U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,347,490 times

Advertisements

This...

Boat filled with protected species hits coral reef

...does not in any way surprise me these days. One can only hope that the perpetrators of this massive outrage do the maximum possible prison time, but I imagine some big bux will change hands and the crew, and more properly, the ship's owners, will walk.

Imagine: this harmless creature, the pangolin or scaly anteater, "harvested" for it's supposedly healing qualities (make sure you open one of the photos and take a look-see!)

I wonder if it's intended recipients might not die from the literal savagery of this act! One can only hope, and even pray, for such a consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM

568 posts, read 822,593 times
I too saw this and it made me sick to my stomach..."humans" supposedly are superior but ignorance abounds and is "holy" perpetuated by the all mighty dollar. The earth and its resources cannot sustain the rape and plunder it now undergoing indefinetly. Everyone seems to think is is not going to happen or at least "not in my time" so let someone else take care it. Mother Nature and Karma will get their revenge.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 13,106,255 times
Humans pollute and sadly have hunted several species of animals to extinction or near extinction. the Earth is a tough cookie and as an example I would suggest watching the series Life after man. it would take only days before the process of healing started on land and in sea. 10,000 years after we are gone little traces would remain of us having ever been here. The seas would be saturated with marine life again, Almost where the sea could be walked on. Amazing. While I do not want to get all goth and wish everyone would disappear I must say Earth after just 20 years without people looks a hell of a lot more peaceful and clean then it is now.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,678,625 times
I'm a biologist and have several years working on conservation issues in California, where I used to live. I read a very depressing statistic back then that claimed that only 2% of Americans care deeply about environmental issues. I fault our education system for that. I wish that public schools would teach more classes like ecology (the relationships of organisms to their environment) and plain old natural history. Instead they teach cell biology, elementary genetics, etc., and stress microscopic processes than aren't evident in daily life, and are therefore less interesting to the average student, so people graduate without having any understanding of environmental issues - and worse, disparage those who do.

(Also, not to be pedantic, but it's "wreaking", not "wrecking" havoc.)

Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,804,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm a biologist and have several years working on conservation issues in California, where I used to live. I read a very depressing statistic back then that claimed that only 2% of Americans care deeply about environmental issues. I fault our education system for that. I wish that public schools would teach more classes like ecology (the relationships of organisms to their environment) and plain old natural history. Instead they teach cell biology, elementary genetics, etc., and stress microscopic processes than aren't evident in daily life, and are therefore less interesting to the average student, so people graduate without having any understanding of environmental issues - and worse, disparage those who do.

(Also, not to be pedantic, but it's "wreaking", not "wrecking" havoc.)
Seems like many average Americans do disparage people who care about the environment - they're just treehuggers. What's really important is making money, keeping that economy growing. Anything that gets in the way of economic growth is going to be branded unAmerican and its proponents ridiculed. And so the environmental movement remains on the fringes of American society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living