U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 35,831 times

Advertisements

Hypocrites and ignorant followers. Yes, that is what I have been observing. The frustrating part is that most of these people are highly educated but have absolutely no real world life experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,437,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeemug View Post
I became interested in green and self sufficient living a couple years ago. I see the cycles that are taking place. The newest hot button technique is blindly jumped upon, desired, and praised. The fever pitch race to be on top of the latest enviro trend is the same hunger that is found in those that need to acquire materialistic wealth for fulfillment in life.
I agree that it's the same thing and I fail to see how all this gadgetry is "green." There is some slick marketing going on and people are making money. Manufacturers are capitalizing on the trend. Those consumers are sustaining the economy but I'm not so sure about the environment. Nothing wrong with marketing and making money though. Something "trendy" always draws in a bunch. The term "green living" itself is trendy (it drew you in, right?) and it heavily promotes consumerism with all the "green" products. Stuff you don't need for sustainable, self-sufficient living.

Quote:
The hippie world has a status ladder. It seems as though I left one rat race and entered another. The hunger is a turn off.

Do you feel the same?
I'm not a hippie, far from it but I would venture to say that yes, hippies are susceptible to consumerism and status same as anyone else.

Sounds like what you are aiming for is more along the lines of a simpler lifestyle (simple living) encompassing increased self-sufficiency and frugality. Less consumerism, not more. To what level you want to take it, or what combination of practices you choose for your lifestyle is up to you. It's an individual thing -not a group thing, not a trendy thing. And nobody is marketing to you for obvious reasons. There is little to no money to be made from self-sufficient, frugal people. You don't need newfangled manufactured gadgets for sustainable, self-sufficient living, just some common sense, creative recycling or repurposing, knowledge for growing your own food, stuff like that.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,384,345 times
Quote:
Hypocrites and ignorant followers. Yes, that is what I have been observing. The frustrating part is that most of these people are highly educated but have absolutely no real world life experience.
As I asked you once before:

"I wish the OP had posted examples of what he/she/it considers to be "newest hot button technique is blindly jumped upon""

Now a second question: What have you been observing?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,451,258 times
Becasue "green products and servoces are the new buzz word, amy companies advertise they are doing something special, or have a special product and are just "greenwashing". It can be difficult and sometimes frustrating to sort through them all. Especially if you are building a house, and you want to be efficient and Sustainable.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,384,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Becasue "green products and servoces are the new buzz word, amy companies advertise they are doing something special, or have a special product and are just "greenwashing". It can be difficult and sometimes frustrating to sort through them all. Especially if you are building a house, and you want to be efficient and Sustainable.
The green products advertising and promotional schemes playing on people's heart strings have been with us for about two decades now, nothing new there.

Anatomy of Green Advertising

Advances in Consumer Research Volume 20, 1993 Pages 494-501

Quote:
Green is in, no question about it. The term "green", as we intend it, implies an underlying concern for preservation of the evnironment and a noninvasive lifestyle. Generally targets for concerns are the preservation of the planet earth, personal health, and animal life. Moreover, the goal of preservation is generally accompanied with a belief that noninvasive methods have to be employed in achieving those goals. Thus, activities causing the least damage to the planet earth, its environment, human and animal life are preferred.
http://www.acrwebsite.org/search/vie...s.aspx?Id=7499

It would be helpful if the OP described what he/she/it is talking about wouldn't it?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM

2,767 posts, read 2,294,607 times
Quote:
I became interested in green and self sufficient living a couple years ago. I see the cycles that are taking place. The newest hot button technique is blindly jumped upon, desired, and praised. The fever pitch race to be on top of the latest enviro trend is the same hunger that is found in those that need to acquire materialistic wealth for fulfillment in life. The hippie world has a status ladder. It seems as though I left one rat race and entered another. The hunger is a turn off.

Do you feel the same?
Well, that's up to you now, isn't it?

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 AM

3,947 posts, read 4,118,499 times
Quote:
I became interested in green and self sufficient living a couple years ago. I see the cycles that are taking place. The newest hot button technique is blindly jumped upon, desired, and praised. The fever pitch race to be on top of the latest enviro trend is the same hunger that is found in those that need to acquire materialistic wealth for fulfillment in life. The hippie world has a status ladder. It seems as though I left one rat race and entered another. The hunger is a turn off.

Do you feel the same?
Not everything people claim to be green is about green, but rather, greed.

When you have the wrong people in the business for the wrong reasons because it's about competition rather than producing products of quality that will actually provide long-term use, they make going green seem like a dumb fad.

I'm all in support of going green, but just like doctors who become doctors for money and prestige, people going green for their own self-entitlement and power make the whole philosophy behind the cause pointless.

Just like those who swear by the hypocratic oath to serve and save the people in their community and swear by their ethical guidelines, yet dump their patients on skid row, the hypocrisy behind their intent turns me off.

Not to dismiss or forget some people's honest intent with going green and actually helping create a cause. They probably don't see going green as profit but of a social duty and obligation.

Last edited by kat949; 02-09-2013 at 03:47 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,719,786 times
Ok, the first step is to chill the h$ll out. What can you do to help the environment? Make your own cleaners, try to figure out how to cut down on your driving, decide if you need the newest, latest gadget, or if the one you already have will do. Can you recycle or reuse? Can you compost?
It is not a rat race, it is a way of living. Can you grow tomatoes and/or other foods? You don't have to go whole hog or buy the latest gadget, just take it slow and make a few lifestyle changes. For instance, do you really need the tv on all of the time, or can you enjoy nature or play board games with your family?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,049,855 times
If you don't want disillusionment set unachievable goals. Disillusionment is an essential part of the human makeup. Green living (in the AlGoresque sense) is easily achievable. There is no happily-ever-after or any measurable impact for that matter.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM

7,260 posts, read 15,300,867 times
"Green-washing" is everywhere - corporations and marketeers trying to call this product or that process "green" (frequently when it is pretty darn marginal) and hyping it as the latest, greatest thing.

A lot of the issues are beyond the ability of the average consumer to research without relying on a biased source. As another poster suggested, you do the things you can yourself directly and you try to weigh, as best you can, the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living