U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times

Advertisements

Once again it's Apple, who, back in 2009 signed an agreement aimed at reducing electronic waste.

But as we can see from the release of their new phone they snubbed their nose at the EC and came out with a device that junks all earlier phone accessories...

Shows what a company can do when they are above the law and don't care about the environment....

iPhone 5 Scorns Standards Promise To European Commission - Slashdot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,046,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Once again it's Apple, who, back in 2009 signed an agreement aimed at reducing electronic waste.

But as we can see from the release of their new phone they snubbed their nose at the EC and came out with a device that junks all earlier phone accessories...

Shows what a company can do when they are above the law and don't care about the environment....

iPhone 5 Scorns Standards Promise To European Commission - Slashdot
I thought Apple had a little plug in adaptor that took care of compatibility issues

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I thought Apple had a little plug in adaptor that took care of compatibility issues
Quote:
The only problem is, Apple has reneged on that commitment to the European Commission to change to micro-USB like everyone else. Instead, they have introduced a completely new proprietary connector. Dubbed "Lightning", it is quite unlike any other connector in the industry. But it appears to only offer power and data connections -- with HDMI via a dongle, which is also possible with micro-USB -- while forcing customers to once again either carry two chargers or spend money to buy an adaptor that is only useful for Apple phones.
iPhone 5 Misses Standardisation Opportunity

Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM

39,189 posts, read 40,571,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The adapter is where the waste is and it is a complete waste of both resources and money. Of course you can't sell six gazillion adapters with patented connectors that only Apple can manufacture if you use a standard connector. It's all about the dollars, you're hemming in customers forcing them into buying at least one more Apple product.

Imagine if every TV maker used proprietary plugs.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The adapter is where the waste is and it is a complete waste of both resources and money. Of course you can't sell six gazillion adapters with patented connectors that only Apple can manufacture if you use a standard connector. It's all about the dollars, you're hemming in customers forcing them into buying at least one more Apple product.

Imagine if every TV maker used proprietary plugs.
I decided to get off the technology bandwagon decades ago... I did buy a new Apple//e back in 1982... great product... just have not bought anything apple since.

In 30 years, I'm on my third computer and the first two still work great... funny thing on the 1982 Apple... I still have all the original packing material, boxes, etc and a couple to tech collectors have been after me to sell it... so I guess I've done my share to conserve resources

Kind of a choice... never need the newest or latest of anything... just need what I have to work... still own the car I was driving back in high school... drove it just about everyday till a couple of years ago...

My Old Zenith Console still working great... had to add the convertor box when things went digital... works good with rabbit ears...

Imagine if more people were like me??? Corporate profits would evaporate

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
Ultrarunner - You and I are just about as frugal. I did and do not buy Apple products because of price. I think about a GPS for my motorcycle (50 mpg commute) but why bother when a map is free? We still use some really big old box speakers for the music even though we do have a CD player for the source. We even light and heat the living room with a 100-200-300 Mogul Base three way incandescent bulb floor lamp.

We tend to buy stuff and keep it 'till it wears or rusts out. Some times we keep using it after it wears or rusts out. You can do amazing things with new bearings and duct tape and bondo will cover a lot of rust.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM

6,468 posts, read 11,512,881 times
There is a fine line between trying to shoehorn obsolete technology into new products vs. trying to keep recycling costs down.

Technology changes, people always demand the latest and greatest. The new connector on the iPhone has huge speed advantages over the older one, and if Apple didn't go to it the uproar would be even worse. And Apple provides a recycling program.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,610,611 times
Although I refuse to purhase Apple products, my laptop has a proprietary power supply and it's the only thing I truly HATE about the machine... so much so, that I doubt I will buy the brand again as long as they continue to use it despite the rest of the machine being one of the best. In the 3 years that I've owned this machine, I have had to replace the power cord 4 times, at $60 each (because it's proprietary), the battery (also proprietary) and my motherboard because their stupid power cord and the "authenticated connection" keeps failing.

If the new technology is SUPERIOR, then I can accept it being non-standard until the other manufacturers switch to the newly improved tech. But, in most cases, things like power cords and connectors AREN'T superior... they just allow a company to charge extra and fleece the customer for even more money in adapters so that their equipment will work with other standard accessories or be forced to purchase the company's proprietary accessories. Furthermore, in most cases, the form factor of upgraded tech (the size and shape) doesn't need to be changed simply because they've made some other internal improvement... the only reason a faster connector or more durable battery normally changes shape is so the company can charge more. USB & USB2 were BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE, and although you didn't necessarily benefit from the improvement if your device's port wasn't also USB2, you could still use a USB2 accessory with a device that had a USB1 port.

If a company wants to make more money, they should produce a better product... not produce a product that doesn't work with other standard equipment or previous iterations of the product. If they would produce improvements that were backwards compatible and devices that could be upgraded, they would still make money from people purchasing upgrade components instead of needing to junk the entire thing all the time. It's inexcusable... especially if they've entered into a standardization agreement with other manufacturers and tout themselves as being "environmentally responsible".

Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ultrarunner - You and I are just about as frugal. I did and do not buy Apple products because of price. I think about a GPS for my motorcycle (50 mpg commute) but why bother when a map is free? We still use some really big old box speakers for the music even though we do have a CD player for the source. We even light and heat the living room with a 100-200-300 Mogul Base three way incandescent bulb floor lamp.

We tend to buy stuff and keep it 'till it wears or rusts out. Some times we keep using it after it wears or rusts out. You can do amazing things with new bearings and duct tape and bondo will cover a lot of rust.
I'm, still amazed at the things people throw away... makes me think we are truely a rich country

A neighbor was tossing her TV because it was obsolete and asked me to carry it out to the curb for the city's clean-up day... I asked her if I could have it because it was a high end 27" tv with picture in picture and all the other stuff that goes with it...

Great TV and have it in the bedroom...

Another neighbor, an elderly widow turned in her Chevrolet Caprice... low mileage, bought it new and always garage kept... she turned it in to get a Toyota Prius under cash for clunkers...

The thing is she drives about 150 miles a month and her fuel savings are insignificant... the old Caprice with 31,000 miles was barely broken-in...

No one can tell me sending a perfectly good car to the scrap heap and buying a Prius for 1800 miles a year driving is good for the environment...

And this was not even a company encouraging this... it was the government...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM

39,189 posts, read 40,571,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think about a GPS for my motorcycle (50 mpg commute) but why bother when a map is free?
I did a few cross country trips back in the early 90's, I think looking at that Rand Mcnally map was half the fun.

Having said that I'm of the same mindset, I'm doinf a renovation on my new house that was in really nice condition but just never really had anything done. When I was tearing out the tile in in the kitchen I actually felt bad because it was 50 or 60 years since it was installed and in perfect condition, 1 inch of concrete backer etc. True craftsman put it in. Color was horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living