U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM

13,736 posts, read 18,617,676 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of the neighbor I had who let his dog poop pile up and then he would burn it and yes I said burn it . We lived out in the country at the time so no ordinaces to stop him and for that very reason I would never ever have another clothes line in the country ever again .My neighbor on the side of me used to come out and would say ba jesus that man is burning his poop again . I would have to laugh I just never heard it put that way but it can be nasty burning it , why not just quit being lazy and pick it up and dipose of it in a trash bag please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,896,912 times
I pick up the poo from our yard and the neighbors leave theirs in the yard. I'm getting ready to report them so we'll see how the city feels about it. Seriously, anyone leaving their yard full of dog poo and not being bothered by it.............................

Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM

6,439 posts, read 4,524,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I hear you about the smell, it's disgusting - especially in the summer...

Dogs because of their owners should be banned from all human habitable areas, any found within those areas should be killed....
At least you can find and pick up a dog's poop in your yard and when out walking them. I never leave home without a poop bag and poop patrol is a daily event in my private, fenced backyard. My dog has no negative impact on my neighbors summer or winter.

On the other hand, I was working in my yard this morning and had the "pleasure" of digging up quite a few cat turds. Why are cats allowed to roam and poop all over my yard? The smell is disgusting, especially if they also spray on the bushes.

Cats, because of their owners, should be banned from all human habitable areas, any found within those areas should be killed.... Yeah, that sounded just as ridiculous as your statement about dogs.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,013,965 times
sure,
We scoop up around the kennel and the dog yard but with 10ac I'm not going to scoop it up everywhere, or maybe we should scoop up the deer , fox, coyote, rabbit, Woolf, bear, etc, etc poop too.

To be honest we don't even use one of those buckets in the ground.
We just chuck it out in to the woods.
The neighbors do the same.

We do use chicken poop or cow in the compost, we never use dog poop.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,431,669 times
With earth day coming it reminds me in living in Anchorage folks all get out in the city parks & trails, picking up trash from the wind-blown winter and yes, shoveling dog bleep from around university lake dog park.

If only everyone was responsible for his own bleep what a lovely world it would be.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,400,137 times
There are people with interesting opinions here, but has there ever been a bona fide study of public health before and after the pooper scooper laws? Understandably, the public does not want to step in it, but has the law made an appreciable difference on public health?

I am not interested in isolated incidents, but a real population study.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM

23,147 posts, read 27,952,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are people with interesting opinions here, but has there ever been a bona fide study of public health before and after the pooper scooper laws? Understandably, the public does not want to step in it, but has the law made an appreciable difference on public health?

I am not interested in isolated incidents, but a real population study.
Well, here is one done in Italy that demonstrates potentially hazardous microbes in dog feces, including multiple drug resistant bacteria.

Environmental Contamination by Dog

More on Giardia:

CDC - Giardia - Giardia and Pets

Pooper scooper laws:

Dog Poop in the news Pooper Scooper Laws

I am beginning to think the environmental impact of dog poo in urban areas is greater than I knew!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,013,965 times
Giardia:
The parasite lives in soil, food, and water. It may also be found on surfaces that have come into contact with animal or human waste.
You may become infected if you:
  • Are exposed to a family member with giardiasis
  • Drink water from lakes or streams where animals such as beavers and muskrats, or domestic animals such as sheep, have left their waste
  • Eat raw or undercooked food that has been contaminated
  • Have direct person-to-person contact in day care centers, long-term care homes, or nursing homes
  • Have unprotected anal sex
Travelers are at risk for giardiasis throughout the world. Campers and hikers are at risk if they drink untreated water from streams and lakes.

we better get rid of all of the wiled animals deer, mice, rats, racoons, squirrels, beavers etc etc & cattle, sheep, horses, etc etc... dogs are only a small part of it.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,732,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i know we're supposed to pick up after our dog poops to keep our waters from being contaminated by such waste. however, which is more green--picking up the poop in plastic bags (that tend not to be biodegradable) or leaving the poop alone to run into our waters?
any green advice for this?
We have our dog fenced in on our side yard in a super large area where she gets to run, poop and play and have the BEST yard ever over there without having to pick up any of her "remains". I think the biggest reason beyond polluting water for picking up dog poop in a plastic bag is so that others don't step in it. That seems to be the most annoying part of owning a pet other than water issues. Our water comes from a city source so it is, for the most part, clean when it comes thru the faucets.
As far as which is most green?? Kind of a tie I would say. Plastic isn't good for the environment that is a true statement yet dog poop will bio degrade eventually??? I vote for leaving the poop and advising folks to wear BOOTS..LOL

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM

15,244 posts, read 12,443,271 times
you think you have worries... try living in the Eastend of Glasgow where owners of dogs stand proudly allowing their dogs to sh-- the pavement where prams, kids bikes and shoes go through it if your not careful.. nothing is done, even though its a law that you have to pick it up.... if you report it you have to give your name to the police and why no one does... Im going out soon and will take some photos... charming eh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living