Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times

Advertisements

There are several reasons to have storable and portable water supplies, as well as some amount of "individual-sized" packaging. We have great water storage discussions over in Self-Sufficiency & Preparedness Since I have to haul my water down a backwoods trail to the cabin and safely store it when it's well below freezing for 6mos of the year, I've got some unique perspectives on the importance of available clean water, the durability of packaging for transport and storage, and the amount of waste and ease of disposal.

Perhaps the answer to the questionably-durable thinner "green" bottles is to start using resealable stand-up spout pouches. They both use roughly the same amount of plastic, and are both technically recyclable, but the pouches take up considerably less space in landfills and processing stations. While they are a little "floppy" compared to bottles, the pouches do resist heat/cold, impact/puncture and freeze/pressure damage better than the more rigid bottles. At least the "survival" oriented pouches I've used... cheaper/lower quality ones may be just as bad as flimsy bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The idea of an unstable bottle was invented centuries ago by pub owners serving beer in tumblers with round bottoms. They figured, and PepsiCo has copied, that the drinkers would drink faster if they could not set the bottle down. This is why these bottles tip over.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times
Why not take the to fill water in condoms. I have the same problem with these bottles that are as close to the condom material.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
I use cases of water here. I buy the smaller bottles and gallon jugs. The smaller bottles are easier to keep in a cooler. Mainly it is my hurricane preparations. After a storm hits, water is contaminated. No power means even if you have a well, you may not be able to use it. It has to be stored somewhere and trust me when I tell you that large plastic storage containers also get contaminated and are a PITA to clean.

It is a convenience thing - and I try to NOT use them and get water from my fridge that is filtered and cooled already. But sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

BTW, I do not like Aquafina at all. The Bottle it is in or the taste of the water....

Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Where does it say that I'm care how many paper towels I use?
I don't. Nor do I care to save the planet you hippie.
You do realize that you've posted to Green Living, right? Your complaint is better suited to Shopping and Consumer Products or Food and Drink. Perhaps a mod will be kind enough to move the thread to a more appropriate forum.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-27-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
Sometimes what works is opening top and smacking bottle down a bit - shouldn't have to do that but it's what I've found.

Since companies put those crappy eco sport tops on bottles I quit buying those; now I find decent pull-up spout bottles and refill them.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
They're owned by Pepsi---a multi-billion dollar company.
They can't fix that?
They'll never get my money again.
I guess THATS why the shelf in Wallyworld was full to the brim.

And as for it being no better than tap water....
They may be somewhat true, but it's not true at all here in Nevada.
The water here is horrible and everybody knows it.
You have to chew it to get it down.
I usually just refill the 5 gallon, but I needed some single unopened bottles for guests that come over. That's why I bought a 24 pack.

Never again....
Why would Pepsi want to "fix" the problem when they have lots of customers who are willing to buy the product?

The better question is why do people buy the product? Seems Pepsi is much smarter than their customers.

You can get a filtration system that costs less per gallon to use it than it costs to buy bottled water.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why would Pepsi want to "fix" the problem when they have lots of customers who are willing to buy the product?

The better question is why do people buy the product? Seems Pepsi is much smarter than their customers.

You can get a filtration system that costs less per gallon to use it than it costs to buy bottled water.
Yes and no. Most people - yes. Some places the water is so bad it would be difficult at best to filter it out to where it is safe to drink.

We buy bottled water for the kids to have at sports practices at away games. And we can chill it in a cooler for them. Along with other sports drinks.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
Why not just pour the water into a glass for the guest, and then put the glass on a coaster?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Why not just pour the water into a glass for the guest, and then put the glass on a coaster?
Not quite sure who this is directed at, but my uses are where that doesn't work. Out in a sporting contest or when there is no power and/or when the water supply is contaminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living