Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times

Advertisements

Someone posted a great news article in the OC, CA board:
U.S. to study cancer risks near 6 nuclear plants - latimes.com

And they also shared this fabulous article!:
Is It Safe to Live Anywhere Near the Nuclear Plant at San Onofre? - San Clemente, CA Patch

I also shared a great
interactive map of the nuclear plant locations in the country.

There is no doubt in my mind that these plants cause illness / cancer /death (something other countries know), yet I'm baffled as to why no one in this country seems to be concerned.

Perhaps I'm more sensitive to the topic than most because I've survived cancer, and have also lost the majority of my family, all except one (of varying ages) to cancer (though, even she too had cancer but survived it then later died in an accident). Everyone in the last three generations of my family have had cancer, on both sides of my family. Why no one suspects something like Three Mile Island or the fact that we live so close or down wind / stream to not one but ten nuclear reactors as a possible cause, is beyond me.

Perhaps I'm also more sensitive to the topic because I plan to soon be a mother, if I'm still able, and where I raise my children is of utmost importance to me.

I suspected these plants long before Fukishima. Yet, afte Fukushima, many nuclear plants were closed in more than one country, but our government, due to the all mighty dollar, doesn't seem to learn from or care about the lesson learned there. I get that, because I don't expect much out of the government. What confuses is me is why so many citizens appear to not care or be concerned.

I feel like Erin Brockovich, where no one seems to get it. Tell me someone does.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 10-25-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Over the past couple of years I have seen threads here all asking the same question:

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that these XXXXX cause illness / cancer /death (something other countries know), yet I'm baffled as to why no one in this country seems to be concerned.

I feel like YYYYYY, where no one seems to get it. Tell me someone does.
Where XXXXX is:

~ nuclear plants
~ fabric softener
~ gasoline automobiles
~ fatty foods
~ chemtrails
~ GM crops
~ synthetic cotton

and on and on....

What is so hard to understand that human beings are very complex organism's and someone, somewhere will have an adverse reaction to something and that the majority of human beings don't suffer the same symptoms as they do?

My family going back generations has had breathing problems, some of the family live in the countryside in upstate NY and others live in cities. What/who should be blamed for our lung problems? Nature? Technology? Air conditioning? Cows? God?

Geezuz.......

Oh, and BTW OP? France has 78% of their power generated from nuclear plants yet we don't see any abnormalities in their cancer statistics, why is that?

A Friend of mine (who has a cell phone glued to her ear almost 24X7 ) was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor and there is no doubt in my mind the tumor was caused by her cell phone usage yet I'm baffled as to why no one in this country seems to be concerned.

Last edited by plwhit; 10-25-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
The North Anna nuclear plant is just south of me. I have no worries about it being there, because I'm not the paranoid sort. The lake that was built/dug for cooling is open to recreation. It gets right crowded around there in the warmer months. Not including all the houses built on the lake. There are countries in Europe that are far bigger users of nuclear power than the US as well - no worries there.

FWIW, I've known a number of people that have died of cancer, including family. Nuclear power never entered my mind when they were diagnosed. Ever.

I suspect it's just you.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
It's not just you and they ARE dangerous. Also, they must be a risk for terrorism.

As for cell phones, you can check the amount of radiation before you buy a phone. The higher radiation is banned in many countries. I checked my phone before I bought it and got one that's well within the safe limits.

Just because there's no documented proof of something---yet---doesn't mean that you can forget about it and not take preventive measures. That goes for nuclear power plants in particular.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's not just you and they ARE dangerous.
France has 78% of their power generated from nuclear plants yet we don't see any abnormalities in their cancer statistics, why is that?

Their first reactor went online in 1964, almost 50 years of non-stop operations and nobody has gotten sick, explanation?

There are over 2.8 million people living within a 50 mile radius of 3 mile island nuclear plant, no sicknesses no increase in cancer rates since 1974... Explain?

Indian Point nuclear reactor on the Hudson river up from NYC, no sicknesses or cancer reported because of it since 1962, explanation?

Should our knees tremble in fear at everything that might cause death and destruction?

Last edited by plwhit; 10-25-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
"Perhaps I'm more sensitive to the topic than most because I've survived cancer, and have also lost the majority of my family, all except one (of varying ages) to cancer (though, even she too had cancer but survived it then later died in an accident). Everyone in the last three generations of my family have had cancer, on both sides of my family. Why no one suspects something like Three Mile Island or the fact that we live so close or down wind / stream to not one but ten nuclear reactors as a possible cause, is beyond me".

