U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,694 posts, read 8,457,152 times
Reputation: 4862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't think zero waste is achievable but I would like to see less waste simply because it means taxpayers have to spend less money building new landfills plus there is still value to be had recycling a lot of that waste.
I think it is achieveable because there's precedent. Right now, only 1% of all Swedish waste goes into landfills, they have so little waste and such high composting and recycling that they're actually importing Norway's garbage to meet their demand for trash, which they burn to heat their homes in winter:

Sweden wants Norway's trash (and lots of it)

Californians are no less capable than Swedes, with enough political will and education I'm sure that California to can approach zero waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM
 
6,805 posts, read 4,999,618 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think it is achieveable because there's precedent. Right now, only 1% of all Swedish waste goes into landfills, they have so little waste and such high composting and recycling that they're actually importing Norway's garbage to meet their demand for trash, which they burn to heat their homes in winter:

Sweden wants Norway's trash (and lots of it)

Californians are no less capable than Swedes, with enough political will and education I'm sure that California to can approach zero waste
Very interesting. And my concerns are somewhat alleviated.

Quote:
Sweden's strict standards limit emissions from waste incineration and most emissions have fallen considerably because of technical development and better waste sorting.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-10-sweden-norway-trash-lots.html#jCp
MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-29-2013 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: going off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Quimper Peninsula
1,981 posts, read 2,508,394 times
Reputation: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't think zero waste is achievable but I would like to see less waste simply because it means taxpayers have to spend less money building new landfills plus there is still value to be had recycling a lot of that waste.
This is about where I am at...^ (Achievable YET)

Yes, Zero waste sounds great.... It is a goal to reach for.... IMO it needs to be grass roots though... It is up to consumers to drive it with their purchasing dollars..... Yes government can nudge things in the right direction via education for people and tax incentive for companies... But still the people have to take the lead..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,062,839 times
Reputation: 10906
Zero waste = ye olde sloppe bucket, 800AD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,773,379 times
Reputation: 3806
'Night soil' is still widely used around the world ... esp. in China ... For fertilizing. There is some danger with it as handled primitively. However, thermophilic composting does the trick, can be done by anyone with even a small yard, presents no dangers or stink, produces brilliant soil. Saves huge quantities of water (does California have a water problem?) and would save a TON of taxpayer money otherwise spent on treatment. For a primer may I recommend:
The Humanure Handbook - Center of the Humanure Universe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 13,970,414 times
Reputation: 6327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Kind of gives a new meaning for hippie ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Where they serve real ale.
7,249 posts, read 6,646,087 times
Reputation: 3497
I saw a video on that a while back on youtube and frankly it just sounds way to extremist to me. If people want to treat human feces then the cheapest, most efficient, and most standardized way to do it is at a waste water processing facility. Believe it or not after the whole treatment and bio-remediation process is complete they still end up with a whole lot of organic matter which has been rendered safe and which farmers do use to fertilize their fields right here in America. The process can be completed in a couple of days which is much faster than trying to compost human feces in your backyard for a year.

It's safer, cleaner, cheaper, and faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,773,379 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Kind of gives a new meaning for hippie ****.
S*** is s***, in my experience. Whether hippie or banker or politician or farmer in origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I saw a video on that a while back on youtube and frankly it just sounds way to extremist to me. If people want to treat human feces then the cheapest, most efficient, and most standardized way to do it is at a waste water processing facility. Believe it or not after the whole treatment and bio-remediation process is complete they still end up with a whole lot of organic matter which has been rendered safe and which farmers do use to fertilize their fields right here in America. The process can be completed in a couple of days which is much faster than trying to compost human feces in your backyard for a year.

It's safer, cleaner, cheaper, and faster.
I understand that the vast majority of Americans have become solidly fecal-phobic over the past century or so. And I don't expect that will change. Nor do I particularly promote self fecal composting - because I don't believe many people will accept it. But you are wrong to assert that "treating" fecal matter is "cheapest and most efficient" in today's wastewater facilities.

Another system that has been a topic of serious study is curbside collection of fecal output, much as with trash and recycling today -- for large-scale managed thermophilic composting.

In any case, wastewater sewage systems -- that is, the use of large quantities of water to flush away what we find too messy to personally deal with -- is destined to become an historical relic ... sooner than you might imagine. Composting and incinerating toilets of today are precursors of tomorrow's changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
 
2,145 posts, read 1,583,962 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think it is achieveable because there's precedent. Right now, only 1% of all Swedish waste goes into landfills, they have so little waste and such high composting and recycling that they're actually importing Norway's garbage to meet their demand for trash, which they burn to heat their homes in winter:

Sweden wants Norway's trash (and lots of it)

Californians are no less capable than Swedes, with enough political will and education I'm sure that California to can approach zero waste
I'm pretty sure burning trash does not qualify as zero waste...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
 
208 posts, read 279,456 times
Reputation: 172
"Zero Waste"
Start with this thread and delete it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top