Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Let's get real. The compressed air is the energy storage method. It has to be compressed and that is where energy is lost to thermal effects. Outside of some rarely used technology to compress air with falling water air is compressed mechanically generally using electricity as the energy source. I suppose (sometimes you have to) the air is compressed at the local recharge stations.

When the compressed air is expanded in a motor it becomes much colder. IIRC the cool exhaust air is ducted to the cabin of these cars as a built in air conditions, in downtown Delhi in the summer this can be an important side effect.

In very limited situations these vehicles may be useful. One place in the US would be shuffling special parts and people around large auto and aircraft factories. They could also be used in underground mining where compressed air is already available as part of normal operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
This would be nice but not very practical.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Why?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Exactly. And that is precisely why so few of them will get sold.

I spent a little time looking at a Ford Focus ELECTRIC, at the MN State Fair yesterday.
2012 Ford Focus Electric Vehicle (EV) | Gas-Free, Battery-Powered Electric Car | Ford.com

The Ford Focus is a nice car. But the Electric model STARTS at just under $40,000. By the time you get the options you'd want/need, it's at least a $45,000 car. Of all the facts that stood out to me, the main one is that it has a between-charges range of just 76 miles. On a practical level, that's probably more like 50 miles.

Basically, the only people who will be buying these cars are wealthy people who can afford to spend over $40,000 on a second car.

We're also being sold a pack of lies, being led to believe that there is no cost to the energy used by electric cars. But I can guarantee you that if you plugged this car in to charge every night, as it sits in your garage, your electric bill is going to go up $100 - $200 per month. Maybe more.

EVERY vehicle requires ENERGY to move. That energy has to come from somewhere. And, unless the source of energy is your legs, you have to PAY for that energy.

The "most green" forms of transportation remain walking, riding a bike and/or living close enough to everything that you don't need a car.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Don't think for a moment that the compressed air tank is going to be filled in a couple of minutes. My guess is it will take quite some time to get a complete fill due to the heat of compression going into the tank.
Yes... Unless they run some sort of intercooler to wick the heat.... The blower motors we used to build would get so hot you couldn't touch them, due to the air compression.... Did some experiments with intercoolers that would force liquid CO2 through piping under the blowers... was a plumbing nightmare.

I wonder if you would get icicles hanging off the 'tailpipe' when you drove around

One thing I find misleading is the title of this thread "Talk about a totally environmental friendly vehicle", yet I see no mention as to where the energy is coming from to compress the air. Seems like another solution developed on the 'generate the power somewhere else, and then ship it to me' theory.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
One thing I find misleading is the title of this thread "Talk about a totally environmental friendly vehicle", yet I see no mention as to where the energy is coming from to compress the air. Seems like another solution developed on the 'generate the power somewhere else, and then ship it to me' theory.
This is what I find ludicrous about some of the attitudes here....

When discussing electric cars I never see anyone moan about "where is the energy coming from" to build and ship the car to the dealership...

Or people asking "where is the energy coming from" to make the clothes I wear.

Or people asking "where is the energy coming from" to cook my food.

Or "how much energy am I using" to run my computer, connect, send and receive files and communicate over the Internet.

This frame of mind is why the Green movement is going nowhere fast....

Old 09-04-2012, 05:16 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I spent some time on the net looking for a small car that I could run around town with, doing errands. There are things that look like reworked small golf carts which are not legal on US streets for various reasons, one being that they could not get up to a proper speed. I suspect that this vehicle will meet a similar response.

I have a problem with most of these aerodynamic vehicles not having enough ground clearance. We, in my area, sometimes get some major potholes.

How could such a vehicle tool around the rutted dirt roads in India? They must be for use only in cities.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I spent some time on the net looking for a small car that I could run around town with, doing errands. There are things that look like reworked small golf carts which are not legal on US streets for various reasons, one being that they could not get up to a proper speed. I suspect that this vehicle will meet a similar response.

I have a problem with most of these aerodynamic vehicles not having enough ground clearance. We, in my area, sometimes get some major potholes.

How could such a vehicle tool around the rutted dirt roads in India? They must be for use only in cities.
Do you really, literally take for granted everything you read on the Internet without ever looking into it?

Your comments are ludicrous and totally wrong concerning this vehicle....

Old 09-05-2012, 04:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Like it or not.......The most "totally environmental friendly vehicle" is.......

The Bicycle.

Zero pollution, zero energy use. (Not debatable unless someone wants to pick nits.)

Winner everytime in the "totally environmental friendly vehicle" race.
That was my first thought when I read the thread title. But if you wereto nitpick, I guess the most environmentally responsible way to get somewhere would be to walk (and there's the still the energy and resources needed to produce your shoes, assuming you're not barefoot!)

Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do you really, literally take for granted everything you read on the Internet without ever looking into it?

Your comments are ludicrous and totally wrong concerning this vehicle....
Please elaborate on your most interesting comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living