Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

It is mandatory in Australia and New Zealand to label GM foods since December 2001...this requirement was put in place by food ministers to assist consumers to purchase or avoid GM foods, depending on their own views and beliefs...GM foods and ingrediants (including food additives and processing aids from GM sources) MUST be identified with labels that say "genetically modified" if novel DNA and/or novel protein from an approved GM variety is present in the final food...and GM foodstuffs must be labelled if they have altered characteristics....http://www.gmfreeireland.org/press/G.......commenting on Irelands ban...the USA executive Director of the Non GMO Project...Megan Thompson said..." Ireland has taken a truly inspiring step towards ensuring consumers the right to choose non-gmo products. As more and more companies in the USA and Canada are looking for non GMO ingrediants, this is a very timely move, and we look forward to developing sourcing opportunities with GM-free producers in Ireland.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It is mandatory in Australia and New Zealand to label GM foods since December 2001...this requirement was put in place by food ministers to assist consumers to purchase or avoid GM foods, depending on their own views and beliefs...GM foods and ingrediants (including food additives and processing aids from GM sources) MUST be identified with labels that say "genetically modified" if novel DNA and/or novel protein from an approved GM variety is present in the final food...and GM foodstuffs must be labelled if they have altered characteristics....http://www.gmfreeireland.org/press/G.......commenting on Irelands ban...the USA executive Director of the Non GMO Project...Megan Thompson said..." Ireland has taken a truly inspiring step towards ensuring consumers the right to choose non-gmo products. As more and more companies in the USA and Canada are looking for non GMO ingrediants, this is a very timely move, and we look forward to developing sourcing opportunities with GM-free producers in Ireland.
Who cares about the land of oz or kiwi's? Or one of the almost bankrupt loser EU countries?

You still have a problem following an OP don't you?

I humbly suggest you go back and re-read the OP and the URL, it's not about the gmo labeling it's about
Quote:
That's because the initiative muddies the definition of a "natural" food.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Like I said plwhit....there is NO muddying of the water....maybe to YOU....not to me, nor to the many countries who have already done so.....most people WANT labelling, and even if it's for that reason alone....the people should be respected....the only one who's got a problem with "muddying the def of natural foods" is Monsanto....and possibly YOU.......Polls on GMO Labeling « Label Genetically Engineered Food

Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Like I said plwhit....there is NO muddying of the water....maybe to YOU....not to me, nor to the many countries who have already done so.....most people WANT labelling, and even if it's for that reason alone....the people should be respected....the only one who's got a problem with "muddying the def of natural foods" is Monsanto....and possibly YOU.......Polls on GMO Labeling « Label Genetically Engineered Food
Again, go back and reread (or read for the first time) what the uproar is about.

Nowhere in the article does it mention Monsanto as the entity doing the "muddying the def of natural foods".. Please post the appropriate paragraphs out of the article I posted in the OP where it says Monsanto is behind this "muddying the def of natural foods" and I'll apologize, otherwise it's nothing more than:

Once again someones hysteria and fear gets the better of them.....

Old 06-17-2012, 03:06 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
I'm rather amused that the OP doesn't even realize what is relevant to his original post.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:36 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Closing thread because it is no longer a productive conversation, has devolved into yet another argumentative GMO debate.

For anyone interested in the California initiative, the original text of the initiative submitted to the legislature can be found here. The initiative defines the proposed labeling and branding requirements, exemptions and tolerances/limits allowed, and enforcement protocols under Article 6.6 of the State's Health and Safety Code (the Sherman Food, Drug and Cosmetic's law).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living