Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

I guess it really is all in people's minds....

Quote:
"NPR reports that although organic fruits and vegetables, grown without synthetic pesticides or fertilizer, comprise a $29 billion industry that is still growing, a new analysis of 200 peer-reviewed studies that examined differences between organic and conventional food finds scant evidence of health benefits from organic foods.
Scientists Say Organic Food May Not Be Healthier For You - Slashdot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

I'm always a little surprised by how many people insist that "farmers market vegetables" tasting better than "grocery store vegetables" is proof-positive that Organic vegetables are superior. Truth is, organic or non-organic has nothing to do with it. Rather, it's vegetables that were picked locally that morning, versus vegetables that were picked last week and shipped across the country. Of COURSE they taste better!

I'm also surprised by how many people don't know that Organic does NOT mean "chemical free." It simply means SYNTHETIC chemical-free. Some of those natural chemicals used in organic farming are pretty nasty!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Lather, rinse, repeat ...

Organics little health benefit over conventional??

Little evidence of health benefits from organic foods

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM

It's amazing the knee jerk reaction of some people....

Did you bother to read the article and associated articles?

This was written by NPR on Sept. 4, 2012, it documents over 200 peer reviewed studies...

In your world once something is written it can never be changed?

If that were the case we'd all still be thinking the world was flat and man was never meant to fly....

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm not surprised you missed the point.

Which is ...

There are at least three other threads already started about this very issue. One is on this very forum.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not surprised you missed the point.

Which is ...

There are at least three other threads already started about this very issue. One is on this very forum.
My sincere apologies, it's getting late..

Next time just say duplicate thread if I do this again, ok?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Of course the food is going to be better for you if it is free from pesticides, hormones, genetic manipulation, antibiotics etc.

I am not talking about taste or nutrition, but all the other crap.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Of course the food is going to be better for you if it is free from pesticides, hormones, genetic manipulation, antibiotics etc.

I am not talking about taste or nutrition, but all the other crap.
This is what organic food is about. It's not that it somehow magically has more vitamins, or something. There never were any claims to that effect. This is a straw man argument.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
"If" being the operative word. But the "if" assumes two things: First of all, it assumes that all non-organic food is rife with pesticides, hormones, genetic manipulation, etc. And it's not. Second, it assumes that all organic food is completely free of all pesticides, etc. And it's not.

The best bet, for all of us, is to grow everything we can in our own gardens.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
What the study... which was by Stanford University, not NPR... actually said was that there was little difference in the nutritional content.

Headline writers often skew a story just to save a few words.

Here's another take on it... notice the slightly different twist to the words.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2...better_for.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living