Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
It doesn't take a genius to spot a broken record you play again and again. If you repeat the same stuff many times over, it doesn't make it any more true, and it doesn't override "precaution". I don't really care what Frankenstein products you eat, but I'm sure that it's not meat, beacon and cheese that gives taste to your Franken burgers, it's New Jersey flavoring industry you should send your warmest regards to. When I chew through a Big Mac, all I taste - rubber texture saturated with fat and chemicals. I can't be happy with that, but I'm glad you can.
You remind me of a junior high kid - all these cutesy little "kill names" you've given everything you don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You remind me of a junior high kid - all these cutesy little "kill names" you've given everything you don't like.
Your reminiscence about childhood somehow makes a pertinent point? I know what kind of crap they feed to kids at our schools, the only way to "like" that crap is to grow up with that. As I said, agri biz manufactures not only chemical pigs and BigMacs they must manufacture customers to go with that. Many if not most of the younger inmates of the public systems are on some kind of psychotropic drug to go with their ChemBurger patties, or the other way around. America experiments on the most vulnerable - kids of the working class peons, we can only speculate why.

As for BigMac, I'm glad you all like it, and I don't care. It's you who deeply care about my dietary preferences to play broken record about "proven safety" again and again.

E-numbers per product. Although McDonald's emphasises its burgers are 100 per cent beef, the buns, cheese and sauces that go with them are high in E-numbers.The Big Mac has 18 separate additives and a cheeseburger 17 separate additives, while a chocolate milkshake has eight different chemicals. Additives are present in almost everything on the menu, including the grilled chicken and salads.

On the menu at McDonald's: 78 additives (some may be harmful) - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I'm patiently awaiting you summarily dismissing these sorts of sources as unreliable, do you have dirt on Martin Hickman?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Your reminiscence about childhood somehow makes a pertinent point? I know what kind of crap they feed to kids at our schools, the only way to "like" that crap is to grow up with that. As I said, agri biz manufactures not only chemical pigs and BigMacs they must manufacture customers to go with that. Many if not most of the younger inmates of the public systems are on some kind of psychotropic drug to go with their ChemBurger patties, or the other way around. America experiments on the most vulnerable - kids of the working class peons, we can only speculate why.

As for BigMac, I'm glad you all like it, and I don't care. It's you who deeply care about my dietary preferences to play broken record about "proven safety" again and again.

E-numbers per product. Although McDonald's emphasises its burgers are 100 per cent beef, the buns, cheese and sauces that go with them are high in E-numbers.The Big Mac has 18 separate additives and a cheeseburger 17 separate additives, while a chocolate milkshake has eight different chemicals. Additives are present in almost everything on the menu, including the grilled chicken and salads.

On the menu at McDonald's: 78 additives (some may be harmful) - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I'm patiently awaiting you summarily dismissing these sorts of sources as unreliable, do you have dirt on Martin Hickman?
Do you know anyone who has gotten sick from consuming the additives you are concerned about, singly or in combination?

Considering that McDonald's has sold billions of hamburgers, it would seem logical that adverse effects would result in at least some case reports.

Anyone can have allergies, so those do not count. Would you say peanuts should not be available to anyone because some people cannot eat them? Should no child be exposed to food coloring because it makes a few hyperactive --- an idea that is not fully endorsed by ADHD experts?

Many of the "additives" are "chemicals" you might find in your own kitchen, such as baking powder.

Without some of the additives used as preservatives, spoilage would be high enough to greatly increase the price of the foods in which they are used.

All of this is just a diversion from your original post, which is about ractopamine. I have still not seen any evidence that the residues of ractopamine in meat are harmful to humans.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:59 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All of this is just a diversion from your original post, which is about ractopamine. I have still not seen any evidence that the residues of ractopamine in meat are harmful to humans.
Is it a broken record fest? I repeat for the last time, "precautionary principle" puts burden of the proof on you or whoever peddles that stuff. Did they conduct thorough study on effects of ractopamine itself as well as effects of its interactions with other popular additives, YES/NO? Again, you point to the real life experiment that food industry conducts on all of us. We have this huge experiment and we have NO data collectors, no corporate scientist is eager to collect data, why? Nobody collects data, and yet you claim there is no harm, show me the victims dying on the streets.

It's a matter of fact that formerly almost unknown illnesses are mushrooming. Do you have any data showing that agri chemicals (including ractopamine) don't contribute? Don't we fund universities for just that purpose? What all those braniacs are doing, researching new ways to torture a pig for maximum ROI?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Is it a broken record fest? I repeat for the last time, "precautionary principle" puts burden of the proof on you or whoever peddles that stuff. Did they conduct thorough study on effects of ractopamine itself as well as effects of its interactions with other popular additives, YES/NO? Again, you point to the real life experiment that food industry conducts on all of us. We have this huge experiment and we have NO data collectors, no corporate scientist is eager to collect data, why? Nobody collects data, and yet you claim there is no harm, show me the victims dying on the streets.

