U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 AM

819 posts, read 1,267,570 times

Advertisements

If the Prius had a larger AWD version and would be able to actually get over our snow banks and up a driveway I would consider one for a daily driver instead of an OB, but the current AWD hybrid offerings are extremely weak.

Congrats on the good success with the Toyota, our Toyotas have been pretty solid and where there were major faults Toyota stepped up and took care of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 AM

716 posts, read 1,080,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
If the Prius had a larger AWD version and would be able to actually get over our snow banks and up a driveway I would consider one for a daily driver instead of an OB, but the current AWD hybrid offerings are extremely weak.

Congrats on the good success with the Toyota, our Toyotas have been pretty solid and where there were major faults Toyota stepped up and took care of them.

I also have an Outback and Chevy Duramax diesel truck, Prius is the worst snow and ice car I have ever owned and it stays in the garage during bad weather. I had a double cab Tacoma which I really liked (so did my wife) when we are able to sell our mountain home and tractor where I need the plow and towing capacity I will sell the Outback and Chevy and buy a Tacoma again.

Yes, seems we are a ways off from serious AWD hybrid EV's ?

I wonder what are the offerings? research? for AWD or serious truck Hybrid, EV's? I haven't even looked into it.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM

6,510 posts, read 6,436,022 times
Quote:
Yes, however many people's commute in the US would take them clear across many countries in the EU and they have tremendous mass transit and population density. There are many options for lowering your gasoline consumption in that environment, not so in much of the US.

Toyota had it right, they brought a solid reliable and now not so polarizing hybrid to market for a slight up-tick in price for the trim level and size you receive.

Granted, the craddle to grave environmental impact of the Prius is still open for debate, but it is still the best option for "green vehicles".

And that is coming from someone who owns 3 vehicles that are nothing like a Prius.....a diesel F-250, a Tundra and an Outback.....all exist for one reason or another.
There are plenty of populations centers in the United States that have population concentration comparable to that found in Europe. New York City has substantially greater population than 5 small states. We are the target market for cars like the Prius. It isn't a one size fits all vehicle.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 AM

DC - No Kidding.

Snownut - There aren't many, I don't consider the GM hybrid truck a real option as there isn't a great incraese in fuel economy for the price. The hybrid versions of things like the Highlander hybrid are offering in AWD for like $40K but only delivery 28mpg, so to me I don't see the point in that, I can get that in a Subaru for $20K with roughly the same utility.

BTW, nice call on the Duramax, assuming you didn't have injector issues with it. I have the old stand by of the 7.3L PSD.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM

716 posts, read 1,080,726 times
Quote:
DC - No Kidding.

Snownut - There aren't many, I don't consider the GM hybrid truck a real option as there isn't a great incraese in fuel economy for the price. The hybrid versions of things like the Highlander hybrid are offering in AWD for like $40K but only delivery 28mpg, so to me I don't see the point in that, I can get that in a Subaru for $20K with roughly the same utility.

BTW, nice call on the Duramax, assuming you didn't have injector issues with it. I have the old stand by of the 7.3L PSD.
I lean green on most issues but would not invest in the GM hybrids for the very reason you mention, little increase in fuel economy for the price.

As for the Duramax, no injector issues, multiple sensor issues: O2, speed-o-meter, air bag and all out of warranty Now 92K on truck so still a youngster. I worked it hard plowing snow a few winters ago so overall it has been a solid truck... wonder in my lifetime if there will be a hybrid or electric eqivalent? I really do get tired of the diesel noise which requires a strong radio to compensate.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I lean green on most issues but would not invest in the GM hybrids for the very reason you mention, little increase in fuel economy for the price.

As for the Duramax, no injector issues, multiple sensor issues: O2, speed-o-meter, air bag and all out of warranty Now 92K on truck so still a youngster. I worked it hard plowing snow a few winters ago so overall it has been a solid truck... wonder in my lifetime if there will be a hybrid or electric eqivalent? I really do get tired of the diesel noise which requires a strong radio to compensate.
I just re-read my post and I think I must have been on crack or something.....horrible English...... too bad about the sensors. The 7.3L is even louder than your rig, but I kinda like it, I usually pass on the music and just listen to the engine.....but when I use the radio it does take some volume to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living