U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,045,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Sorry, but again, you've proven yourself 100% ignorant. Dead wrong. You simply do NOT know what you're talking about.

My father - a yet to be retired 77-year old farmer - has not "saved back corn for seed" since he started farming in 1960.

And the tired old "Monsanto sued the farmers for saving seed" crap? Really? Seriously? You mean to tell me you DON'T know what that's about? Geez Louise! PLEASE tell me that you know why there were lawsuits of this manner, or just confess that you - again - haven't a clue!
Is world populated by the clones of your father? So why Monsanto sues farmers, why Monsanto funds a private army of snitches, why Monsanto widely utilizes legal intimidation if nobody saves seeds anyway, just like your father?

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-18-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yet again, ignorance compounded. You might as well compare Coca Cola to the national budget.
I guess we reached the limit of your reasoning competence.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,319,116 times
^^^ Wait a minute! Did you just suggest that Autism is NOT something people are born with? SERIOUSLY?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Is world populated by the clones of your father? So why Monsanto sues farmers, why Monsanto funds a private army of snitches, why Monsanto widely utilizes legal intimidation if nobody saves seeds anyway, just like your father?
Good gawd, you don't even know why Monsanto sued those farmers. You don't have CLUE #1, do you?!?!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM

23,278 posts, read 28,085,400 times
Quote:

There is plenty of mainstream science that links cancer rates to agrochemicals. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ealthresources

However, compared with the general population, the rates for certain diseases, including some types of cancer, appear to be higher among agricultural workers, which may be related to exposures that are common in their work environments. For example, farming communities have higher rates of leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and soft tissue sarcoma, as well as cancers of the skin, lip, stomach, brain, and prostate. Even though no one set of risk factors explains these higher cancer rates, the range of environmental exposures in the farming community is of concern. Farmers, farm workers, and farm family members may be exposed to substances such as pesticides, engine exhausts, solvents, dusts, animal viruses, fertilizers, fuels, and specific microbes that may account for these elevated cancer rates. However, human studies reported to date have not allowed researchers to sort out which of these factors may be linked to which cancer types.

Agricultural Health Study - National Cancer Institute
Risks to workers handling chemicals are not the same as risks to consumers of foods grown with those chemicals. Nice try, though.

Quote:
Publish your findings and wiring blueprints ASAP.
Discover Magazine: The latest in science and technology news, blogs and articles - The Brain: The Troublesome Bloom of Autism

MRI Shows Differences in Autistic Brain - RxList.com

MRI Detects Early Signs of Autism in Infants - Diagnostic Imaging

Structural MRI in Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
OK, genetic conditions that involve more than one gene were mighty dormant for the past 100,000 years.
Showing your ignorance of biology again. You need to look up "spontaneous mutation."

Quote:
Try to apply your reasoning next time you take a trip or find a bag full of groceries sitting in your driveway.
That statement is so far out in left field I have no idea what you mean.

Quote:
You can't taste the chemicals? that's what happens if one grows up with them.
No, when I eat bread I taste bread!

Quote:
A spike in death due to heart deceases followed a spike in meat consumption long before corporate CAFOs and ractopamine.
Source, please!

Quote:
Yup, menstruating and growing boobs long before pelvis is ready sounds like an evolutionary winner.
It was an evolutionary winner when life was nasty, brutish, and short. The earlier you were able to reproduce, the more likely you were to pass on your DNA. You really need to take a biology course.

Quote:
not nearly enough, if at all.
How can you say "if at all'? I did not make up the link. Do you not believe the CDC studies environmental chemical effects?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM

23,278 posts, read 28,085,400 times
Quote:
Good gawd, you don't even know why Monsanto sued those farmers. You don't have CLUE #1, do you?!?!
George, maybe we should let Monsanto explain it. Others may understand even if OP, for whom contract law is not a strong suit, does not.

Monsanto ~ Food, Inc FAQs

Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
George, maybe we should let Monsanto explain it. Others may understand even if OP, for whom contract law is not a strong suit, does not.

