U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,354,027 times
Reputation: 1785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Keep being ignorant and reciting corporate talking points. You still have that right. As long as money continues to buy power, we'll have bad science accepted as fact.

Next thing you're going to tell me that monoculture farming has no disadvantages and doesn't create unnecessary pollution.

And it doesn't escape notice that you don't have an argument against my first and third points.
I see that you're a shill for the organic industry, and are parroting all their talking points. How nice.

You people are virtually the same as (maybe you're the same people?) who are POSITIVE that 9/11 was an inside job, and that Bush & Cheney personally wired the explosives in the WTC Towers. You scream and yell and say things like, "You can't prove they didn't, so that means they did!!!!!" And you wonder why most of the world kind of rolls their eyes and walks away.


By the way, RoundUp has been on the market for over 40 years now, and there has never - ever - been one single sickness or death connected in any way to it. Prove that statement wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,709,320 times
Reputation: 7280
Actually, I was in the food industry and I don't believe everything needs to be 100% organic, but where organic works it should be allowed to work, as in many developing countries.

But you stick to your narrow-minded insults and enjoy your Big Macs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,354,027 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Actually, I was in the food industry and I don't believe everything needs to be 100% organic, but where organic works it should be allowed to work, as in many developing countries.

But you stick to your narrow-minded insults and enjoy your Big Macs.
I don't enjoy Big Macs, the way you enjoy ingesting copper sulfate and rotenone, but thanks anyway.

And you too are more than welcome to stick your your narrow-minded insults.


Now, how about you be a good boy and go round me up some information about all these RoundUp-related sicknesses and deaths? Can you run along now and do that, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,709,320 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I don't enjoy Big Macs, the way you enjoy ingesting copper sulfate and rotenone, but thanks anyway.

And you too are more than welcome to stick your your narrow-minded insults.


Now, how about you be a good boy and go round me up some information about all these RoundUp-related sicknesses and deaths? Can you run along now and do that, please?
I came into this thread to answer a question you asked regarding tying Monsanto to the FDA, which I did.

I've never claimed Round Up has directly killed a human to this point, although it's certainly killed a lot of lab rats. I don't know what that has to do with anything. Monsanto already has a ton of deaths on its hands without Round Up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 5,072,967 times
Reputation: 6338
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Do you have one shred of evidence showing who "they" are and how much this is used? Please name any Corporate brass that is associated in any way to the FDA. If you fear what "they" are feeding you, don't buy from "them". You have a choice.
Do you people expect me to turn this thread into a thesis full of references and numbers? Revolving door between FDA and agri biz is easy to look up. As for a choice? What choices do an average American have exactly? 3000 choices of differently wrapped soy & corn based junk (I don't want to buy)? Please educate me on the choices. Grow my own pig? My wage job doesn't allow for the luxury of free time to do that. Small pork producers are history or distant luxury, a corporate pig is the only realistic option for the mere mortals outside of the metro sexual meccas.

Warning, it's not a comprehensive overview, it's a random site The Revolving Door Between Monsanto, the FDA, and the EPA: Your Safety in Peril
Former Monsanto Appointees to the FDA, USDA, and EPA

Senior Vice President for Clinical Affairs at G.D. Searle and Co. (merged with Monsanto), Michael A. Friedman, Acting Commissioner of the FDA

Consultant to Searle's Public Relation Firm (merged with Monsanto), Arthur Hull Hayes, Previously FDA Commissioner

Top Monsanto Scientist, oversaw approval of rBGH, Margaret Miller, Appointed Deputy Director of FDA, 1991

Worked on Monsanto-funded rBGH in connection with Cornell University, Suzanne Sechen, FDA Reviewer on Scientific Data

Attorney for Monsanto for 7 years, previous Head of Monsanto Washington D.C. Office, Michael Taylor, Former FDA Deputy Commision for Policy.In 2010 appointed Senior Advisor to FDA Commissioner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 5,072,967 times
Reputation: 6338
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you know anyone who has gotten sick from consuming the additives you are concerned about, singly or in combination?
Agri biz conducts real life experiments on all of us. Not a single research agency, not a single scientist have dedicated their efforts to collecting real life data. Please tell me what you base your confidence on? It's just common sense to presume that a concoction of hundreds of agrochemicals we consume is dangerous. Do you have any scientific data that solidly trump common sense and precaution? Lack of thousands of dying people laying in the streets after grocery trips to Wall Marts is a sufficient "scientific" evidence in your opinion?

