U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,429,916 times

Advertisements

Using today’s technologies and knowledge, a scale-up of fledgling algal biofuel production sufficient to meet even 5% of U.S. transportation fuel demand is unsustainable, says a report released last week by the National Research Council (NRC). The report examines the efficiency of producing biofuels from microalgae and cyanobacteria with respect to energy, water, and nutrient requirements and finds that the process falls short.

The energy from algal biofuel, the report finds, is less than the energy needed to make it. In terms of water, at least 32.5 billion gal would be needed to produce 10 billion gal of algae-based biofuels, the report states. The study also finds that making enough algal biofuels to replace just 5% of U.S. annual transportation fuel needs would require 44–107% of the total nitrogen and 20–51% of the total phosphorus consumed annually in the U.S.

Algal Biofuels Not Ready For Scale-Up | October 29, 2012 Issue - Vol. 90 Issue 44 | Chemical & Engineering News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM

6,530 posts, read 6,467,653 times
Most of the work on algae based biofuel use non-potable water so your point is bogus. No one I know is saying the technology is ready for commercial scale-up, but it will be a game changer if/when successful. It is strongly energy positive and it is really the only potential technology for large scale carbon sequestration.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Most of the work on algae based biofuel use non-potable water so your point is bogus.
My point? I was not the author of the article, this person was:

Staff - Jeff Johnson, Senior Correspondent | Chemical & Engineering News

Why don't you write him and tell him? In fact if you don't want to look at his BIO here's how you can contact him:

Phone: 202-872-6072
Fax: 202-872-8727 or -6381
E-Mail: j_johnson@acs.org

I just love some people here, know-it-alls until it comes to discussing their contentions with the people who write the articles.....

Please keep us informed as to the status of your dialogue with the author, after all you said he was full of s*it....

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM

6,530 posts, read 6,467,653 times
It isn't news. That's called a strawman. If you aren't willing to stand behind the story you shouldn't post it.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It isn't news. That's called a strawman. If you aren't willing to stand behind the story you shouldn't post it.
Excuse me, maybe I'm mistaken but one of the functions of this forum is to disseminate information.

So what was the authors response to your allegations that his information is bogus?

I just love some people here, know-it-alls until it comes to discussing their contentions with the people who write the articles.....

Please keep us informed as to the status of your dialogue with the author, after all you said he was full of s*it....

Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 15,351 times
All right - as a first post I'll chime in.

Anyone who has achieved a position as senior correspondent for the mouthpiece of the American Chemical Society SHOULD HAVE enough knowledge of the Second Law of Thermodynamics to avoid clap-trap like the following line:

Quote:
The energy from algal biofuel, the report finds, is less than the energy needed to make it
Finding a statement like that in something purporting to be a news article is enough to dismiss the entire article, or at least to disparage it.

By the way, I concur that, on the face of it, the statement about water consumption also likely is invalid - "use" and "consumption" are not necessarily synonymous and I smell a half-truth here.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albivx View Post
All right - as a first post I'll chime in.

Anyone who has achieved a position as senior correspondent for the mouthpiece of the American Chemical Society SHOULD HAVE enough knowledge of the Second Law of Thermodynamics to avoid clap-trap like the following line:

Finding a statement like that in something purporting to be a news article is enough to dismiss the entire article, or at least to disparage it.

By the way, I concur that, on the face of it, the statement about water consumption also likely is invalid - "use" and "consumption" are not necessarily synonymous and I smell a half-truth here.
I just love some people here, know-it-alls until it comes to discussing their contentions with the people who write the articles. The thought of actually getting into a dialogue with the people they make sarcastic remarks about somehow always make you people quake at the knees then get up on your high horses and proclaim you are too good to contact the author, you don't want to demean yourself discussing GMO's with an obviously inferior being who doesn't know a thing about GMO's...

Yeah, the "study" done on GMO foods fed to rats last year in France which some people almost orgasmed over because it PROVED GMO foods are dangerous... they developed huge cancerous tumors and died was a FACT...... Wohoooo!!! our side proves it once again.....

But a larger FACT that was left out of this report is that these rats have a tendency to grow cancerous tumors no matter what they eat.... e.g. the whole report was based on erroneous subjects being used..

OOPSIES....

Does genetically modified corn cause cancer? A flawed study fails to convince. - Forbes

Quote:
One immediate problem, Newell-McGloughlin said, is that the line of rodents used in the study, known as Sprague-Dawley rats, are frequently used in cancer research because a large majority of them naturally develop tumors at a high rate, regardless of what they eat or how they're raised.
GM Corn-Tumor Link Based on Poor Science : Discovery News

Carry on.....

Last edited by plwhit; 01-12-2013 at 02:28 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it appears you're taking a passel of your own replies and repeating them as a portmanteau response.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albivx View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it appears you're taking a passel of your own replies and repeating them as a portmanteau response.
port·man·teau:

a. a large suitcase
b. a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

When people drivel on about the same thing, criticize authors who's expertise in the field being discussed and don't have the b*lls to get in contact with the author to tell him or her they are totally wrong....

Well those people get back the same responses from me... I have yet to see a response from any of the "experts" here posting anything about their observations on the erroneous information with these authors...

BTW, next time you post try to make it constructive as to the topic being discussed....

Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 PM

You're missing the point. First of all, this is a forum for discussion; it is not a portal to contact the primary source. Second, I cannot speak for you or others posting here, but I have enough decades of experience - both in primary research and in reading - to know when an author is bamboozling. Thus, when an article contains the egregious misstatement that I highlighted, that is enough to cast the article's entirety into disrepute.
Any author worth his salt will know he has only so much space to get across his point. If he uses some of those column-inches to pad with baloney, he belittles himself as well as suggesting he hasn't worthy arguments to bolster his thesis. Worse, he risks having his words spread across other media - say, the internet - as an object of derision.

Now, if I knew the author - it happens I do not - then, yes, I might spend my time contacting him to tell him where he is off base. In this situation, however, I thought it more appropriate to alert those who were drawn to this thread that the article contains ridiculous statements.

Now, what was it that made my initial post off topic with respect to the thread? I directly addressed the article at hand. I certainly did not bring up the off-topic topic of GMOs, as you did....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living