U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
 
13 posts, read 28,095 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Here's my take:

The American Dream of the past is not a sustainable course of our current society. Corporate careers, large homes with upside down mortgages, gas-guzzling vehicles, overly-processed foods, political extremism and expensive or difficult-to-access healthcare are just some of the problems with what many consider the "American Dream".

My version of the 21st Century American Dream consists of living in the modern world but outside of the 'rat race' practiced currently by most citizens in the United States. To me, it includes green living, off-grid living, self-employment, disaster preparedness, owner financed real estate, holistic medicine, eating/growing organic whole foods, self-sufficiency, and libertarianism.

What's your version??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
 
2,145 posts, read 1,579,327 times
Reputation: 1057
The 20th century American dream is still good enough for me, it was good enough for some of the most productive generations in the history of the world after-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM
 
13 posts, read 28,095 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
The 20th century American dream is still good enough for me, it was good enough for some of the most productive generations in the history of the world after-all.
But times change. I just don't see how the American Dream of older generations can be sustained by those younger than 40.

I feel a better quality of life can be achieved by unplugging from the rat race and living simply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,343,082 times
Reputation: 7641
What is the 21st Century American Dream?

~ Cars that don't break down

~ 100GB/s free Internet

~ Kobe steaks for less than $130.00/lb

~ A secure OS

~ The discovery of who built Gobekli Tepe

~ The blight of wind farms is removed from the American landscape

~ The United States and Russia merge together to become one country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 PM
 
4,981 posts, read 5,033,463 times
Reputation: 6312
I would say that moving up the food chain is an universal human dream, there is nothing American about it. After all, great many folk fairy tales are all about from rags to riches. The promise of America - everybody can move up the food chain if he works hard, do this and that right. In other words, American dream is a delusion to begin with. If you do this and that right, you can move up the food chain just about anywhere. How to find out if you did this and that right? Simple, if you moved up the food chain, you worked a lot, you did this and that right. If you didn't, sorry pal, you must take personal responsibility .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM
 
13 posts, read 28,095 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I would say that moving up the food chain is an universal human dream, there is nothing American about it. After all, great many folk fairy tales are all about from rags to riches. The promise of America - everybody can move up the food chain if he works hard, do this and that right. In other words, American dream is a delusion to begin with. If you do this and that right, you can move up the food chain just about anywhere. How to find out if you did this and that right? Simple, if you moved up the food chain, you worked a lot, you did this and that right. If you didn't, sorry pal, you must take personal responsibility .
Umm, you missed my point. I'm saying the trends of thought seems to promote not feeling the need to 'move up the food chain'.

I feel the modern American Dream is to forgo big debt for houses and cars and live more within frugal means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,553 posts, read 8,470,407 times
Reputation: 5137
The removal from Mother Earth of that pernicious infestation called humanity! Through selective breeding, abortion, eugenics or however, 85% of the worlds population should be eliminated leaveing the rest of the world to live in enlightened gunfree garden of eden without god, peace.....You know the standard utopian wet dream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
 
4,981 posts, read 5,033,463 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21stCenturyAmericanDream View Post
Umm, you missed my point. I'm saying the trends of thought seems to promote not feeling the need to 'move up the food chain'.

I feel the modern American Dream is to forgo big debt for houses and cars and live more within frugal means.
Every dollar in your wallet represents a debt of somebody to somebody else, every dollar in your walled is "owed" by somebody. In the monetary system we are subjected to, money is created as debt. No debt = No money. No new debts = no money to pay off old debts + interest, which means that everything is crushing down (including your green living & stuff).

Our social institutions, our economy and financial system, our ideas about human place & purpose in the world, our everything are rooted in the perpetual growth. Perpetual growth is what fuels "Moving up the food chain", that what keeps society together. In this particular case, individual efforts cannot override "the system" and its operational requirements. I may dislike "the system" of the cancer like growth but it keeps me alive. There are no easy ways to reprogram it, if that is even possible without major social upheavals and rivers of blood. So everybody pretends that business as usual can go forever. Al Goresque "solutions" are not solutions, they are pacifiers deflecting attention from the need for major social & economic changes. You driving a bicycle, living in a box and recycling solve nothing since it's possible only because many more people drive SUVs, live in McMansions and don't recycle thus keeping "they system" (that produces bicycles, boxes & things to recycle) running. If they would stop doing that, I guarantee that you would forget about driving a bicycle & recycling, you would dedicate 100% of your efforts to surviving in very nasty & dog eat dog (literally) world.

The point being that your "living within your means" is made possible by the people & businesses who don't. Besides, how exactly one can live within his means if he/she doesn't know (not speaking of control) what those means would be tomorrow? Our means depend on the zillions of things we don't even know they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
 
13 posts, read 28,095 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Every dollar in your wallet represents a debt of somebody to somebody else, every dollar in your walled is "owed" by somebody. In the monetary system we are subjected to, money is created as debt. No debt = No money. No new debts = no money to pay off old debts + interest, which means that everything is crushing down (including your green living & stuff).

Our social institutions, our economy and financial system, our ideas about human place & purpose in the world, our everything are rooted in the perpetual growth. Perpetual growth is what fuels "Moving up the food chain", that what keeps society together. In this particular case, individual efforts cannot override "the system" and its operational requirements. I may dislike "the system" of the cancer like growth but it keeps me alive. There are no easy ways to reprogram it, if that is even possible without major social upheavals and rivers of blood. So everybody pretends that business as usual can go forever. Al Goresque "solutions" are not solutions, they are pacifiers deflecting attention from the need for major social & economic changes. You driving a bicycle, living in a box and recycling solve nothing since it's possible only because many more people drive SUVs, live in McMansions and don't recycle thus keeping "they system" (that produces bicycles, boxes & things to recycle) running. If they would stop doing that, I guarantee that you would forget about driving a bicycle & recycling, you would dedicate 100% of your efforts to surviving in very nasty & dog eat dog (literally) world.

The point being that your "living within your means" is made possible by the people & businesses who don't. Besides, how exactly one can live within his means if he/she doesn't know (not speaking of control) what those means would be tomorrow? Our means depend on the zillions of things we don't even know they exist.
Some great points here. I don't think this will happen quickly, but I do think more and more people will strive for (or be forced to seek) more self-sufficiency than the masses (me included) have now. I've made a big turnaround in my own life and have started to seek something different from the dog-eat-dog world.

Some of us are looking to get out of the cities, be off-grid prepared, and enjoy a different lifestyle. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,892 posts, read 23,070,805 times
Reputation: 5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What is the 21st Century American Dream?

~ Cars that don't break down

~ 100GB/s free Internet

~ Kobe steaks for less than $130.00/lb

~ A secure OS

~ The discovery of who built Gobekli Tepe

~ The blight of wind farms is removed from the American landscape

~ The United States and Russia merge together to become one country
Well add Canada and you have as mega Super power that has all the Resources and everything that all the other growing countries need but add in India, Britain, France and the Nordic countries ( where France and the Nordic EU members ditch the Eurozone with the UK to join our trade block) with Australia, new Zealand, South Korea and Japan.

We go all out for nuclear fusion power plants and a have a even larger scale of joint Co-operation that get us out into space, medical technology and bio-engineering, Nano technology Genetic engineering to make us have a better immune system, live longer and integrate computer technology to use a AI computer system(s)at is 1000X smarter than man work with us to figure out solutions to complex problems.

trans humanist is where we go and that means mankind in space to insure we as species survive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top