I simply cannot believe the idiocy of some people. I mean, ignorance is one thing. That's fine. I'm completely ignorant about quantum physics, for instance. That said, I'm NOT stupid enough to go onto a quantum physics forum and start posting stupid comments, trying to act like I know what I'm talking about.

The bottom line is that ALL farmers have ALWAYS had to sign an "end contract" before buying RoundUp Ready Seed. Period. Monsanto dumped billions of dollars into its R&D, and didn't want people - or other companies - trying to hybridize and resell RoundUp Ready Seed. It makes perfect sense.

Also, absolutely NO farmer has EVER been forced to buy RoundUp Ready Seed. Period. They can buy from HUNDREDS of other seed sources.

So it's a CHOICE.

There is no problem here, other than with stupid people who simply do not understand what's going on!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Risks to workers handling chemicals are not the same as risks to consumers of foods grown with those chemicals. Nice try, though.
Do you expect me to write a thesis citing 1000 references? There are plenty of sources on pesticide related deaths of the consumers. For example, Data on 184 deaths from pesticide poisonings that occurred in Spain from 1991 to 1996... http://www.who.int/ifcs/FSC/forumsc/...ning_Spain.pdf

We were "discussing" rising rates of autism. Why do you bring up references on abnormalities of autistic brains?
Quote:
Showing your ignorance of biology again. You need to look up "spontaneous mutation."
Showing your hiding behind bio lingo. I still don't understand what your terminology nitpicking has to do with rising rates of autism. Has human genome been changed dramatically over the past 30 years? If not, what's your point?

Quote:
That statement is so far out in left field I have no idea what you mean.
In your everyday life, you presume everything you get in touch with (including grocery bag or electric wire in your driveway) to be safe until it's proven to be unsafe or you follow more common sense approach?

Quote:
No, when I eat bread I taste bread!
I doubt that, but OK.
Quote:
Source, please!
Don't be lazy. The link between heart deceases and meat consumption is established beyond reasonable doubt. There are tonnes of info.
Quote:
It was an evolutionary winner when life was nasty, brutish, and short. The earlier you were able to reproduce, the more likely you were to pass on your DNA. You really need to take a biology course.
Conceiving early is not the same as reproducing early. Shouldn't evolutionary biologists know that? As for nasty, brutish and short, what about Gorillas, dolphins or any other specie? Do they have "Nasty, brutish and short" lives too?
Quote:
How can you say "if at all'? I did not make up the link. Do you not believe the CDC studies environmental chemical effects?
CDC studies are not comprehensive, are they? Thus, "if at all" does apply.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-18-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I don't know why we need to bring up Monsanto here. I clearly used Monsanto to refute silly claim by Big George that no farmer saves seeds for 75 years since the first hybrids were introduced.

Since you happen to be a legal expert could you resolve a few hypothetical issues for me? Let's say I take Windows Vista and tweak a thing or two in it, then I patent my tweaking and sue everyone in possession of Windows Vista who would not pay up? What prison term should I expect? Why Monsanto can take a common human heritage, like corn, tweak a thing or two in its genome and to declare entire seed to be its property? Gene ownership is mighty questionable too, but OK, own your gene and pay royalty for the use of corn to all of us.

Another hypothetical question was bothering me, let's imagine that round up ready gene contaminated every living plant on the face of Earth. Can Monsanto legally claim ownership of entire planet' biomass using the same rationale it employs to claim ownership of corn seeds?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know why we need to bring up Monsanto here. I clearly used Monsanto to refute silly claim by Big George that no farmer saves seeds for 75 years since the first hybrids were introduced.
Now you're just making an a$$ of yourself. And you should stop.

Farmers have been planting hybrid seed corn since the 1930s. How long ago was that?

Farmers have been planting hybrid seed beans since the 1970s. How long ago was that?

Farmers have been planting RoundUp Ready Seed since the 1980s. How long ago was that?

Farmers do NOT save back their seed and plant "bin run" corn, beans, or other crops. They just don't. They'd get 40 bushels per acre corn by planting seed out of their corn bin, or 225 bushels per acre by planting the right hybrids. Yes, it really is THAT simple. It is NOT about fertilizer, as that has remained the same for decades. It's about better hybrids, and better planting techniques.

Seriously. You should just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living