Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The Organic Industry is a massive advertising and marketing conglomerate. It's all about money. And in that regard, it's no different than Monsatanto.
Sure all businesses, grey and green, are all about money. I never mentioned organic industry, I don't believe that global organic agri biz is the answer. Yet, you refuse to comprehend simple fact that gross revenue ( "Raw" sales income; the amount customers actually pay the company when they make their purchases.)) of the organic industry (25 billions) is probably less than combined marketing expenditure$ of the fast food and soft drink industries. Compare 25 billions of the "organic" gross revenue to the gross revenues of Coca Cola alone (23 billions or so in 2010).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Can you imagine how those savages could survive for tens of thousands of years using nothing but common sense? As I predicted you declared common sense "unscientific". Eating hundreds of chemicals is scientific and it's good for you.
Most of them did not survive very long, did they?

Quote:
Don't be so selective. Some cancer rates are marginally decreasing, the rest are increasing. That's what world health organization has to say on the matter.
Q: Are the number of cancer cases increasing or decreasing in the world?
A: Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide and the total number of cases globally is increasing.
There is a difference between "cases" and "rates". Not very familiar with health statistics, are you? If the population increases, the number of cases may increase even if the rate, often expressed in cases per 100,000 population, goes down. If you use worldwide cases, you are including statistics from countries whose exposure to your much maligned chemicals may actually be lower.

Let's compare cancer rates and fertilizer and pesticide use:

Data for cancer frequency by country | WCRF

Fertilizer use statistics - countries compared - Nation Master

Pesticide use statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

Of the top ten countries for cancer incidence:

1. Denmark: #20 for fertilizer use, #17 for pesticides
2. Ireland: #1, #14
3. Australia: #73, not in the top 41
4. New Zealand: #11, not in the top 41
5. Belgium: not in the top 136; not in the top 41
6. France: #16, #6
7. USA: # 40, not in the top 41
8. Norway: #14, #30
9. Canada: #66, not in the top 41
10. Czech Republic: #45, #19

I cannot see a correlation between agricultural chemicals and cancer, can you?

How about ractopamine? The only countries in the top 10 that allow it are the U.S. and Canada.

World wide, the most common cancer is lung cancer related to use of tobacco.

Common sense does not work. The actual data are there if you want to look for them.

Quote:
Do you have any evidence otherwise? Is the food kids eat a plausible (contributing) factor or linking food and autism is outright blasphemy, fear mongering and obscurantism unworthy of the further study?
Children with autism are born that way. Their brains are wired differently.

Inside an Autistic Mind - Carnegie Mellon University | CMU

By the way, Dr. Grandin's area of expertise is animal science. She has an interest in the humane management of food animals and actually designs slaughterhouses and advises meat producers on the best ways to handle animals.

Quote:
That's one mighty dormant gene.
Actually, I said genetic. Genetic conditions often involve more than one gene. You are again showing your lack of understanding of basic biology.

Quote:
Apparently, you deem safe everything that doesn't cause cyanide like poisoning.
You deem everything unsafe without any evidence to support the idea.

Quote:
It's stupid to consume artificially colored food and drinks, but adults should have freedom to do stupid things. Feeding that stuff to kids is criminal.
Sorry, no M&Ms for you, kid!

Quote:
I think you don't do grocery shopping yourself if you seriously suggest "You are free to buy only food without preservatives if you wish.". I do grow some of my food and I do bake bread, I would go seriously crazy without that. I have limited time though, and I just squandered many hours of that potentially productive time on this thread (as well as 1500 of other posts). I think your fears of imminent bread spoilage are greatly exaggerated unless you have stakes in a commercial bakery.

Maybe you could enlighten me. Once in a while I buy this "All-Natural", no preservatives, no corn syrup, no ... bagged sliced breads in grocery stores. Yet, despite the "natural" claim (and no chemicals disclosed) - no mold, no animal, no bird wants to touch that bread, it can last for months unmolested. I do taste chemicals despite the claim to the contrary. What do they do to that bread, or they just lie about the ingridients on the label?
My dog gets her thyroid medication twice a day wrapped in a bit of store bought sliced bread. She says to tell you it's yummy!

Here on CD, a discussion of mold and bread without preservatives.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=1316145

You can taste the chemicals? How interesting!

Quote:
I have heard about reports of harm from the consumption of grass fed and free range meats. Yet, you heard nothing about deleterious effects of the industrial meats. I can see 11 years old girls with well developed breasts and all the woman' machinery working. Do you invite me to believe that consumption of industrial, hormone and chemical rich meats does nothing else to our bodies except accelerating puberty?
Would you please provide sources about "harm" from free range and grass fed beef? What kind of "harm"?

