Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Dog waste is nothing compared to that of a Horse and Cow on a daily basis.

Look at what happens during a Parade that allows Horses to enter....always hated that.
The major difference between dog waste and cow/horse waste is that dogs are carnivores. Meat eaters. Horses and cows are herbivores. Their poo does not contain digested meat/meat by-products, unlike a dog's poo. Horse and cow poo is digested hay, grass, and grain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 05:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Where I live there are many vacant lots and almost every house has a dog for night time security.

Some dogs are allowed to run for a while in the pre evening (mine included) to do their thing while the evidence is hardly ever seen.

On the other hand there are 3-5 horses that are allowed to free roam about grazing by the owner every so often.

They leave their calling cards that stays and stays and stays that never crumbles or disappears.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post

My two dogs poop in our back yard. We do not pick it up, but let it dry & decompose. We have absolutely no problems with it.
I can not imagine not picking up poop in your back yard. No one walks there???

Old 09-28-2014, 10:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I can not imagine not picking up poop in your back yard. No one walks there???
Or mows? Or gardens?

Nothing worse than mowing and/or stepping in a missed dog pile. Gross. Plus the smell....and the maggots....

Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
PLWHIT is right. None of us can really do more than speculate regarding whether or not you're allowed to do this. That's based on local municipalities' codes.

To me personally, the idea that "manure" should not be allowed in compost is absolutely absurd. Manure has always been used as fertilizer. And the idea that bacteria/germs are going to leach from the manure into your garden produce is an extreme stretch. The composting/fermenting/decomposition process pretty much takes care of that.

My two dogs poop in our back yard. We do not pick it up, but let it dry & decompose. We have absolutely no problems with it.
LOL, hopefully they aren't St. Bernards' or Great Danes in a postage-stamp size back yard.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:52 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
I pick up my dog's poo using the plastic bag that the newspaper is delivered in. I then dump the poo into the toilet (anyone know of a reason that would be bad?) and toss the bag into the garage trashcan.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:50 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We always dispose of cat litter in the regular trash in a plastic bag. The dog poo was just flung into the woods when we lived in the country. We have not had a dog in a suburban neighborhood, but we would place it in the weekly trash also. No idea what happens to it after that, but for what we pay, it's not my problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:27 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We always dispose of cat litter in the regular trash in a plastic bag. The dog poo was just flung into the woods when we lived in the country. We have not had a dog in a suburban neighborhood, but we would place it in the weekly trash also. No idea what happens to it after that, but for what we pay, it's not my problem.
You buy plastic bags to hold cat poop when you can't use plastic bags to hold groceries?

How dare you?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 PM

130 posts, read 148,391 times
You may be able to get rid of dog waste along with yard waste, but in a few areas, you or your city could be fined for such a seemingly innocent act. In parts of California, for example, food scraps, manure and pet waste are some materials that you cannot combine with yard waste.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
I have a 40 lb dog and just use one of those long plastic scoopers to toss his poo into a plant bed in the far corner of my yard under some bushes; takes about 90 seconds each week. Also, probably related- those are the greenest bushes of all the bushes at my house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living