U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Yes, the charges in this particular case were dismissed, but similar disputes involving "visible" vegetable gardens still abound across the country.
Funny no-one has brought this up yet, sources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,618,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Funny no-one has brought this up yet, sources?
Sources...

Personal experience of my very own. I have had more than one run-in with vague city and HOA ordinances attempting to dictate what plants and hardscaping I was "allowed" on my property.

Personal experience of my sister, my aunt, my cousin, my best friend, two of my old bosses, six former office mates, one of my college professors, the manager of my feed store, the sales clerk at our parts store, and over 25 people I met at our local farmer's market...

Not everything makes the local and national news.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM

43,474 posts, read 52,497,423 times
This is off topic, but why is this woman being called, "Mother"?
Why not "Woman Faces Jail Time" or "Local Resident Threatened with the Pokey"?

WTF is this 'mother' business?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is off topic, but why is this woman being called, "Mother"?
Why not "Woman Faces Jail Time" or "Local Resident Threatened with the Pokey"?

WTF is this 'mother' business?
If you look at the picture those are her children....

Women with children are usually called mothers in this society.....

Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM

43,474 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Quote:
If you look at the picture those are her children....

Women with children are usually called mothers in this society.....
So, sarcasmo, that's the beginning and end of who they are?
Their most defining characteristic?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM

5,090 posts, read 9,834,822 times
Called a slant or angle on a story.

But you know this.

The Headline if on Faux -- Crazy Veggie Terrorist Threatens Local Economy and Home Values.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,892,010 times
Quote:
Can we get real here? She has a husband and two kids, just how much food will those beds produce?

Her front yard as it sits is an absolute neighborhood eye-sore.

UPDATE: Charges Dropped!

According to Mrs. Bass' latest post on her blog, the misdemeanor charge against her for growing vegetables in her front yard has been dropped. Her attorney went to the courthouse earlier today to file a motion to dismiss the charges, and was told that the charges had already been dropped. However: the ordinance has not been changed, and Mrs. Bass still has her garden.
I posted that awhile back.

Here it is. I don't know what happened, but it was deleted, at end of page 2.

I stated this was an old story, which is what I asked initially.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/oak-park-drops-charges-against-julie-bass-and-her-vegetable-garden_20110714_dk (broken link)

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,409,415 times
Quote:
Doesn't use any water, doesn't use gasoline/electric, doesn't need to be fed and doesn't look ugly if a drought hits....

How does zero scaping create snake and pest pits yet something like this doesn't?

I don't like that either, that is just the same messy look as the first one, but with plants.

Look at the picture of the zero scaping one, see the large rocks piled there? It is a snake/rat/pest catch depending on where you live. In CA where I used to live, that would be a rattlesnake haven. If there is one thing you don't do when you live in th country like that is surround your home with large rocks piled on each other.

As for what it requires, some people enjoy working in their yards. I grew up with parents that had a huge landscaped yard front and back that took an enormous amount of effort to keep up, but they loved it.

There is nothing wrong with your zero scape yard (other than the mention I made), I just think it is ugly looking, but then again it isn't my yard and so I really don't care.

When I think of things that people do with their yards that are "eyesores", I think of trash, old broken cars, toys scattered, etc... lying around. There are numerous other "personal" distastes I have varying from color to home style, and I despise homes that are packed together tightly, but... it isn't my property and if I hate it that much, I will pack up and move or not buy in the first place.

As for home values, I don't buy homes for the "market" game anyway, and personally, I am the type that doesn't like to buy a home unless it is at the minimum of 10 acres (usually prefer 30 acres or more). That is how I deal with neighbors and living next to people that I may not care for.

Past that, I respect the right of the property owner far more than I do my subjective opinion on looks and the like of the property of another.

Last edited by Nomander; 05-03-2012 at 06:31 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
As for home values, I don't buy homes for the "market" game anyway, and personally, I am the type that doesn't like to buy a home unless it is at the minimum of 10 acres (usually prefer 30 acres or more). That is how I deal with neighbors and living next to people that I may not care for.
I'm sure the neighbors of this woman will take solace in the fact you can afford to purchase a home with that amount of acreage and don't have to worry about a neighbors home bringing down property values....

Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,618,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I posted that awhile back.

Here it is. I don't know what happened, but it was deleted, at end of page 2.

I stated this was an old story, which is what I asked initially.
Oak Park Drops Charges Against Julie Bass and Her Vegetable Garden (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/oak-park-drops-charges-against-julie-bass-and-her-vegetable-garden_20110714_dk - broken link)
nope, wasn't deleted... it's still there in Post #10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living