Evolutionary biologists feel that the decline in the age of puberty may actually represent better nutrition and a return to a state similar to that of Paleolithic females. In other words, earlier is not necessarily physiologically abnormal.

New Research Shows How Evolution Explains Age Of Puberty

Quote:
I still don't understand how you can claim "No harm" if people die and get sick every day and nobody cares to study effects of the food additives and agri-chemicals on all that death and sickness around us?
How do you know it is not being studied?

CDC - NCEH Health Studies - Understanding Chemical Exposures

Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
What farmers you are talking about? Farmers are going extinct. The ones who remain are hard to call "farmers" in the old fashioned sense. They are either managers of the large family operations, indentured CAFO "owners" or corn&soy bean planters who follow scientific recommendations to the letter. Authentic farming knowledge is disappearing fast and there is little or no market for it. CAFO operators normally don't own the feed, they must comply with all corporate requirements on the feed, additives and animal handling or their contract is null and void and they are left with multimillion debts to pay off. Modern farmers know how to follow and comply with corporate science, or else. Try again.

I talked to a corn farmer who didn't know anything about seed saving. That's not how modern farming operates. "Farmers" pay for the corporate seed products that come with full set of the instructions on planting, fertilizing and spraying.

BTW, what about that Taiwanese Institute? Did you check their English, International Relation and Communication credentials already? Are those credentials more qualifying to have an opinion on ractopamine than playing volleyball?
Clearly, you have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. You just haven't the slightest inkling of a clue.

Here's how I know: NO farmer has been "seed saving" his corn for almost 75 years. Would you like to know why? It has to do with 40 bushels per acre, as opposed to 225 bushels per acre. They plant HYBRID seed corn.

Thank you for your confession of complete ignorance.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Sure all businesses, grey and green, are all about money. I never mentioned organic industry, I don't believe that global organic agri biz is the answer. Yet, you refuse to comprehend simple fact that gross revenue ( "Raw" sales income; the amount customers actually pay the company when they make their purchases.)) of the organic industry (25 billions) is probably less than combined marketing expenditure$ of the fast food and soft drink industries. Compare 25 billions of the "organic" gross revenue to the gross revenues of Coca Cola alone (23 billions or so in 2010).
Yet again, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Comparing Coca Cola to agribusiness is asinine. And everyone who has any inkling of a clue knows it - which is why most of us don't make such fanciful comparisons, let alone try to draw conclusions from them.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Clearly, you have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. You just haven't the slightest inkling of a clue.

Here's how I know: NO farmer has been "seed saving" his corn for almost 75 years. Would you like to know why? It has to do with 40 bushels per acre, as opposed to 225 bushels per acre. They plant HYBRID seed corn.

Thank you for your confession of complete ignorance.

I don't have to call you ignorant, your post does it instead of me. As of 2012, 95% of corn acreage is in hybrid corn. This percentage was much less just 20 years ago. Hybrid seed became available circa 1930, yet lion's share of hybrid productivity is derived from increased applications of chemical fertilizers after WWII.
Quote:
"NO farmer has been "seed saving" his corn for almost 75 years"
It is pure delusion. Many older farmers did save seeds, their seeds, not so long time ago. In the industrial model overwhelming share of fruit$ of the productivity growth is appropriated by suppliers of machinery, fertilizers, poisons and seeds. Frequently, the newest gadgets and seeds don't make any financial sense (for a farmer). Higher costs of the new improved inputs overshadow productivity $pike. I'm typing this so you could understand that saying NO to hybrid seeds was a rational financial decision for many (mostly older) farmers. If nobody saved seeds for 75 years, why Monsanto needs an army of snitches? "Monsanto has filed 145 lawsuits since 1997 against farmers who saved seeds." Usually, a threat of a lawsuit is sufficient.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-18-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Yet again, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Comparing Coca Cola to agribusiness is asinine. And everyone who has any inkling of a clue knows it - which is why most of us don't make such fanciful comparisons, let alone try to draw conclusions from them.
I compared gross revenues. Gross revenue of Coca Cola was roughly 23 billions, soft drink annual sales - 60 billions, evil organic pushers grossed whopping 25 billion$. Who has more of marketing power? What if I add gross revenues of all junk food pushers? It would dwarf organics.

Pay attention to your TV ads, how many of those are paid for by evil vegetable and organic pushers? Let me guess, close to zero, right?