I've worked in Nuclear power plants from Washington State to NJ-I feel safer there than someone working at Burger king and being splashed by hot grease. Perhaps your relative that survived cancer and then died in an accident would still be alive if she had moved to the area surrounding TMI- no one died there. In fact there has never been a death at a US nuclear power plant- zero- nada-none- You need to educate yourself..

Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Sunny,
I totally understand how you feel about nuclear power.
Poor Japan is unfortunately finding out first hand just how dangerous
nuclear power really is. So sad.
What can we really do about it?
For 30 years there were very few nuclear power plants built in the US.
Then, 9/11 happened and people are more willing to look for an alternate
form of power now. We would all be really screwed if we couldn't get oil
anymore for any reason at all.
I personally think natural gas if going to be our saving grace in the future.
We have enough of it to take care of ourselves for a very long time.
SO, go buy some solar panels and try your best to recycle.
Until we conserve more and drill less, and stop building nuclear power
plants, that is really all we can do.
Why is it again that we can't dump the waste into Yucca mountain again?
Until we do, all that waste is just sitting around at the nuclear plants right?
That's not good, that is what screwed Japan.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Some people should look at the facts surrounding the disaster at Fukushima, Japan.

What screwed Japan was not caused by a failure in the reactors or the design of the nuclear reactors, it was caused by darned poor design planning where the reactors were located.

But I guess the anti-nuclear folks are oblivious and don't care what the actual reason was that caused this disaster to occur in Japan....

I guess using the same logic the car manufacturers are at fault when a drunk driver kills someone, makes perfect sense to me....

Last edited by plwhit; 10-25-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Someone posted a great news article in the OC, CA board:
U.S. to study cancer risks near 6 nuclear plants - latimes.com

And they also shared this fabulous article!:
Is It Safe to Live Anywhere Near the Nuclear Plant at San Onofre? - San Clemente, CA Patch

I also shared a great interactive map of the nuclear plant locations in the country.

There is no doubt in my mind that these plants cause illness / cancer /death (something other countries know), yet I'm baffled as to why no one in this country seems to be concerned.

Perhaps I'm more sensitive to the topic than most because I've survived cancer, and have also lost the majority of my family, all except one (of varying ages) to cancer (though, even she too had cancer but survived it then later died in an accident). Everyone in the last three generations of my family have had cancer, on both sides of my family. Why no one suspects something like Three Mile Island or the fact that we live so close or down wind / stream to not one but ten nuclear reactors as a possible cause, is beyond me.

Perhaps I'm also more sensitive to the topic because I plan to soon be a mother, if I'm still able, and where I raise my children is of utmost importance to me.

I suspected these plants long before Fukishima. Yet, afte Fukushima, many nuclear plants were closed in more than one country, but our government, due to the all mighty dollar, doesn't seem to learn from or care about the lesson learned there. I get that, because I don't expect much out of the government. What confuses is me is why so many citizens appear to not care or be concerned.

I feel like Erin Brockovich, where no one seems to get it. Tell me someone does.
This issue doesn't register with most people because of more imminent problems on most people's radar. Things like being financially squeezed or dealing with unemployment or possibly a foreclosure of your residence come ahead of dubious claims about the danger of a nucleur power plant.

Let's face it, people do a lot of self-induced things to themselves which are much more dangerous. A friend of mine has a girlfriend that had a case of skin cancer. When I found out about this, my first question was "how much time does she spend in the sun getting tanned". His answer - a lot, but she never thought she would have a problem with it. If someone doesn't care about the things they can directly control in life to reduce chances of illnesses, what's the solution? How do you overcome problems with widespread obesity, talking on cell phones too long, dangerous driving practices. All these things contribute to reduced life spans and health issues and likely on a much larger scale than nuke plants.

We need to be careful about shutting down any power plant. If we shutdown all the nuke plants immediately, get ready for rotating brownouts or blackouts and big increases in your power bill. That is a non-starter for me since I heat and cool my house with electric. Winter's coming and I'm not looking to freeze in my own home.

Erin who???

Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Some people should look at the facts surrounding the disaster at Fukushima, Japan.

What screwed Japan was not caused by a failure in the reactors or the design of the nuclear reactors, it was caused by darned poor design planning where the reactors were located.
I presume that by "were located", you mean on the ocean near an earthquake fault, just like the San Onofre Nuclear Plant between San Diego and LA? Which in a disaster could easily cause 10 million people to get cancer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living