Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimspy View Post
So...it's all about the money? All of it? The entire thing, from John Tyndall in 1859, through Arrhenius, through the Air Force high-altitude experiments showing that heat was being absorbed in the CO2 part of the spectrum, to James Hanson, to the Pentagon's long-range climate change planning...all of it, is entirely for the purpose of someone making money?

Really?
Get off your high horse.

The earth's climate has changed, and gone through cycles, as long as the earth has existed. All science points to that as fact.

Have human being contributed? Yes, but probably in an extremely minor way.

Should we be as environmentally responsible as possible? Yes.

Should we go ape nuts, throw money at idiots like Al Gore (who flies all over the world in his private jet, and whose mansion burns up 10x the amount of electricity as a regular home)? No.

I live in an environmentally friendly way - undeoubtedly FAR more green than you - but I do not worship the earth.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Well, now, you know, you can worship the earth as our home without going all crazy about it. And, yes, it is possible to live in an extremely environmentally friendly way without swallowing every scare tactic that comes down the pike whole and trying to get everyone else to blindly do so, too.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Obviously there are still global warming deniers. It is crazy.

Factory Farms are the WORST offenders - not only when it comes to contaminated food, animal cruelty but global warming.

BTW, I don't worship the earth. Nor do I hug trees. I hug animals though and I'm greatful to God for the Earth He has given us.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
And I do rescue work - probably spend 30 to 40 hours a week at it on top of my regular job and taking care of my own animals. That doesn't mean I have to swallow everything I'm told whole. (For example, HSUS - biggest racket going these days and it has nothing to do with animal welfare and everything to do with fleecing the gullible's pockets.)

Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Obviously there are still global warming deniers. It is crazy.

Factory Farms are the WORST offenders
- not only when it comes to contaminated food, animal cruelty but global warming.

BTW, I don't worship the earth. Nor do I hug trees. I hug animals though and I'm greatful to God for the Earth He has given us.
Oh boy - the Factory Farms rants...

I've never yet found a "factory farm ranter" who can actually tell me what a factory farm is, nor tell me where they all are. I've talked to a LOT of people who have a lot of extremely inaccurate opinions, but nobody who has much knowledge.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Get off your high horse.

The earth's climate has changed, and gone through cycles, as long as the earth has existed. All science points to that as fact.

Have human being contributed? Yes, but probably in an extremely minor way.

Should we be as environmentally responsible as possible? Yes.

Should we go ape nuts, throw money at idiots like Al Gore (who flies all over the world in his private jet, and whose mansion burns up 10x the amount of electricity as a regular home)? No.

I live in an environmentally friendly way - undeoubtedly FAR more green than you - but I do not worship the earth.

I wonder if The Gores use a dryer, or hang their freshly washed laundry on an eco-friendly ( go green) clothesline, like I do.

and no, i still don't buy any of this global warming crap.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I wonder if The Gores use a dryer, or hang their freshly washed laundry on an eco-friendly ( go green) clothesline, like I do.

and no, i still don't buy any of this global warming crap.
That was a rhetorical question, right?

And actually, unless my memory fails me, Al & Tipper are divorced. There must have been some "other things" that weren't quite right...

Honestly, I think what irks me about the militant greenies is their incredible hypocrisy. Most of them talk a big talk, but they simply don't live it. Period.

My wife & I aren't big talking greenies. We do, however, have 3 large gardens. We also live 1/2 mile from her office, and about 1 mile from mine. We put less than 10,000 miles per year on all our vehicles (combined). I've super-insulated & sealed, so that our 4400 square foot house only requires $50 per month (even-pay) of natural gas to heat. We recycle, we compost, all that junk. We just do it because it's the right and smart thing to do.

Then I see & hear all these dipsticks like Al Gore, and other Celebrity Greenies, that are just idiots. Some wise guy added it up several years ago, and confirmed that Gore went through over 56,000 gallons of jet fuel, flying all over the country promoting his film, "Inconvenient Truth." Ummm... REALLY? Why doesn't he just admit that he's in it for the money, then shut up and go home.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Oh boy - the Factory Farms rants...

I've never yet found a "factory farm ranter" who can actually tell me what a factory farm is, nor tell me where they all are. I've talked to a LOT of people who have a lot of extremely inaccurate opinions, but nobody who has much knowledge.
I can tell you what they are. Do you want to see pictures? They are places that put family farms out of business and keep animals in cruel and inhumane conditions.

Since the harbor and kill huge quantities of animals in an efficient way, they are called "factory farms."

They are not under the jurisdiction of local humane societies, so essentially they can do what they want.

They are not a myth.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I can tell you what they are. Do you want to see pictures? They are places that put family farms out of business and keep animals in cruel and inhumane conditions.

Since the harbor and kill huge quantities of animals in an efficient way, they are called "factory farms."

They are not under the jurisdiction of local humane societies, so essentially they can do what they want.

They are not a myth.
City girl.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Quote:

They are not a myth.
Why is it this forum has more people that seem to be clueless when it comes to staying on topic?

factory farms and global warming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living