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-18-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
I compared gross revenues. Gross revenue of Coca Cola was roughly 23 billions, soft drink annual sales - 60 billions, evil organic pushers grossed whopping 25 billion$. Who has more of marketing power? What if I add gross revenues of all junk food pushers? It would dwarf organics.

Pay attention to your TV ads, how many of those are paid for by evil vegetable and organic pushers? Let me guess, close to zero, right?
The Impending National Advertising Campaign for Organic Food

Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I don't have to call you ignorant, your post does it instead of me. As of 2012, 95% of corn acreage is in hybrid corn. This percentage was much less just 20 years ago. Hybrid seed became available circa 1930, yet lion's share of hybrid productivity is derived from increased applications of chemical fertilizers after WWII. It is pure delusion. Many older farmers did save seeds, their seeds, not so long time ago. In the industrial model overwhelming share of fruit$ of the productivity growth is appropriated by suppliers of machinery, fertilizers, poisons and seeds. Frequently, the newest gadgets and seeds don't make any financial sense (for a farmer). Higher costs of the new improved inputs overshadow productivity $pike. I'm typing this so you could understand that saying NO to hybrid seeds was a rational financial decision for many (mostly older) farmers. If nobody saved seeds for 75 years, why Monsanto needs an army of snitches? "Monsanto has filed 145 lawsuits since 1997 against farmers who saved seeds." Usually, a threat of a lawsuit is sufficient.
Sorry, but again, you've proven yourself 100% ignorant. Dead wrong. You simply do NOT know what you're talking about.

My father - a yet to be retired 77-year old farmer - has not "saved back corn for seed" since he started farming in 1960.

And the tired old "Monsanto sued the farmers for saving seed" crap? Really? Seriously? You mean to tell me you DON'T know what that's about? Geez Louise! PLEASE tell me that you know why there were lawsuits of this manner, or just confess that you - again - haven't a clue!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Yet again, ignorance compounded. You might as well compare Coca Cola to the national budget.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Most of them did not survive very long, did they?
If not for sodium nitrates, blue #1 and yellow #6 we all would die, that's true.

Quote:
I cannot see a correlation between agricultural chemicals and cancer, can you?
You will never find it, if you compare national cancer rates to herbicide etc. use that is very localized and specialized.

There is plenty of mainstream science that links cancer rates to agrochemicals. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ealthresources

However, compared with the general population, the rates for certain diseases, including some types of cancer, appear to be higher among agricultural workers, which may be related to exposures that are common in their work environments. For example, farming communities have higher rates of leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and soft tissue sarcoma, as well as cancers of the skin, lip, stomach, brain, and prostate. Even though no one set of risk factors explains these higher cancer rates, the range of environmental exposures in the farming community is of concern. Farmers, farm workers, and farm family members may be exposed to substances such as pesticides, engine exhausts, solvents, dusts, animal viruses, fertilizers, fuels, and specific microbes that may account for these elevated cancer rates. However, human studies reported to date have not allowed researchers to sort out which of these factors may be linked to which cancer types.

Agricultural Health Study - National Cancer Institute

Quote:
Children with autism are born that way. Their brains are wired differently.
Publish your findings and wiring blueprints ASAP.

Quote:
By the way, Dr. Grandin's area of expertise is animal science. She has an interest in the humane management of food animals and actually designs slaughterhouses and advises meat producers on the best ways to handle animals.
I've seen plenty of feed lots and CAFOs, thanks, now I've seen an acclaimed individual partially responsible for that "humane" horror.

Quote:
Actually, I said genetic. Genetic conditions often involve more than one gene. You are again showing your lack of understanding of basic biology.
OK, genetic conditions that involve more than one gene were mighty dormant for the past 100,000 years.

Quote:
You deem everything unsafe without any evidence to support the idea.
Try to apply your reasoning next time you take a trip or find a bag full of groceries sitting in your driveway.

Quote:
You can taste the chemicals? How interesting!
You can't taste the chemicals? that's what happens if one grows up with them.

Quote:
Would you please provide sources about "harm" from free range and grass fed beef? What kind of "harm"?
A spike in death due to heart deceases followed a spike in meat consumption long before corporate CAFOs and ractopamine.

Quote:
Evolutionary biologists feel that the decline in the age of puberty may actually represent better nutrition and a return to a state similar to that of Paleolithic females. In other words, earlier is not necessarily physiologically abnormal.
Yup, menstruating and growing boobs long before pelvis is ready sounds like an evolutionary winner.

Quote:
How do you know it is not being studied?
not nearly enough, if at all.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-18-2012 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living