U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,429,916 times

Advertisements

Taking off the rose tinted glasses and looking at it with common sense.....

Quote:
On the evening of March 23, 1.3 billion people will go without light at 8:30—and at 9:30, and at 10:30, and for the rest of the night—just like every other night of the year. With no access to electricity, darkness after sunset is a constant reality for these people.

At the same time, another 1 billion people will participate in “Earth Hour” by turning off their lights from 8:30-9:30.

Earth Hour teaches us that tackling global warming is easy. Yet, by switching off the lights, all we are doing is making it harder to see.

Notice that you have not been asked to switch off anything really inconvenient, like your heating or air-conditioning, television, computer, mobile phone, or any of the myriad technologies that depend on affordable, plentiful energy electricity and make modern life possible. If switching off the lights for one hour per year really were beneficial, why would we not do it for the other 8,759?

Hypothetically, switching off the lights for an hour would cut CO2 emissions from power plants around the world. But, even if everyone in the entire world cut all residential lighting, and this translated entirely into CO2 reduction, it would be the equivalent of China pausing its CO2 emissions for less than four minutes.
Earth Hour is all wrong. We need more electricity, not less. - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

482 posts, read 646,463 times
I agree.

I'm all for saving energy and polluting less but imo earth hour is waste of time.

Seems like interest in it peaked a few years ago, last year I noticed most people in my neighborhood
didn't participate.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,024,488 times
What a stupid article!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM

837 posts, read 1,626,798 times
While its not going to help reduce much carbon, I do think any attempt at all that brings awareness as to how dependent we are on energy can have positive effects. There are people who still think deforestation, pollution and depleting all our resources so they can have large amounts of 'stuff' is perfectly normal.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,460,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
While its not going to help reduce much carbon, I do think any attempt at all that brings awareness as to how dependent we are on energy can have positive effects. There are people who still think deforestation, pollution and depleting all our resources so they can have large amounts of 'stuff' is perfectly normal.
Yep, the're called consumers for a reason.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 PM

389 posts, read 488,149 times
I love the part where engineers at the utility company start sweating over how to maintain nominal voltage and not blow up every device their customers have plugged in. And, sure I'll participate I'll plug in a bunch of electric space heaters and wait for the clock to strike hippy and flip my mains breaker (with a wooden stick, of course).

Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 AM

18 posts, read 25,678 times
I agree! and hanks for sharing .

Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,454,649 times
It's symbolic to bring attention to a topic, not meant to reduce CO2 emissions for a 1 hour period. I would participate, if I even had my lights turned on at 8:30pm at this time of year anyways.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM

8,814 posts, read 7,719,752 times
The whole concept is dumb because Global Warming caused by CO2 is a total fiction. Supposedly the earth is warming, according to Al Gore, because C02 is constantly going up and this increases global temperatures. But even the advocates now agree that there has been no warming for 20 years. (and in fact it is cooling again). If global warming is real, then why is it snowing this morning in LUBBOCK, TX. APRIL, 10,2013?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM

2,068 posts, read 3,563,212 times
bring attention, bring awareness....what's the point of doing all of this if after that no one will do any thing apart from this. We all know the popular opinion on the subject, but yet again nothing more than "feel good, look at me, I'm saving the earth". Why don't they make at a challenge that actually has some kind of impact, and have everyone live by candle light for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or