It's a matter of fact that formerly almost unknown illnesses are mushrooming. Do you have any data showing that agri chemicals (including ractopamine) don't contribute? Don't we fund universities for just that purpose? What all those braniacs are doing, researching new ways to torture a pig for maximum ROI?
So far, all you have said is because the chemicals are there, they must be harmful.

The diseases that you think are more common for the most part have always been here. What is different is improvement in testing that improves diagnostic accuracy and an increase in awareness. People now share their medical problems much more freely than in the past.

Do you really not think that if the harm is there someone unconnected with industry would not find it?

Meanwhile, people do not seem to be dying in the streets.

American Institute in Taiwan - 2012-02-21 | The Facts about U.S. Beef and Ractopamine

Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Yes, your sources CONTINUE to suck!

"The Independent" is an agenda-driven rag that comes to the conclusions it has decided to come to. Martin Hickman simply found what he was looking for.

So maybe you can tell me how/why Martin Hickman is qualified to shoot off his mouth about chemicals/food/health/public safety? Was he recently a college volleyball player? No wait... He likes the taste of Bud Lite more than Coors?

Your hatred and paranoia have gotten the best of you.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Quote:
Russia bans meat from ractopamine-treated animals Cattle News - Editorial, Grain & Cattle Markets, Current Stories

Ractopamine, a feed additive used to promote lean-meat production. They feed animal high caloric diets their bodies are not designed for, they restrain animals, then they design chemicals to provide lean beef & pork with hyped up health "benefits". It's a typical "problem solving" approach of the industrial agriculture. Agri biz sources claim it's all about politics even though 80 countries, even China, ban ractopamine.

Why US is so permissive, why they feed us chemicals that even third world countries don't allow? Yet, big brother deploys covert agents to crack down on illegal trade in raw eggs, meat & milk. I really doubt that corporate brass and FDA front men (frequently, it's the same people) gorge themselves on ractopamine rich diet of lean meats, neither I believe that Tyson brass eats their chicken products, or Smithfield brass ever attempts to chew through rubber like substance they market as bacon these days.
Do you have one shred of evidence showing who "they" are and how much this is used? Please name any Corporate brass that is associated in any way to the FDA. If you fear what "they" are feeding you, don't buy from "them". You have a choice.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Please name any Corporate brass that is associated in any way to the FDA. If you fear what "they" are feeding you, don't buy from "them".
Low hanging fruit: HR875 was introduced by Rosa DeLauro whose husband Stanley Greenburg works for Monsanto in getting pro-Monsanto legislation and referendums passed through his PR firm.

Do we really need to get into Michael Taylor's alliances?

And as far as "we have a choice not to eat it", for how long? The food safety bills written by Monsanto/Cargill et.al. are designed to eliminate heirloom seed stock, farmers markets, family farms and pretty much anything they haven't yet got a patent on.

I continue to find it very amusing that both liberals and conservatives fight libertarians on the issue of food subsidies even though the existence of such subsidies endangers food security (liberal cause) and free market economics (conservative cause).

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Low hanging fruit: HR875 was introduced by Rosa DeLauro whose husband Stanley Greenburg works for Monsanto in getting pro-Monsanto legislation and referendums passed through his PR firm.

Do we really need to get into Michael Taylor's alliances?

And as far as "we have a choice not to eat it", for how long? The food safety bills written by Monsanto/Cargill et.al. are designed to eliminate heirloom seed stock, farmers markets, family farms and pretty much anything they haven't yet got a patent on.

I continue to find it very amusing that both liberals and conservatives fight libertarians on the issue of food subsidies even though the existence of such subsidies endangers food security (liberal cause) and free market economics (conservative cause).
No, they're not. That's just partisan BS.

Every company is a competitor, or it goes bankrupt. Every competitor is looking for an edge. But to say that a few big companies are "running the world's food supply" is just ridiculous. There are SO many of these stores that have been PROVEN to be absolute lies, that it's laughable. Wasn't Monsanto trying to pass a law that would force every farmer - in the entire world - to pay them $10 per pig for every single pig they raised?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Keep being ignorant and reciting corporate talking points. You still have that right. As long as money continues to buy power, we'll have bad science accepted as fact.

Next thing you're going to tell me that monoculture farming has no disadvantages and doesn't create unnecessary pollution.

And it doesn't escape notice that you don't have an argument against my first and third points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living