U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times
Reputation: 7641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've been overcome by fabric softener fumes in the store, and also by the fumes from certain detergents.

Those not sincerely interested in Green Living needn't post here. This forum is for people who want to share information and experiences regarding living a more healthful life and being aware of hidden risk factors in the man-made environment.
I am all for sharing FACTS, TRUTH and things that make life easier on the environment.

I detest where an extreme minority have an adverse reaction to <something> and then make blanket statements saying <something> is bad for the majority, especially when there is absolutely NO PROOF other than the personal reaction to <something>....

 
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
17,785 posts, read 53,968,601 times
Reputation: 30103
I'm going to surprise a few people and tend to side with dizzybint on this one. The issue is one of risk/rewards. On the positive side, clothing can feel less scratchy and drape better when a fabric softener is used. On the negative side, there is the initial cost of the softener, the interactions of the odor with other odors (if you wear an expensive perfume with a minimal odor footprint and use fabric softener heavily, guess which one people smell?), the diminution of general olfactory sensitivity (ask people who have stopped smoking about the changes in the tastes of foods and ability to smell discrete smells), the growing lack of absorbancy in fabrics drenched with softeners (I've used towels that refused to properly wick moisture because of excess softener use), and the possible effects of long term chemical exposure.

I'll agree that the long term chemical exposure issue is a possibility and may only affect certain people, but frankly I don't see wasting money on fabric softener other than the occasional time when the static in clothes or scratchiness get too annoying. Using it as a standard "add fabric softener with every wash" is wasteful of money, increases an unnecessary exposure to chemicals, and can stink up clothes and neighborhoods.

I'm not rushing to defend a product that is overhyped, overused, and overpriced.
 
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,393 posts, read 13,069,355 times
Reputation: 72216
The chemicals/solvents in Those fabric conditioners are very dangerous hazardous waste. It really is a no-brainer.
I don't give a damn about your URLs and studies; I was the person in charge of the documentation and storage of those materials for Palm Beach County, Florida. When you've studied all the Material Data Safety Sheets you sort of get some insight into this subject.

That garbage isn't allowed in my home. It should be banned.
 
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times
Reputation: 7641
For the amount of decades that fabric softeners have been on the market can anyone explain to me why if they are such a "very dangerous hazardous waste" why they haven't been banned and major warnings released by the EPA?

All that searching the web turns up is the usual paranoid green web sites that take offense at anything begat by modern technology....
 
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm going to surprise a few people and tend to side with dizzybint on this one. The issue is one of risk/rewards. On the positive side, clothing can feel less scratchy and drape better when a fabric softener is used. On the negative side, there is the initial cost of the softener, the interactions of the odor with other odors (if you wear an expensive perfume with a minimal odor footprint and use fabric softener heavily, guess which one people smell?), the diminution of general olfactory sensitivity (ask people who have stopped smoking about the changes in the tastes of foods and ability to smell discrete smells), the growing lack of absorbancy in fabrics drenched with softeners (I've used towels that refused to properly wick moisture because of excess softener use), and the possible effects of long term chemical exposure.

I'll agree that the long term chemical exposure issue is a possibility and may only affect certain people, but frankly I don't see wasting money on fabric softener other than the occasional time when the static in clothes or scratchiness get too annoying. Using it as a standard "add fabric softener with every wash" is wasteful of money, increases an unnecessary exposure to chemicals, and can stink up clothes and neighborhoods.

I'm not rushing to defend a product that is overhyped, overused, and overpriced.
So personally you are against fabric softeners, don't see any problem there.

But what this thread is about is they are hazardous to everyone's health...
 
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
17,785 posts, read 53,968,601 times
Reputation: 30103
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So personally you are against fabric softeners, don't see any problem there.

But what this thread is about is they are hazardous to everyone's health...
I agree that extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof. I also agree that fearmongering is a vile disease that many in the green movement have caught and attempt to use in the promotion of an agenda. I merely point out that with all that put aside, the core concept that there is an excessive and even illogical use of chemical fabric softeners does have merit.

Evaluating conflicting claims requires separating out the hyperbole on both sides and examining closing what CAN be shown factually.

There is a portion of the public that regards fabric softener with the same glee that my brother used to regard ketchup as a child. Slather it on anything, more is better. Such extremes of excess are also based in fear and trust in hyperbole.
 
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,264 posts, read 12,523,140 times
Reputation: 22096
Im not a tree hugger or green achtivist, I do however have an environmental illness, damaged through my workplace at age seventeen when I worked with inks, glues, varnishes , developing fluids, and bronzing.. this was forty three years ago.. this then made the lesser things like furniture polishes, household cleaners start to cause the same horrible symptoms.. moving on to perfumes and all petro chemical substances. I noticed that air fresheners , especially plugins and fabric conditioners caused the most harmful effects as their was no way of getting away from them in the air. and why I used the fabric conditioner as an example. this isnt in any way scaremongering, I had thought that having this section on the board for green issues it would be fine to try and encourage some especially with younger kids not to use this product.. I work closely with Allergy UK as a phone contact support, to try and help others who are ill, also to find and use alternatives to these types of products, and there are many now, thank god that you can buy in the shops without the toxic things in them, for cleaning etc.. have you noticed how big companies are now introducing what they say are safer alternatives... some good some not so good... as many claim what they're not so its best to check out reputable companies.. I use one in the UK.. but if I put it on I might be told Im advertising or using this as a platform for that company.. Sorry for going on , but thought I should explain why I put this post on....
 
Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
1,520 posts, read 2,254,132 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I am all for sharing FACTS, TRUTH and things that make life easier on the environment.

I detest where an extreme minority have an adverse reaction to <something> and then make blanket statements saying <something> is bad for the majority, especially when there is absolutely NO PROOF other than the personal reaction to <something>....
maybe you could just stop arguing and actually google it and decide for yourself instead of making other people do that?

Google
 
Old 07-29-2012, 06:32 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
maybe you could just stop arguing and actually google it and decide for yourself instead of making other people do that?

Google
I guess you didn't read post #19.....

Quote:
All that searching the web turns up is the usual paranoid green web sites that take offense at anything begat by modern technology....
I don't consider Naturallifemagazine, Naturalnews, Ourlittleplace, Welltrainedmind, Greentobe.blogspot, Holistichealthsecrets etc.etc. to be reputable scientific organizations....

If you read the dialogue between harry c. and myself you would understand that we agreed that everyone has the right to like/dislike a product but to tell everyone that a product is dangerous, hazardous to people's health and a hazardous waste without a shred of reputable scientific evidence is wrong...

Last edited by plwhit; 07-29-2012 at 06:43 PM..
 
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,387,674 times
Reputation: 7641
Correction to the above, it's Post # 14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top