U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,035,647 times

Advertisements

Russia bans meat from ractopamine-treated animals Cattle News - Editorial, Grain & Cattle Markets, Current Stories

Ractopamine, a feed additive used to promote lean-meat production. They feed animal high caloric diets their bodies are not designed for, they restrain animals, then they design chemicals to provide lean beef & pork with hyped up health "benefits". It's a typical "problem solving" approach of the industrial agriculture. Agri biz sources claim it's all about politics even though 80 countries, even China, ban ractopamine.

Why US is so permissive, why they feed us chemicals that even third world countries don't allow? Yet, big brother deploys covert agents to crack down on illegal trade in raw eggs, meat & milk. I really doubt that corporate brass and FDA front men (frequently, it's the same people) gorge themselves on ractopamine rich diet of lean meats, neither I believe that Tyson brass eats their chicken products, or Smithfield brass ever attempts to chew through rubber like substance they market as bacon these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

23,203 posts, read 27,980,354 times
As it is reported, it does seem suspicious that the Russian ban is politically motivated.

It appears that the residue in the animals' muscle is on the order of parts per billion, certainly not "ractopamine rich." I can find no evidence that it is harmful to humans. Do you have any?

The drug is a beta agonist, which means it acts like epinephrine (adrenaline). it is also similar to ephedra, which is now banned as a weight loss supplement because it causes cardiovascular complications.

It may cause changes in the behavior of pigs(http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/swine/swineday/sday02/19.pdf ).

The increased activity may be one of the mechanisms that fosters a leaner animal.

So the question would be whether a case could be made to ban it for reasons of animal welfare, not human safety.

Do you have something to support the allegation that the people who sell meat and poultry do not eat their own products?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,353,917 times
It's too bad the OP didn't include this from the article he/she/it posted.... Dontcha just love it when people selectively post something from an article to further their agenda?

Quote:
In a move largely seen as political retaliation, Russia has announced it will turn away U.S. beef and pork imports unless the U.S. can certify them as containing no residue of ractopamine, a feed additive used to promote lean-meat production.
It seems this is another one of the FUD scares like GM crops... Has anyone (eating the normal amount of beef or pork) ever gotten sick from ractopamine? No.....

I wish the OP had used an impartial eye when he/she/it ranted on about the US as Canada also uses this ingredient in their cows and pigs....

Canada asks Russia to delay ractopamine requirement for meat - Yahoo! News

Taiwan leaning toward lifting ban on ractopamine

Quote:
Yang noted that the decision was based on experts views gathered from three meetings over the past three weeks.

Another deciding factor in reaching the decision was President Ma Ying-jeou's instruction that people's health is the top consideration in the matter. Yang said the government agreed to allow the import of beef with ractopamine residues only after experts put forth the conclusion that no existing literature shows any cases of consumers having fallen ill after eating it.
Taiwan leaning toward lifting ban on ractopamine

Legislature votes to allow ractopamine

Legislature votes to allow ractopamine - Taipei Times

Even the U.N. says it's safe in moderation (which holds true for any food/liquid)

Codex Adopts Ractopamine Limits for Beef and Pork | Food Safety News

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,305,509 times
Yeah, that's Russia for ya. SAFETY FIRST!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Almost every week I discover new chemicals they use on animals/crops. According to believers, there is nothing to FUD about, everything is honky-dorry, no "evidence", no worries, bon appetit. You want to eat chemical cocktails just because it means more money for Smithfield etc., fine. Personally I want to see typical menus of Smithfield, Tyson, FDA, Conagra, Cargill, Monsanto, etc. brass. I want to know what they FUD about. I have have a hunch that they are not that different than me. Wouldn't be a perfect marketing campaign to invite American public to their private tables?

Russia (whatever its motives) joined 80 other countries including EU that don't allow ractopamine, any ractopamine. Even China, think about it, require pigs to be ractopamine free. Of course, decisions of Canada and USA, well know champions of the corporate agri biz no matter the public costs, are the ultimate authority on the matter.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,305,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Almost every week I discover new chemicals they use on animals/crops. According to believers, there is nothing to FUD about, everything is honky-dorry, no "evidence", no worries, bon appetit. You want to eat chemical cocktails just because it means more money for Smithfield etc., fine. Personally I want to see typical menus of Smithfield, Tyson, FDA, Conagra, Cargill, Monsanto, etc. brass. I want to know what they FUD about. I have have a hunch that they are not that different than me. Wouldn't be a perfect marketing campaign to invite American public to their private tables?

Russia (whatever its motives) joined 80 other countries including EU that don't allow ractopamine, any ractopamine. Even China, think about it, require pigs to be ractopamine free. Of course, decisions of Canada and USA, well know champions of the corporate agri biz no matter the public costs, are the ultimate authority on the matter.
So then, you DO like you some tasty, tasty Rotenone with a side of Copper Sulfate?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Like I said, show the accredited scientific studies and facts that show any of the things you are phobic about are dangerous to human health....

