Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well, here is one done in Italy that demonstrates potentially hazardous microbes in dog feces, including multiple drug resistant bacteria.

Environmental Contamination by Dog

More on Giardia:

CDC - Giardia - Giardia and Pets

Pooper scooper laws:

Dog Poop in the news Pooper Scooper Laws

I am beginning to think the environmental impact of dog poo in urban areas is greater than I knew!
Yes, potentially hazardous, but is there any information of an actual study of populations, showing that there are actually fewer ill people after the pooper scooper laws came into existence?

I don't have a dog and I walk more than most people. I have, as they say 'no dog in this fight', but I am just curious because yes, animals poop in nature all the time and we evolved in a world of poop.

What are the stats, perhaps, in a country like India, where not only dogs are pooping all over, but cows and even people? I know India has a huge poor and diseased population, but are there studies anywhere of how poop in nature affects human populations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
We have our dog fenced in on our side yard in a super large area where she gets to run, poop and play and have the BEST yard ever over there without having to pick up any of her "remains". I think the biggest reason beyond polluting water for picking up dog poop in a plastic bag is so that others don't step in it. That seems to be the most annoying part of owning a pet other than water issues. Our water comes from a city source so it is, for the most part, clean when it comes thru the faucets.
As far as which is most green?? Kind of a tie I would say. Plastic isn't good for the environment that is a true statement yet dog poop will bio degrade eventually??? I vote for leaving the poop and advising folks to wear BOOTS..LOL
As long as you realize that you have fecal matter coming inside on every surface your dog is allowed to go every time your dog comes inside after he's been out "pooping, running and playing" in his own poop.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, potentially hazardous, but is there any information of an actual study of populations, showing that there are actually fewer ill people after the pooper scooper laws came into existence?

I don't have a dog and I walk more than most people. I have, as they say 'no dog in this fight', but I am just curious because yes, animals poop in nature all the time and we evolved in a world of poop.

What are the stats, perhaps, in a country like India, where not only dogs are pooping all over, but cows and even people? I know India has a huge poor and diseased population, but are there studies anywhere of how poop in nature affects human populations?
I think the laws in the US are more a function of esthetics than health, but if we no longer dump human waste in the streets --- and that does have an effect on health --- does it not make sense to remove pet waste, since it is so easy to do?

More about dog poo:

Pet Poo Impacts | Clear Choices Clean Water

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM

89 posts, read 135,947 times
Dog poo is great for making gunpowder. save it all.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I've taught my dog to poop inside the little bag I tie to his butt. Just like those horses in cities.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM

89 posts, read 135,947 times
Pic?

Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
I don't even get why this is a question. Do people really think it's OK to just leave their dog's waste anywhere?? How absolutely nasty and disgusting can you be??? Even if it's your own yard?? Don't you think that stench wafts into other people's space.

Here's a secret: No one wants to smell or see your dog's waste! Pick it up, pack it up, toss it out.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I'd like to see cat owners have to keep their outdoor cats on leashes and pick up THEIR poop. I've had way too many unpleasant surprises when gardening and unearthing a maggot-infest cat turd. I'm an entomologist by training but even I don't like seeing white wriggling fly maggots in cat feces. The last town I lived in had huge play areas with sand, and our tax money was spent hiring parks employees to sift the cat feces out of the areas EVERY MORNING. If my dog pooped in there and I didn't pick it up, I would be fined.

There's also a lot of horse manure on our trails. One pile of that creates more poop than my small dog does in two weeks. Again, they don't have to pick it up, either.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
^ We better hire someone to remove all of the poop from the forest and to remove any dead animals so we can control the maggot population.

Maybe ranchers should scoop up all of the cattle poop too?

We need to kill all of the deer to as they crap in all of the trails.
In the spring it all melts out the trails are a trail of poop.

In the city or in suburbia it is a good idea to scoop it up.

If you take a step back and look at the big picture dog-poop makes up a very small portion of all of the poop in the world.-

Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,655 times
Here's how they are handing it in Orlando. Hope our HOA gets on the ball. Dog poop DNA: Orlando condo's DNA tests will ID dog poop - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living