U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM

26,250 posts, read 18,906,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Also, I think you're wrongly viewing all GMO crops as some sort of Zombie Apocolypse type thing. They aren't! RoundUp Ready crops have part of a DNA Gene Sequence REMOVED from them - the part that makes them susceptible to glyphosate. There isn't some heinous 3rd-arm-growing hormone ADDED.

People need to get over this crazy, "OMG IT'S GMO!!!!!!!!" obsessive frenzy that ignorant city people have whipped them into. It's one thing to be intelligently cautious. It's another to be blindly crazy.
although i strongly agree with your anti-hysteria stance, the bolded part is not accurate.

plants have an enzyme that is essential for making certain amino acids called 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase [abbreviate EPSPS]. glyphosate binds this enzyme and inactivates it.

the modified EPSPS DNA sequence that has been introduced into roundup ready corn is different by a mere 0.3% from the wild type, but this is still enough that the modified EPSPS enzyme produced in roundup ready corn has a far lower affinity for glyphosate. thus, resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

347 posts, read 714,294 times
Not to change the subject... but I can't help but wonder how many of the folks who are so worried about getting cancer from small amounts of Class III & V carcinogen pesticide residue have tested their homes for radon, a Class I carcinogen present in 1 of every 15 homes across the country ... a much more prevalent threat with a much higher likelihood of causing you and your family cancer.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,823,639 times
Radon is fairly region specific. If the county you live in advises that your home gets checked, most people do.

I spent a lot of my childhood in a basement playroom that was later found to have fairly high radon levels so I'm healthily aware of the risks. Chest X-rays, thankfully, are cheap.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM

347 posts, read 714,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Radon is fairly region specific. If the county you live in advises that your home gets checked, most people do.
Not true at all actually, but thats for another thread... I was just making a point.
EPA Map of Radon Zones | Radon | US EPA
A Citizen's Guide to Radon | Radon | US Environmental Protection Agency

Old 06-09-2012, 12:48 PM

21,094 posts, read 23,822,000 times
Continuing the effort to over come the super weed, monsanto is hoping to finalize approval for their ENLIST brand of corn seed.

The corn has been genetically engineered to be immune to 2,4-D, an ingredient used in Agent Orange that some say could pose a serious threat to the environment and to human health.

Agent Orange Corn

Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 PM

833 posts, read 1,466,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Continuing the effort to over come the super weed, monsanto is hoping to finalize approval for their ENLIST brand of corn seed.

The corn has been genetically engineered to be immune to 2,4-D, an ingredient used in Agent Orange that some say could pose a serious threat to the environment and to human health.

Agent Orange Corn
2,4-D is one of the mildest herbicides on the market.

It is the main ingredient in lawn herbicides and anyone can purchase it just about anyplace.

Go post your scare tactics elsewhere !

Old 06-09-2012, 02:02 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,320,162 times
Quote:

Agent Orange Corn
Good lord...

First of all, you can spray ANY corn with 2,4d and it will NOT be harmed. It has been that way since 2,4d was first invented and used DURING WORLD WAR 2.

Do you understand that? 70 years! 2,4d has been being used for 70 years. This is NOT some new "Agent Orange" ingredient that is suddenly going to wipe all life forms off the planet.

I am absolutely dumbfounded by the sources you choose to read, and the asinine things you choose to believe.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times
Quote:

Agent Orange Corn
Still posting FUD with your some say URL's I see...

Forget the millions around the world that will benefit from this....

Makes a lot of sense that when it comes to global warming and climate change the scientists are absolutely correct in everything they say but when it comes to GMO crops the scientists are all wrong and can't be trusted

Ahhh the environmentalist mentality, ya gotta love it.....

Monsanto has done more to alleviate world hunger than any environmental/tree hugger concert(s) ever will....

Last edited by plwhit; 06-09-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,320,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Still posting FUD with your some say URL's I see...

Forget the millions around the world that will benefit from this....

Makes a lot of sense that when it comes to global warming and climate change the scientists are absolutely correct in everything they say but when it comes to GMO crops the scientists are all wrong and can't be trusted

Ahhh the environmentalist mentality, ya gotta love it.....

Monsanto has done more to alleviate world hunger than any environmental/tree hugger concert(s) ever will....
Oh NOW you've gone and done it! Talk down their CONCERTS! How DARE you?!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living