Each day thousands of people die, get sick and disabled in multitude of ways. Since it's "unscientific" to presume that concoction of hundreds of agrochemicals (humans didn't evolve to consume) may have something to do with all of that. Do you have scientific data showing that food we eat have nothing to do with 30% cancer rates or mushrooming autism, for example? Again, precautionary principle puts the burden of the proof on you.

Quote:
Considering that McDonald's has sold billions of hamburgers, it would seem logical that adverse effects would result in at least some case reports.
Seriously, I cannot understand your infatuation with sudden death as a research tool.

Quote:
Anyone can have allergies, so those do not count. Would you say peanuts should not be available to anyone because some people cannot eat them? Should no child be exposed to food coloring because it makes a few hyperactive --- an idea that is not fully endorsed by ADHD experts?
Some mighty sick child psychologists suggested an idea of the bright colored junk drinks/foods to be peddled to kids. That's the only point of the brightly colored junk - to hook kids on it. As long as profits are involved, it's a sacred right of the agri biz to use all means necessary to squeeze a buck, no matter the potential risks, all precautionary principles be damned. One thing for sure, food colorings don't add to kid's health. Why risk, please, name me a single compelling reason to risk kids' health except the most obvious one?

Quote:
Many of the "additives" are "chemicals" you might find in your own kitchen, such as baking powder.
So how many is "many" if it's compared to 1521 food additives on this list?

Complete lists of additives - Food Intolerance Network

Quote:
Without some of the additives used as preservatives, spoilage would be high enough to greatly increase the price of the foods in which they are used.
Yup, it's all about me, corporate bean counters do care about my bottom line. I want to cry, I got so emotional thinking about all that care and sacrifice. Food that cannot spoil for months and years (because no stupid microbe wants to eat it) is good for the corporate bottom-line, that's the only reason why it's on the shelves. And one may very well pay a very dear price for that wonder food in the future.

Quote:
All of this is just a diversion from your original post, which is about ractopamine. I have still not seen any evidence that the residues of ractopamine in meat are harmful to humans.
I have still not seen any evidence that the residues of ractopamine in meat are not harmful to humans, especially considering 1521 food additives + hundreds of herbicides + pesticides+ hormones +.. it can interact with. Precautionary principle puts the burden of the proof on you. Also, I have not seen a compelling reason to use ractopamine.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-17-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 5,072,967 times
Reputation: 6338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Yes, your sources CONTINUE to suck!

"The Independent" is an agenda-driven rag that comes to the conclusions it has decided to come to. Martin Hickman simply found what he was looking for.
I do believe that you have an agenda of your own and you come to certain conclusions you have decided to come to.

Quote:
So maybe you can tell me how/why Martin Hickman is qualified to shoot off his mouth about chemicals/food/health/public safety?
Are you qualified? Using your logic, almost nobody is qualified to have an educated opinion on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,354,027 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I came into this thread to answer a question you asked regarding tying Monsanto to the FDA, which I did.

I've never claimed Round Up has directly killed a human to this point, although it's certainly killed a lot of lab rats. I don't know what that has to do with anything. Monsanto already has a ton of deaths on its hands without Round Up.
I didn't ask you for anything, so you didn't answer a question of mine.

But thank you for admitting that there is - in 40 years of use - not one single sickness or death that has been even REMOTELY connected IN ANY WAY to RoundUp. NOT ONE. NOTHING. Now... I fully understand that that means NOTHING to you, because your own feelings and opinions trump facts, but the facts speak for themselves.

You're welcome to resume enjoying your copper sulfate and rotenone covered organic produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 PM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,354,027 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I do believe that you have an agenda of your own and you come to certain conclusions you have decided to come to.

Are you qualified? Using your logic, almost nobody is qualified to have an educated opinion on anything.
Look... You're citing the rants of a 24-year old volleyball playing chick, who writes provocative blogs, as a credible source. Do you REALLY think that intelligent people are going to buy that? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 5,072,967 times
Reputation: 6338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Look... You're citing the rants of a 24-year old volleyball playing chick, who writes provocative blogs, as a credible source. Do you REALLY think that intelligent people are going to buy that? Seriously?
As I said, it's not a thesis. Besides, you don't even know what chicks write upbeat corporate PR cheer, and it doesn't bother you. People of all walks of life (even volleyball chicks) can form educated opinions on all sorts of things. Some talk radio personalities (not speaking of Oprah) rake in millions in uneducated opinion business. A volleyball chick has come up with a descent overview on the matter, it has absolute minimum of her own interpretations. If you don't like factoids, tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top