Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

Testing the feasibility for driving between Washington DC, New York and Boston did not test the intended use. The car is intended for high speed mid or long distance interstate travel. This car is a moderately high performance sports car designed for home to bus daily commute and weekend fast drives to the camp or ski slope around 100 miles away. Besides, if someone wanted to travel between Boston and DC they would take the Acella HS train.

Given the cost of the TESLA, even if I had the money, I would probably buy a 2002 06 C5 Corvett for one fourth the cost and many times the fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Besides, if someone wanted to travel between Boston and DC they would take the Acella HS train.
Not unless you're made of money and time. That's a 6 hour ride for 200 clams. Might as well fly and get there in 2.5 including airport security. Same price or cheaper. Bus or driving takes only slightly longer and is cheaper too. I honestly don't know how that train not only stays in business but is profitable.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
Few people take the train from DC to Boston. The train from DC to NYC carries more traffic than the airlines. I suspect the same thing works from Boston to NYC.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Uh, no. I've never set my cruise control at 65 and coasted up to 80!! Not even on a 8% grade in the mountains, and there are NO grades like that on his trip. Try telling that tale to the state police when they pull you over.

Maybe if you disengage the drive train and really coast, but it would have to be a STEEP grade. I am guessing the reporter sped up to pass someone and just didn't remember, but he shouldn't try to blame it on the cruise control. That's ridiculous, and calls the rest of his account into question.
I didn't read that as "I set the cruise control at 65 and it sped up to 80 on a decline." I think there are two separate and independent claims being made:

1. The driver drove above 80 mph momentarily; and

2. A car set on cruise control at 65 mph can go faster (meaning 66-68) when going down a hill.

I did not interpret that to mean that the driver was cruising at 65 mph and then rocketed up to 80 mph once he hit a decline. Not sure how you're reading it that way.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Default Correction to my post #21

I meant to say "the car is not designed for long distance interstate travel".

I agree with DCforever. Boston to DC is far enough to take an airplane. NYC to DC the train is more efficient.

Given the price of a new TESLA I would buy a new 'Vett. Given my budget I would buy a used one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living