U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,677,944 times

Advertisements

I dislike the term "global warming" - "global climate change" is more accurate. Parts of Europe are expected to get colder due to shifts in the Gulf Stream caused by inflows of melting arctic ice.

Regardless of the cause, I witnessed a spectacular example of disappearing glaciers when I spent four moths in Peru and 1978 and the visited again with my son in 2000. I have a photo of a gorgeous, extremely thick blue glacier taken in 1978. That glacier is completely gone now. It was really shocking to see a brown mountaintop there just 22 years later, especially considering the thickness of the ice. Farmers in the coastal desert of Peru have relied on springtime and summer melts of some of these glaciers for generations to irrigate the dry soil. Now so much of the glaciers have melted (at times causing floods) that there is little water feeding this area for agricultural uses.

Melting in the Andes: Goodbye glaciers : Nature News & Comment

Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM

3,185 posts, read 2,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Will cause" tropical diseases to move north? They already have. The future is here.

In the past, the Russian government has said global warming would be an advantage, since it would turn Siberia into a temperate zone. How many people here are looking forward to moving to Siberia, or northern Canada, lol! But of course, that wouldn't pan out, because all the melting permafrost will turn the north into a huge swamp.
A swamp is more useful than tundra. People can drain swamps and they turn into wonderful farmland.

About the diseases, don't they have vaccines for them???

Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM

78,174 posts, read 70,090,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
About the diseases, don't they have vaccines for them???
Americans didn't used to have to vaccinate themselves against tropical diseases just to live at home. Looks like that day is approaching, though. There have been cases of dengue fever in Texas and Florida in the past, though the CDC hasn't gone so far as to say the disease has "gained a foothold in the US" yet. But there's no vaccine against it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-08-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,386,062 times
Quote:
No, not really. The film ran in movie houses nationwide a couple of months ago. I figured that on an enviro forum, there would be people who had seen it. Instead, mostly people hostile to the whole idea of the film are posting.
Probably, there aren't many people here interested in environmental propaganda, they like concrete facts instead....

Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Americans didn't used to have to vaccinate themselves against tropical diseases just to live at home. Looks like that day is approaching, though. There have been cases of dengue fever in Texas and Florida in the past, though the CDC hasn't gone so far as to say the disease has "gained a foothold in the US" yet. But there's no vaccine against it.
I sure wish you'd get your facts straight......

~ Dengue fever was endemic in the U.S. before World War II...

There have been cases of Dengue fever, LMAO. More FUD and fear mongering.... (BTW, it's the Dengue Virus not the Dengue Fever. The fever is a symptom of the virus)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_virus

~Sheesh~

Quote:
Thanks to efforts from Key West health officials to combat mosquitoes, dengue transmission in the area has slowed dramatically, says the CDC's Jorge Munoz-Jordan, who led the study. The CDC has identified only few dengue cases in Florida since 2010, he says. The Monroe County Health Department says it has not seen a confirmed case of dengue in Key West since November 2010.
Dengue Fever No Longer Just A Visitor To Florida Keys : Shots - Health News : NPR

The Dengue you are referring to is unique to Key West and from the above article:

Quote:
The viruses from Key West all shared a similar genetic code, which was different from dengue strains found elsewhere in the world. In contrast, viruses from mainland Florida looked very similar to dengue in Central America and probably hopped a ride to the U.S. with vacationers.
Attempting to tie this to melting glaciers, global warming and climate change is absolutely ludicrous.... (except to the bobbing heads of course)

If you want to tie it to something tie it to people who can't get their facts straight...

Last edited by plwhit; 05-08-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 04:46 PM

30,838 posts, read 31,685,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I sure wish you'd get your facts straight......

~ Dengue fever was endemic in the U.S. before World War II...

There have been cases of Dengue fever, LMAO. More FUD and fear mongering.... (BTW, it's the Dengue Virus not the Dengue Fever. The fever is a symptom of the virus)....

