U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes. There is no time when the Prius is accelerating and the traction motor is sitting idle.
However, there are times when it is not delivering power to the wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
However, there are times when it is not delivering power to the wheels.
It appears that there is one scenario in which the Prius uses solely the engine. So yea, back to my original statement. The Prius and Volt are both Hybrids. We don't have a mass-produced gasoline powered EV available.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Here's a pretty good rundown of what the EV landscape looks like for now:

Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM

986 posts, read 1,179,181 times
Good video clip rundown! The Tesla S EV is the vehicle of the future, it has a good mileage range on a single charge, they just have to find a way to lower the price tag! If not, the hybrid RAV4 is a close 2nd that is sort of affordable for some!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM

It's worth noting that the Model S they featured in the video is the super top-of-the-line version with the largest battery pack and the enhanced performance package. The base version starts at 57K, 50K after the federal tax rebate if you can take full advantage of it. The only substantive difference is the size of the battery pack, and thus range (160 miles versus 265-300 miles). It also doesn't quite have the performance numbers (I'm not sure if the enhanced performance package is available on the lesser trims?), but 0-60 in the mid-5s is still quite a bit of get-up and go.

One of the best feature of the Model S among EVs is the way they configure the battery pack, basically making it a great big rolling skateboard on which they build the rest of the car. This gives it a super-low center of gravity, and I would guess having wind rushing right underneath the battery pack at speed helps with cooling.

The Tesla really is the best of the EV's by far, but its up-market pretensions implicitly concede the "niche-market" status of a technology that others are trying so hard to cram into the mainstream market. Hopefully we'll get there some day, but you can't force the technology to assume an attractive price point for mass consumption as the auto industry is currently finding out.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,483,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the President promises under his plans electricity costs will necessarily skyrocket who in their right mind would buy an electric car?
Even if the costs were on a par with gasoline costs, it is still a clean burning fuel.
I used to work in NYC, over forty years ago. I remember coming home every day with little dusty particles on my face from pollution. I remember the smog being so thick in the tunnel on my bus ride home that I could not see far ahead of us and I found breathing hard in the tunnel. I used to try to hold my breath for as long as possible.

That's not the environment now, in New York. You can actually breath in the city and your face no longer gets dirty. There are many more trees and actual birds. There is probably less traffic, but I cannot say that that has been my observation.

What I am trying to say is that stricter control of pollution pays off visibly.

Europeans manage to pay a lot more than we do for gasoline.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,483,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
That is purdy.

Here in Texas there is a [mumbled under the breath] phrase for the condition -- GW. It means that you have a dummy in charge. Seems to be the case with GM.
Oh, my goodness. Such a funny comment. There is evidently an entire side of Texas that is not well known by the rest of the country (or at least, me).

Back to the discussion, all those reasons for why the electric car is not selling as well as predicted are logical and could have been known had people done proper research up front.

I am thinking that Toyota had it right. You have to build a car that can use the present infrastructure first, and then a hybrid which will act as a push for more charging stations around the country, and lastly an electric vehicle. You can't put the cart before the horse.

I just think it is easier to build the all electric, cheaper, so they did. Now they're crying. They have no one to blame but their own crappy decision making. It's not the car's fault, but when they built it.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
GM, Ford execs discuss the auto industry and what's next - latimes.com

The above link is to a short interview with the heads of GM and Ford about the future of their industry. They answer a question about EV's at the end of the interview, so it's hardly an in-depth analysis, but relevant to this thread, I thought.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM

819 posts, read 1,270,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Europeans manage to pay a lot more than we do for gasoline.

Yes, however many people's commute in the US would take them clear across many countries in the EU and they have tremendous mass transit and population density. There are many options for lowering your gasoline consumption in that environment, not so in much of the US.

Toyota had it right, they brought a solid reliable and now not so polarizing hybrid to market for a slight up-tick in price for the trim level and size you receive.

Granted, the craddle to grave environmental impact of the Prius is still open for debate, but it is still the best option for "green vehicles".

And that is coming from someone who owns 3 vehicles that are nothing like a Prius.....a diesel F-250, a Tundra and an Outback.....all exist for one reason or another.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 AM

716 posts, read 1,083,842 times
I bought a new 2006 Prius just shy of 6 years ago in January 2007 for 23,000. It has been an awesome car, there have been zero mechanical issues, only tires and oil changes, still has original brakes. It now has just over 130K and we have averaged in the low 50's mpg since day one.

My wife would like a new one within the next 2 years and we would likely get the plug in version even though it only goes a few miles off a charge.

I do not know if it was supposed to? but she ran out of gas a few years ago, the car stopped. She pressed the restart button and it went about 1.5 miles on only the batteries to a gas station.

I agree the hybrid seems the best main stream option with the infrastructure distance factor and battery technology we have right now. EV main stream seems a ways off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living