U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM

18,633 posts, read 23,219,501 times

Advertisements

I'm curious because there is a HUGE connection between our environmental health and factory faming.

Any Vegetarians out there? Any one leaning Vegetarian or Vegan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM

18,633 posts, read 23,219,501 times
Anyone?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,409,634 times
What is the HUGE connection?

Accredited news sources will be acceptable....

Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,338,586 times
No, no. No, and no.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,109,334 times
I'm a vegetarian (food-wise, I'm vegan), but I'm not sure my reasons are "green". In my case, it's more a matter of animal rights and of trying to avoid/minimise cruelty against other sentient beings.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,409,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What is the HUGE connection?

Accredited news sources will be acceptable....
Sheena12?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,318,973 times
I definitely believe cattle farming is detrimental to the environment but I do consume meat. I try to minimize how much I eat. Hardly ever eat stakes or beef ribs. I have burgers about once a week and occasionally meatloaf and hot dogs. All the finer foods . I'm also doing my part not to spawn more meat eaters.

Then again if everyone was a vegetarian, I'm not sure we'd have any forests left. There's be a lot more demand for crops. More and more chemicals and irrigation needed. I could be wrong but that's one of the things I wonder about.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,631,693 times
I am NOT a vegetarian or vegan because I know that humans are physically adapted omnivores and require nutrients our digestive systems can only derive from animal products or derive more efficiently from animal products (Vitamin B-12, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, protein, etc). I also believe that raising livestock conscientiously with species appropriate diets and housing is a large part of any sustainable and self-sustaining farming operation; animals and plants living together in mutually beneficial relationships, just like it occurs in nature.

My concern with factory farming isn't anti-meat/anti-livestock, it's about the methods used which are not sustainable, humane, environmentally conscientious or species appropriate in most cases. The documented risks are extensive, but here are a few:

Airborne Bacteria in CAFOs: Transfer of Resistance from Animals to Humans
Antibiotic resistant enterococci and staph... [Sci Total Environ. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
Airborne Multidrug-Resistant Bacteria Isolated from a Concentrated Swine Feeding Operation
National Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production | Reports
John Robbins: Why Factory Farms Threaten Your Health
Environment, factory farms harm the environment - The Issues - Sustainable Table (summary, please also read the linked sources in the bibliography at the bottom of the page)

Old 06-17-2012, 04:52 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,631,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I definitely believe cattle farming is detrimental to the environment but I do consume meat. I try to minimize how much I eat. Hardly ever eat stakes or beef ribs. I have burgers about once a week and occasionally meatloaf and hot dogs. All the finer foods . I'm also doing my part not to spawn more meat eaters.

Then again if everyone was a vegetarian, I'm not sure we'd have any forests left. There's be a lot more demand for crops. More and more chemicals and irrigation needed. I could be wrong but that's one of the things I wonder about.
Yep - that's one aspect that gets a lot of attention in "The Vegetarian Myth". It's a fallacy that livestock uses more land than crops. They both pretty much use the same amount of land and the same square footage provides us roughly the same amount of nutrients, but what you have to do to the land is completely different... livestock eat grass, weeds and brush which pretty much grow on their own without much cultivation; whereas food crops require a LOT of cultivation with tilling, fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and irrigation. Even if we didn't clear cut a forest for fields and used our best organic methods, food crops would still use more resources for the land area.

This infographic shows roughly how much land a family would require to grow & raise their own food in a temperate climate with decent soil quality... note how much space grains require

How big a yard do you need to live off the fat of the land?

It's not the animals or crops that are "bad", it's how we're raising and growing them that's causing problems. Concentrating operations (animal or plants) may be more efficient and profitable from a business perspective, but the land can't take it. Literally, the land on which the operation rests cannot produce enough nor process enough waste to sustain the operation without bringing in outside inputs and removing the wastes to somewhere else. The same amount of land gets used, but now you have to add in transportation and handling costs

Old 06-17-2012, 04:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,387,593 times
Not to mention, that green living doesn't equate with deprivation. You can treat the planet with respect, and still enjoy a good steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or