Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Fabric conditioners in your wash are hazardous to our health.. please stop using them... the reason it is more dangerous to us is because the clothes are worn all day ingesting into the body, or on sheets while we sleep..the smells are also all round your home in the air we breath.. something I think that should never have been on sale..

People are discovering that fabric softeners are some of the most toxic products made for daily household use. They contain chemicals (like chloroform, benzyl acetate and pentane) that are known to cause cancer and/or damage to lungs, brain, and nerves. These chemicals are even more dangerous when heated in clothes dryers. The toxic fumes then go into neighborhood air and everyone for blocks around is forced to breathe them in.

Fabric softener chemicals are made to stay in clothes fibers and slowly release for a very long time. That slow release of chemicals into the air affects the health of those wearing the clothes and of people around them.

Some symptoms caused by fabric softener fumes are: tiredness that is not cured by resting, difficulty breathing, nervousness for no known reason, difficulty concentrating and remembering, dizziness, headaches, sick stomach, feeling faint, rashes and/or difficulty controlling body movements.

Babies, children, older people, and people who are already sick are especially hurt by these chemicals. Damage can be permanent, causing lifelong illness. Babies often react with rashes, frequent crying and/or diarrhea. Disinfectants can have the same effects. Experts suggest a possible connection between Sudden Infant Death ("crib death") and the use of these products for washing baby clothes and crib sheets and blankets.

Most fabric softeners have fragrance added to them, which makes them even more toxic.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Are there any reputable scientific studies to back up your allegations?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Fabric conditioners in your wash are hazardous to our health.. please stop using them... the reason it is more dangerous to us is because the clothes are worn all day ingesting into the body, or on sheets while we sleep..the smells are also all round your home in the air we breath.. something I think that should never have been on sale..

People are discovering that fabric softeners are some of the most toxic products made for daily household use. They contain chemicals (like chloroform, benzyl acetate and pentane) that are known to cause cancer and/or damage to lungs, brain, and nerves. These chemicals are even more dangerous when heated in clothes dryers. The toxic fumes then go into neighborhood air and everyone for blocks around is forced to breathe them in.

Fabric softener chemicals are made to stay in clothes fibers and slowly release for a very long time. That slow release of chemicals into the air affects the health of those wearing the clothes and of people around them.

Some symptoms caused by fabric softener fumes are: tiredness that is not cured by resting, difficulty breathing, nervousness for no known reason, difficulty concentrating and remembering, dizziness, headaches, sick stomach, feeling faint, rashes and/or difficulty controlling body movements.

Babies, children, older people, and people who are already sick are especially hurt by these chemicals. Damage can be permanent, causing lifelong illness. Babies often react with rashes, frequent crying and/or diarrhea. Disinfectants can have the same effects. Experts suggest a possible connection between Sudden Infant Death ("crib death") and the use of these products for washing baby clothes and crib sheets and blankets.

Most fabric softeners have fragrance added to them, which makes them even more toxic.
People who have chemical sensitivities can't tolerate fabric softeners in the house at all. Dry cleaning fluids can have similar effects. There are dry cleaners who specialize in environmentally-sound cleaning products and techniques. Those would be the ones to search out.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I doubt if there would be too many of us left if this were true. However, I think the smell of them is overpowering, so I don't use them.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Simple rule of thumb: use as fewer household chemicals as possible. Not only people with chemical sensitivity, but anyone who develops autoimmune conditions, cancers, asthma, allergies becomes more attentive to this topic. Do we really need all these household chemicals? Fabric softeners have the least usefulness of them, in my opinion. The smell from some people's clothes (as well as perfumised body and hair products, the smell of their houses slathered in cleaners, air fresheners, and who knows what else) tells me that they have no idea of what chemical bomb they willingly explode in their lives every single day. To me, they are waiting time bombs to develop any number of body-poisonous diseases. Especially striking it is when someone uses extreme care with the food they eat, choosing anti-oxidants, but completely disregarding the chemical environment they create.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Are there any reputable scientific studies to back up your allegations?
yes my own health. I can vouch for the terrible symptoms suffered with these products. IM trying to help others with this post..One of the dangerous chemicals in this product is Chloroform.. jeez, if thats not enough I can name the others.

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-27-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
yes my own health. I can vouch for the terrible symptoms suffered with these products. IM trying to help others with this post..One of the dangerous chemicals in this product is Chloroform.. jeez, if thats not enough I can name the others.
If you can't produce reputable scientific studies showing the dangers of fabric conditioners, well, we all know what that's called.

A PERSONAL reaction...

Imagine what the world would be like if everybody warned everyone else about all the things that caused them reactions or made them sick.

That is why we rely on scientific studies from reputable organizations that have no hidden agenda...

Side note, you do realize that Chloroform is organic in nature and not considered lethal in and of itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroform

Last edited by plwhit; 07-27-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
What "hidden agenda" could dizzybint possibly have? Fabric softeners are vile and most of all, unneccessary. They do nothing that white vinegar in the final rinse cycle can't accomplish.
Walk down the laundry supplies aisle of any supermarket, and you'll choke from the fabric softeners off-gassing.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
What "hidden agenda" could dizzybint possibly have? Fabric softeners are vile and most of all, unneccessary. They do nothing that white vinegar in the final rinse cycle can't accomplish.
Walk down the laundry supplies aisle of any supermarket, and you'll choke from the fabric softeners off-gassing.
I and my family as well as hundreds of thousands of others walk down the laundry isles of supermarkets every day and am not aware of one person who has been overcome by fabric softener fumes.

Maybe I'm wrong, if you post reputable scientific studies supporting your allegations I will be more than happy to read them.

I never said the OP had a "hidden agenda" Don't put words in my mouth....

Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I and my family as well as hundreds of thousands of others walk down the laundry isles of supermarkets every day and am not aware of one person who has been overcome by fabric softener fumes.
I've been overcome by fabric softener fumes in the store, and also by the fumes from certain detergents.

Those not sincerely interested in Green Living needn't post here. This forum is for people who want to share information and experiences regarding living a more healthful life and being aware of hidden risk factors in the man-made environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living