Dengue virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~Sheesh~

Dengue Fever No Longer Just A Visitor To Florida Keys : Shots - Health News : NPR

The Dengue you are referring to is unique to Key West and from the above article:

Attempting to tie this to melting glaciers, global warming and climate change is absolutely ludicrous.... (except to the bobbing heads of course)

If you want to tie it to something tie it to people who can't get their facts straight...
Please answer my question...Do you agree or disagree that the earth is warming? I ask because the topic of this thread has nothing at all to do with the causes of such warming.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Please answer my question...Do you agree or disagree that the earth is warming?
I guess you missed my reply in Post #57, I'll be happy to repost it for you........

Quote:
At this point in time the climate appears to be warming but (using a famous phrase used in another thread in this forum) more studies and research are needed to find out whats causing it. And as I said earlier this planet has gone through numerous warming and cooling periods and for the environmental FUD propaganda to only look back 150 - 200 years and blather on about mankind causing global warming stretches the limits of credibility...
Now if that's not clear enough for you I speak double-speak, technobabble, FUD and carbonazi too........

I know you just love to comment on things out of context and you just gave us another example...

I was not the one who brought up a virus in a global warming thread. Please go back and READ the OP and then Post #73...

I'll say it again slower for you:

It's
ludicrous
to
link
a
virus
to
global
warming

Quote:
I ask because the topic of this thread has nothing at all to do with the causes of such warming.
Lets reread the thread topic together, shall we?

Film Documents Global Warming's Effect On Glaciers

Do you really not understand what the above means?

Last edited by plwhit; 05-08-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,274,872 times
The climate record is based on ice cores retrieved from the Greenland and Antarctic ice caps and covers nearly 400,000 years. That data indicates repeated episodes of slow warming followed by a very sudden drop in temperature leading to returns of continental glaciations. This "natural" oscillation has lasted about 2.5 million years based on other evidence. This data also shows that the warm period following the last ice age has lasted substantially longer than previous episodes.

Some have postulated reason this warm period has lasted far longer than the others is the human influence on climate. The removal of forest and replacement by grass crop lands increased CO2 concentration in the atmosphere by degreasing the amount of Carbon trapped in trees and by near instant oxidation of the grass based crops. This has continued and has been accelerated by direct burning of carbon based fuels. The result is an "unnaturally" extended warm period. This is likely to continue until the CO2 levels drop.

I have concluded that this warm period has been created by human activities and we should be very glad is has.

FWIW - Forty years ago the glacier at the end of Turnagain Arm in Alaska was practically at the end of the road. We chiiled our drinks with glacial ice. Now that glacier is several miles up the valley. So one effect of the current warmth is the retreat of the glaciers.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM

7,507 posts, read 3,511,374 times
The climate is changing. It always has & always will. The actual debate is if we humans are the cause of this change? By all accounts greenhouse gases or Co2 emissions are the culprits. However, humans account for about .5% of all Co2 emissions. If every human on the planet stopped all fossil fuel consumption tomorrow we'd be looking at a negligible change. We can not stop climate change period. I'd rather spend all this money on adapting to the change & population planning, rather than on technologies that ultimately do us no good.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM

30,838 posts, read 31,685,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I guess you missed my reply in Post #57, I'll be happy to repost it for you........

Now if that's not clear enough for you I speak double-speak, technobabble, FUD and carbonazi too........

I know you just love to comment on things out of context and you just gave us another example...

I was not the one who brought up a virus in a global warming thread. Please go back and READ the OP and then Post #73...

I'll say it again slower for you:

It's
ludicrous
to
link
a
virus
to
global
warming

Lets reread the thread topic together, shall we?

Film Documents Global Warming's Effect On Glaciers

Do you really not understand what the above means?
I did not say that warming caused any virus... What I said was that as the climate warms diseases now found mainly in the tropics would move north...It's not my problem if you can't wrap your head around that fact....It is pretty ironic and hypocritical that you attempt to chastise me for being off topic, when you started the diversion and all I've done is tried to correct your errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living