Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Lol mice nuts. In the 70s coal useable was about 50 million tons.
Anthracite coal production in '70 was 9.7 million tons, by 79 it was 4.8.

It hit rock bottom early part of the last decade when oil was $1 per gallon.

Table 7.2 Coal Production, 1949-2011 (Million Short Tons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Anthracite coal production in '70 was 9.7 million tons, by 79 it was 4.8.

It hit rock bottom early part of the last decade when oil was $1 per gallon.

Table 7.2 Coal Production, 1949-2011 (Million Short Tons)
Yeah mice nuts in the big scheme of things. You're king of the inconsequential. Rock on until expanded natural gas gets to the hollers of Pennsylvania.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
I remember the "smog" of 1952 it covered a wide area, i lived about 75 miles north of London and we we were sent home from school after lunch some of the kids from surrounding villages had to stay as the buses were unable to run, we had to wrap a scarf around our face and nose, the smog was yellow and we could hardly see where we were going. We had a few "peasoupers" around that time until the Clean air Act UK 1956 came into being, the Government gave a grant OF money to help with having gas installed as we could no longer burn coal.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Yeah mice nuts in the big scheme of things. You're king of the inconsequential. Rock on until expanded natural gas gets to the hollers of Pennsylvania.
LOL, funny you would say that. In the last house I owned during renovation we were finding natural gas pipes in the walls for lightning that were put there when it was built sometime early part of the last century. My house wasn't worth this much but there was houses approaching 1 million dollar houses at the end of the block. Prime river front property. This is "coal country" but it's certainly not the backwoods. This area would have been one the first with natural gas from the street, electricity and even the very first place HBO was available amongst other things. Much of that was driven by the coal industry. Scranton is about 10 miles from me, Wilkes Barre was first with HBO and ten miles in the other direction.
Quote:
Scranton gained fame as the Electric City, thanks to the region's innovative spirit - News - The Times-Tribune

The city of Scranton took its first step toward earning its reputation as the Electric City on Dec. 6, 1880. On that date, electric lights were introduced at the Dickson Locomotive Works. This was innovation indeed. Thomas Edison had only recently improved the electric light bulb to the point that made it usable for commercial use, and he had received his patent just months before, in January 1880.
No NG where I'm living now and I don't expect it, the houses are too far apart. Guess that's the price you pay for hearing absolutely nothing except mother nature and still have very quick access to major urban areas. Most people would kill to live where I do.

FYI if I were to describe the average person using coal they would in their 30's to 60's. Average middle income, HS to college educated and own their own home. Here's one of those people in the "holler" heating with coal. Note the reason it's labeled "biofuel" is because this unit can burn pellets or corn. When they came out with the $1500 tax credit they were able to sell it as biofuel boiler because of that. $9K without the credit.

EFM DF 520 Biofuel Boiler System_0001.wmv - YouTube

Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default hard coal heating

I grew up in a drafty old house almost heated with anthracite coal. When it was converted to oil it was colder than before. Hard coal burning in a properly designed and operated stove is very hard to beat. An old fashioned kitchen stove with a coal section and couple of gas burners is my ideal cooking stove.

If I can ever afford to renovate an old house it will have a coal stove in the kitchen and a heating stove in the living areas. Most of the place would be natural gas supplemented solar heat or, if I am very lucky, a old fashioned slow speed Diesel co-generation set up fueled with waste vegetable oil.

This would not be as convenient as a completely gas or electric house but, as I will be retired, convenience is not that important.

FWIW - I also used hard coal to fire a small forge. Under forced draft the fire would melt iron and steel.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Don't expect gas to reach my area in Tasmania any time soon we are too far off the track, having struggled to keep warm for 7 years with an electric heat pump and bills soaring each year, we have now had a wood heater installed, best thing we ever did, we did look at pellet fires but it worlked out too expensive as there was only two suppliers for the pellets so not much competition there. Of course the wood fires have to comply with the Australian EPA standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living