U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,862,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

It is also worth noting that an EV CAN have an ICE in it and utilize gasoline.
Which makes thoose models much better for real world uses. i.e. Need to save on gas while in the City but also be capable of a road trip to some area with needing to charge on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,460,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Which makes thoose models much better for real world uses. i.e. Need to save on gas while in the City but also be capable of a road trip to some area with needing to charge on the way.
I do not think there is a mass produced EV that has an ICE on the market.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
It is all blurred now.

Just like like a phone = a computer terminal. Who cares?

Anyway. Prius has a pre-charge plug in option now, that for under 17 miles or so, never even needs the gas engine to start. So is that a hybrid, EV, or more practically -- wgaf?

All this crap can go mainstream with power coming from the Roadway -- PREA -- which with little to no batteries will be a car that costs far less than a Gasoline or Diesel ICE, and the (electricity) fuel costs about 1/4.

Until then just the elite snobs wilst be a-looking down their/our noses (which I do, as well, but because I need bifocals) at you while you drovel along in your pathetic out-dated Oil Burner.
If you knew about the history of computers you would know the major differences between a Computer Terminal, Personal Computer, and a Smart Phone. And I don't think anyone is going to be writing long documents on a smart phone and while a Personal Computer can support phone calls most people will not use it for one(big bulky ect...) and most people didn't have Computer Terminals in their houses until the internet but many had a P.C..

Cars are expected to both be able to handle short trips, long trips and not be limited by range or charging time. The nissian leaf for instance has a range of 73 miles via the EPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf

Every two weeks to a month or so I like to make a really long trip of about 36 miles one way and return home thoose same 36 or more so miles and it needs to be able to do this in subzero weather, be able to handle snow, and be able to handle hot days too. The Nissan leaf on a full charge would be near the end of its range if I did this trip and that assumes I didn't do any shopping or other stops before this long trip. That car despite being pretty affordable to most people would not do for me(and I think many others). The ford Focus Electric simillar in range to the leaf.

In fact looking at this list: List of modern production plug-in electric vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am having trouble finding a car that could handle this trip(so far maybe about 3 models and of the 3 only about 2 that are practical).

I also don't think any of these would make good cars for anyone who does road trips(and I know lots of people who do). The car also needs to be able to handle about 70-75mph cause that is about the fastest traffic goes here and make that full range. A plug in hybrid on the other hand could handle that kind of trip no problem.

Last edited by chirack; 12-06-2012 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I was thinking the plug in Hybrids like the Volt and the Pruis.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,460,664 times
Quote:
I was thinking the plug in Hybrids like the Volt and the Pruis.
The Volt and Prius are Hybrids. The Volt was initially supposed to be an EV but it didn't pan out.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,252,619 times
Quote:
Quote:
Closest thing to it is the Volt which is a series hybrid most of the time, though it does run as a parallel hybrid in very limited instances, namely when the battery is depleted and you are exceeding 70mph. All other times, the car is powered by electric motors either drawing from the battery or using the ICE to power a generator like a locomotive.

While this does solve the issue of range anxiety and uninterrupted travel ability while having enough battery capacity to cover most commutes in 100% electric mode, it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution. Once you have an ICE, two electric motors, a generator, a clutch pack, and a battery pack, the setup starts getting a little unwieldy. And expensive, as it turns out.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,427,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Until then just the elite snobs wilst be a-looking down their/our noses (which I do, as well, but because I need bifocals) at you while you drovel along in your pathetic out-dated Oil Burner.
That might be but it's a beautiful out-dated oil burner....

BTW, for third time, you ever going to answer my question on why EV sales are so pathetic? With all the glowing technobabble you posted about them they should be selling like hotcakes...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,852,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
That might be but it's a beautiful out-dated oil burner....

That is purdy.

Very Nice.

Is your taste in wimmen as good as your taste in cars?

Quote:
BTW, for third time, you ever going to answer my question on why EV sales are so pathetic? With all the glowing technobabble you posted about them they should be selling like hotcakes...
jmho -- I have not done market studies of what one can reasonable see is a failure. But from what I see -- again, jmho -- designs that suck, fail; designs that are good, do well.

Very harsh world in that regard. Few "second places" or honorable mentions. Either one hits the market of:

1. Customer [that] has money, AND
2. That moneyed customer must be willing to part with their money for your product or service, AND
3. You must make money on the deal.

THAT is what it takes to make things work. Probably more of a business section thing, but it applies whether one is a Drug Dealer, Auto Maker, Builder, on and on.

Either you get all three of those . . . Or you do not.

So let's hit a mini case study.

Tesla S seems to hit that very well. Volt/GM does not.

As far as following the "5 Whys" type reasoning -- it seems to be a Key Person problem.

The folks at Tesla studied their market, hit it, and are sold out, what? A year in advance?

The folks at GM on the other hand started with some good concepts, and then the moron MBAs managers got involved in trying to "pick the colors," etc. MBAs pretty much tend to be the dumbest empowered people in all things Failing America. The idiots chopped up the backseat -- so that they could fit golf clubs in the back. Does that sound MBA stupid, or what? And will not repent and fix it. Total Retards.

Here in Texas there is a [mumbled under the breath] phrase for the condition -- GW. It means that you have a dummy in charge. Seems to be the case with GM.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,348,615 times
^ Do you own a Tesla?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,852,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
^ Do you own a Tesla?
Looking at getting on the list.

$5000 just to get a place in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living