Until you do this is is nothing more than another anti-technology I'm scawred of modern science bashing thread....

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Like I said, show the accredited scientific studies and facts that show any of the things you are phobic about are dangerous to human health....

Until you do this is is nothing more than another anti-technology I'm scawred of modern science bashing thread....
So EU and China didn't use accredited scientific sources and facts to ban ractopamine? Don't turn a burden of the proof upside down. Do you know of accredited scientific sources that made an attempt to study synergistic effects of hundreds of agri chemicals on our bodies (not speaking of environment etc.)? You don't, do you? If no such study ever was attempted, what are scientific foundations of your broken record message? Do you have scientific evidence showing that the food we eat has nothing to do with quadrupling and ten-folding of autism, depression, chronic fatigue, lupus, cancer (one out of three develops cancer before the age of 65).

To preempt your usual broken record message: The precautionary principle or precautionary approach states if an action or policy has a suspected risk of causing harm to the public or to the environment, in the absence of scientific consensus that the action or policy is harmful, the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking the action. Let me guess, cutting age corporate science debunked the precautionary principle as non scientific?

Do you happen to know food preferences of Smithfield and Tyson' board of directors by any chance? Do they celebrate science by eating its finest Frankenstein products or they leave the honor to us plebeians? I'm just curious, since you worship science so much, do you buy the cheapest supermarket breads with laundry list of chemicals at concentrations negating the taste of flour. Better yet, are you on the ghetto and trailer park diet of the finest Frankenstein products food industry has to offer (it's the only diet truly scientifically minded individuals in love with GMO should be on, imho)?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 PM

23,203 posts, read 27,980,354 times
Quote:
So EU and China didn't use accredited scientific sources and facts to ban ractopamine?
No

Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
So EU and China didn't use accredited scientific sources and facts to ban ractopamine? Don't turn a burden of the proof upside down. Do you know of accredited scientific sources that made an attempt to study synergistic effects of hundreds of agri chemicals on our bodies (not speaking of environment etc.)? You don't, do you? If no such study ever was attempted, what are scientific foundations of your broken record message? Do you have scientific evidence showing that the food we eat has nothing to do with quadrupling and ten-folding of autism, depression, chronic fatigue, lupus, cancer (one out of three develops cancer before the age of 65).
I guess you didn't bother to read the OP or the words were too big for you: (it's called tit for tat)

Quote:
In a move largely seen as political retaliation, Russia has announced it will turn away U.S. beef and pork imports unless the U.S. can certify them as containing no residue of ractopamine, a feed additive used to promote lean-meat production.
China banned it for:

Quote:
The order came after a major pork contamination scandal hit China this spring when the Shuanghui Group, China's largest meat-processing company, was found to be purchasing pigs that had been fed with adulterated pig feed, prompting a national crackdown on the use of what's called as "lean meat powder."
As far as the rest of your rant goes there is the GMO thread which covers your GMO phobia nine ways from nowhere, go read it you might learn something. There are numerous accredited scientific articles there showing that the abject fear some people have concerning GMO's are groundless and the propaganda put out by the anti-GMO crowd is just that, lies, half-truths and fantasies....

GMO News and Discussion Thread

Quote:
To preempt your usual broken record message: The precautionary principle or precautionary approach states if an action or policy has a suspected risk of causing harm to the public or to the environment, in the absence of scientific consensus that the action or policy is harmful, the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking the action. Let me guess, cutting age corporate science debunked the precautionary principle as non scientific?
Again, all you speak about has been covered in the GMO thread, I'm not going to regurgitate it because you're too lazy to read...

Quote:
Do you happen to know food preferences of Smithfield and Tyson' board of directors by any chance? Do they celebrate science by eating its finest Frankenstein products or they leave the honor to us plebeians? I'm just curious, since you worship science so much, do you buy the cheapest supermarket breads with laundry list of chemicals at concentrations negating the taste of flour. Better yet, are you on the ghetto and trailer park diet of the finest Frankenstein products food industry has to offer (it's the only diet truly scientifically minded individuals in love with GMO should be on, imho)?
Careful, your elitist nose is sticking up really high in the air right now: "ghetto and trailer park diet of the finest Frankenstein products food industry"

Not me, I eat only certified organic foods grown in soil that has been urinated and defecated on by numerous animals, enriched by the decomposed bodies of people and animals, had acid rain fall on it and dusted by microbes born by the winds from the Sahara desert.....

I guess I must be purchasing the right Frankenstein products because I'm here reading your posts and I've eaten garbage foods for over 60 years.....

Last edited by plwhit; 12-11-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living