U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 AM

39,121 posts, read 40,471,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Who is the only person they need to benefit.
If you're driving a leaf and paying no road taxes that only benefits you because the cost is passed onto gasoline powered cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:26 AM

39,121 posts, read 40,471,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

Buy a used say, camry, for 5-7k. Spend 1-2k in reconditioning costs. Drive it for another 4-5 years, dump it for 2-4k. Repeat. Net net? Less in insurance and other operating costs for a lower overall total cost of ownership.
New cars are for suckers and people with money to burn. I usually wait until I find a great deal on what I want, last one took a year to find. I purchased a 92 Buick Regal for $3K with 38K on it about 4 years ago, fully loaded, all wheel disc brakes, LOTS of power and nearly perfect condition inside and out. It's basically a sports sedan. I'll have it for another 5 years and when I sell it I'll probably get half my money back if not more.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:24 PM

6,496 posts, read 6,410,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Was there not a fire on the Bonefish? While the sub was submerged, seawater began leaking onto cables and electrical buses in a battery supply cableway. Electrical arcing between cables caused an explosion which flashed into a fire within minutes, with temperatures in the battery spaces reaching 1,200 Fahrenheit. I would consider that a fire SHIPMATE. You must be a Nuke Enlisted, as an O4 wouldnt take this tone. I qualified Oct 1990.
The reason I posted the person I went to church with was , the story he told me was that it could have been worse. You know, like more people could have died.
Are you a submariner? Doubt it. You are probably an A Ganger, never made it past E5.
And the Submariner "Shipmate" didnt have a comma after Submariner. Excuse me......
LOL, we haven't had this problem that much in our community but I understand there are about 5 times as many people who used to be SEALs as there are people who ever were SEALs for real. I guess we are starting to collect them now. Anyone who actually served can tell in about 2 seconds whether I am what I claim to be.

BTW there was an electrical fire on the Bonefish. It was not a battery fire so you trying to make the case that EV batteries are dangerous based upon the Bonefish casualty is EPIC FAIL.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,464,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LOL, we haven't had this problem that much in our community but I understand there are about 5 times as many people who used to be SEALs as there are people who ever were SEALs for real. I guess we are starting to collect them now. Anyone who actually served can tell in about 2 seconds whether I am what I claim to be.

BTW there was an electrical fire on the Bonefish. It was not a battery fire so you trying to make the case that EV batteries are dangerous based upon the Bonefish casualty is EPIC FAIL.
Epic Fail, really. I think it is more of miscommunication. Lets try again.
Okay, one more time. I was trying to say that as far as battery fires go, LiOn arent as easily combated. The Bonefish fire, which had an arc didnt cause as much damage as there could have been because of the type of batterys. It was an electrical bus for the battery's, sorry it wasnt actually the battery. If they were LiOn in there, the fire/damage would have been much worse as the LiOn is a type of battery which will cause severe damage quickly.
And what does SEALS have to do with this? I am not or ever claimed to be a SEAL. As a matter of fact I was stationed with ASDS at SDVT-1 when ASDS blew up due to the LiOn battery short. The Federal Fire department couldnt put it out for 10 hours. Titanium bottles that held the batterys burnt through to the hull, and put a hole in the hull.
So what was your rate and rank shipmate..Do tell. R/STSC(SS)

Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM

6,496 posts, read 6,410,458 times
If you're not submarine qualified then you're a yard bird. Please sit down. Your point about the Bonefish fire has been demonstrated to be bogus. It was not a battery fire. You're just telling stories you heard 2nd and 3rd hand.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
If you're not submarine qualified then you're a yard bird. Please sit down. Your point about the Bonefish fire has been demonstrated to be bogus. It was not a battery fire. You're just telling stories you heard 2nd and 3rd hand.
PM sent. Yard Bird huh. Oct 1990. When did you get your fish? Where?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM

30,600 posts, read 49,198,882 times
Gentlemen, such a display of phallic measuring is distasteful. [there are skimmers present]

The OP of this thread is about 'Installing solar panels and then driving a car like the Leaf'.

btw, dolphins 1978, from then until I retired in '01

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Gentlemen, such a display of phallic measuring is distasteful. [there are skimmers present]

The OP of this thread is about 'Installing solar panels and then driving a car like the Leaf'.

btw, dolphins 1978, from then until I retired in '01
Agree. I apologize to OP. I don't take diggs well.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,335 posts, read 39,604,894 times
Installing solar panels and then driving a car like the Leaf

B-O-T...
  1. Build a VERY cheap passive solar home (not hard to do for well UNDER $100/sf)
  2. Install infloor heat,
  3. Build for Annualized solar (warming earth UNDER the house using excess summer heat)
  4. Get to be Good friends of local chinese & Mex restaurant... Collect their used cooking oil (FREE)
  5. IN your $100 VW Diesel Rabbit running on FREE cooking oil.
  6. Use excess oil to run your Diesel Genset, that feeds extra electricity into the grid WHILE it heats your floors (FREE) from Genset engine heat
  7. Collect your monthly CHECK from the utility company for making more electricity than you use.
50 mpg since 1976, no Dinosaurs or OPEC required

This is SUSTAINABILITY WITHOUT burdening the 'new' economy. Go USED. You can find Diesel Rabbits, passats, golfs, jettas... in your neighbors Brier Patch... (thats where Rabbits hide) I have even got a few for FREE. No Leaf Required... Rabbits eat leaf's for lunch,

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-21-2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,588,101 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as a "Submariner shipmate". You're qualified in Submarines or you aren't.
You are wrong, "Submariner shipmate" is a proper English term. It means the shipmate of another submariner. Look it up.

One thing I have to say to all these anti solar people is that I lived on a yacht for eight years with one solar panel and two deep cycle 12 volt batteries and was very comfortable and wanted for nothing.
This thread is about driving a car on solar produced power. It is being done with more efficiency every year but as more and more people power cars with home made electricity the authorities will begin cracking down on these self reliant pioneers for not paying highway taxes.
No good deed goes unpunished !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living