U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM
 
Location: DC
6,526 posts, read 6,461,516 times
Reputation: 3137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If one were to look at FACTS:

Regional Variation in Levelized Costs of New Generation Resources, 2017

EIA - Annual Energy Outlook 2013 Early Release

One would see as usual you are wrong......
Those are projections not facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Reputation: 19134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
No same old problem that nuclear has had all over the western world. You can't build one for anything close to the projected cost. See the experience with Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant. Meanwhile the cost of wind and solar are committed to in advance and that price is dropping rapidly.
The USA is currently cranking out how many? 2, 3 every year.

Only when civilians try to build one does cost over-runs become a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM
 
Location: DC
6,526 posts, read 6,461,516 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The USA is currently cranking out how many? 2, 3 every year.

Only when civilians try to build one does cost over-runs become a problem.
Aircraft carriers don't contribute to the electrical grid. The Navy builds small cookie cutter reactors. The difference between a Navy reactor and a civilian reactor is like comparing the building a single family home to building the new World Trade Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Reputation: 19134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Aircraft carriers don't contribute to the electrical grid. The Navy builds small cookie cutter reactors. The difference between a Navy reactor and a civilian reactor is like comparing the building a single family home to building the new World Trade Center.
If 'we' want to make them quickly with few cost over-runs, we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Location: DC
6,526 posts, read 6,461,516 times
Reputation: 3137
The navy has absolutely zero experience at managing projects the size and complexity of a commercial nuclear reactor. Asserting that the military has the ability to control costs on large complex projects is laughable. The military is among the world's worst at cost control.

BTW there are always huge cost overruns on first of a kind nuclear ships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
Reputation: 7641
<ahem> Back on topic.

Still waiting........................................... ..............

I'll ask the same questions I did at the beginning of this thread which up to this point no-one can answer or explain:

France has 78% of their power generated from nuclear plants yet we don't see any abnormalities in their cancer statistics, why is that?

Their first reactor went online in 1964, almost 50 years of non-stop operations and nobody has gotten sick, explanation?

There are over 2.8 million people living within a 50 mile radius of 3 mile island nuclear plant, no sicknesses no increase in cancer rates since 1974... Explain?

Indian Point nuclear reactor on the Hudson river up from NYC, no sicknesses or cancer reported because of it since 1962, explanation?

As the OP stated and asked:

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that these plants cause illness / cancer /death (something other countries know), yet I'm baffled as to why no one in this country seems to be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: DC
6,526 posts, read 6,461,516 times
Reputation: 3137
Dead horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Dead horse.
Only reason it's a dead horse is because people like you can't answer any of my questions due to the fact that THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE TO THE CANCER STATISTICS FOR ANYONE LIVING CLOSE TO NUCLEAR REACTORS IN 60 YEARS......

Outside of psychosomatic issues for those who have a fear and deep misunderstanding of nuclear technology of course....

You people seem to think that refusing to answer questions and then calling the questions dead horses shows anything other than ignorance and lack of understanding on the subject?

Last edited by plwhit; 01-27-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
 
Location: DC
6,526 posts, read 6,461,516 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Only reason it's a dead horse is because people like you can't answer any of my questions due to the fact that THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE TO THE CANCER STATISTICS FOR ANYONE LIVING CLOSE TO NUCLEAR REACTORS IN 60 YEARS......

Outside of psychosomatic issues for those who have a fear of technology of course....

You people seem to think that refusing to answer questions and then calling the questions dead horses shows anything other than ignorance on the subject?
So what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So what?
You are a lost ignorant cause..... bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top