U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,094 posts, read 23,822,000 times
Reputation: 7812

Advertisements

What is with all theses people? Seems 90% of the country want their food identified as containing GMOs if they are made from GMO crops.



Recent national surveys by the Mellman Group and MSNBC, as well as polls conducted over the last two decades, indicate that 90 percent of U.S. consumers want to know whether or not the foods they eat and feed to their families have been genetically engineered.


Read more: Should genetically modified food be labeled?

Lets educate these folks before their fear spreads.

Should genetically modified foods be labeled?

 
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times
Reputation: 7641
Default GM wheat trial continues despite opposition

If this is successful it means less pesticides used and less pest damage to the crops.

Bottom line, less people will starve to death worldwide....

GM wheat trial continues despite opposition | Sci-Tech | DW.DE
 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Reputation: 3358
Interesting note about this particular GM wheat -- the engineered alteration is to produce target enzymes not proteins. Enzymes are generally not as problematic and long-lived as proteins. However, the engineering technique used for both modifications is the same, and if there is a fault in the technique that produces unintended side-effects in gene expression (as suspected by Pusztai and other researchers), then the potential for adverse long-term effects could still be present.

I'd be interested in seeing whether this modified enzyme actually yields better results than other conventional aphid control measures and truly reduces toxic pesticide usage without compromising the quality of the crop or increasing other cultivation costs.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 AM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Reputation: 3358
Default GMO News and Discussion Thread

This thread is dedicated for general news, issue updates, and respectful discussions regarding Genetically Modified Organisms and Genetically Engineered Foods as they relate to Green Living.

Please remember to properly quote and cite copyrighted material, with links to sources whenever possible. If citing news articles, please include a short summary indicating how it pertains to Green Living. If posting an update on a previously discussed issue or news article, please reference and link to the previous mention if possible.


Keep in mind this is a volatile topic and many people have strong emotional and philosophical opinions about it. Also remember that this is a relatively new technology and comprehensive long-term studies are not yet available; as such, there is a wide range of divergent and conflicting data and interpretations on the subject. You do not have to agree with the opposition's viewpoint, but you should respect it by "agreeing to disagree".


Whether you agree or disagree with someone's viewpoint, please remember to keep your replies civil
and productive. You may dispute information with counter points; but bashing, bullying and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. Violations of the ToS will be edited or deleted at the moderators' discretion, and infractions issued as appropriate.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-10-2012 at 03:57 AM..
 
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,094 posts, read 23,822,000 times
Reputation: 7812
Default NEWS: Biotech Companies About to Gain Immunity from Federal Law

Seems the government, Moderator cut: political slur, are ready to open the door and let Biotechnology run RAMPANT!

After decades of failures with Bt corn and cotton, the US government continues to give free reign to Monsanto, DOW and other corporations (including Bayer).

The USA is just about the ONLY country that allows biotechnology to operate UNCHECKED and with near immunity.

According to the Organic Consumer's Organization:
Quote:
A so-called "Monsanto rider," quietly slipped into the multi-billion dollar FY 2013 Agricultural Appropriations bill, would require - not just allow, but require - the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for the planting or cultivation of a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed. All the farmer or the biotech producer has to do is ask, and the questionable crops could be released into the environment where they could potentially contaminate conventional or organic crops and, ultimately, the nation's food supply.
The MONSANTO RIDER

Organic Consumer Association

USDA WATCH

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-10-2012 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: removed political slur, fixed quote and citing
 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM
 
26,254 posts, read 18,906,561 times
Reputation: 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Interesting note about this particular GM wheat -- the engineered alteration is to produce target enzymes not proteins. Enzymes are generally not as problematic and long-lived as proteins. However, the engineering technique used for both modifications is the same, and if there is a fault in the technique that produces unintended side-effects in gene expression (as suspected by Pusztai and other researchers), then the potential for adverse long-term effects could still be present.

I'd be interested in seeing whether this modified enzyme actually yields better results than other conventional aphid control measures and truly reduces toxic pesticide usage without compromising the quality of the crop or increasing other cultivation costs.
enzymes are proteins.

that said, this is a very neat idea to make wheat produce the same insect alarm pheremone that is present in other plants. if they were smart, they'd figure out a way to do their field trials somewhere outside europe where there is less opposition to this technology..
 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
 
26,254 posts, read 18,906,561 times
Reputation: 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Lets educate these folks before their fear spreads.
yes, let's do that. but let's use science instead of Moderator cut: instigating propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems the government, Moderator cut: political slur, are ready to open the door and let Biotechnology run RAMPANT!

After decades of failures with Bt corn and cotton, the US government continues to give free reign to Monsanto, DOW and other corporations (including Bayer).
what 'decades of failures?

why would farmers keep buying these products if they were such 'failures'? they wouldn't.

Quote:
The USA is just about the ONLY country that allows biotechnology to operate UNCHECKED and with near immunity.
unchecked? you mean i can whip up just any old biotech ag product and immediately start growing it and selling it?

that's hardly how it works.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-10-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: removed inflammatory wording and edited moderated quote
 
Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Reputation: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
enzymes are proteins.
True, but they serve very different functions, I'm sorry for the over-simplification. Please let me clarify:

Enzymes are a form of functional protein that control and facilitate biological activity by triggering target substrates to produce a certain substance or reaction, and interacting with other molecules, compounds and proteins. Enzymes are comparatively short-lived catalysts and only affect species that contain the requisite corresponding substrate.

Proteins are the expressed form of genes, and they form physiological structures (stems, leaves, muscle, bone, skin, etc). They also have a function in nearly every biological process in the body (including enzyme production). Proteins are comparatively long-lived and can affect any species that consume them.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Reputation: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
unchecked? you mean i can whip up just any old biotech ag product and immediately start growing it and selling it?

that's hardly how it works.
Perhaps it would be more useful if you explained how the agricultural biotech approval process does work in the US.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
 
12,883 posts, read 15,360,866 times
Reputation: 14824
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What is with all theses people? Seems 90% of the country want their food identified as containing GMOs if they are made from GMO crops.



Recent national surveys by the Mellman Group and MSNBC, as well as polls conducted over the last two decades, indicate that 90 percent of U.S. consumers want to know whether or not the foods they eat and feed to their families have been genetically engineered.

Read more: Should genetically modified food be labeled?

Lets educate these folks before their fear spreads.

Should genetically modified foods be labeled?
It's a BIG problem all right....and the problem IS that 10% of the people ( by your account)..figure they know better, than the other 90%.....blatant disrespect far as I'm concerned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top