U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM

10,065 posts, read 13,955,197 times

Advertisements

No because I don't believe in climate change. The Sun dictates the weather not my car emissions. Besides, what's the point when China is a toxic dump that is doing little to solve their blatant pollution problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM

6,509 posts, read 6,430,643 times
I buy 50% of my electricity from renewable energy. That's the correct preparation. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM

2,867 posts, read 2,975,581 times
Here is an interesting news story relating to that theme:

Spain braces for 'coldest summer in 200 years' - The Local

I agree that if we in the northern hemisphere are facing this we need to brace ourselves. Sounds like it is a normal cycle that repeats itself over time.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM

8,671 posts, read 7,639,349 times
After much studying, and ignoring the main stream media, I am making plans based on climate change. I figure it will get colder, so I am planning my retirement location in the southern part of the USA.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM

15,571 posts, read 24,909,167 times
I think the Earth is just doing what the Earth does, and that is change. The Earth is constantly changing, and we cannot stop it.

I too, do not believe our car emissions or co2 BS is changing the temperatures of Earth. I also do not believe in Global warming, is that the same thing???

the earth has been around for billions of years doing it's thing.
we are the ones in the way.

No, I am not doing anything for the climate change, well, maybe opening the window i can do.....

Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 PM

836 posts, read 1,620,103 times
Again people, this isn't a thread about what the Earth is or isn't doing, its a thread about any preparations you've made to climate change (whether its man made or not). HELLO.

Whether you think it exists or not, would you do anything to stabilize your house from strong winds? What about the rising costs of utilities? Would you start collecting rainwater? Install a woodstove? Attempt some form of passive solar? Even building an outside oven/stove so you could cook food? Would you start a garden? Save seeds? Anything? I was actually hoping for anyone who could see past the debate to share some good information. I am in Michigan and summer's are getting darn hot. This winter dragged on...yet last winter we hardly had a winter. Let's say it costs me about an average of $250 to heat or cool my home per month. That's $3000/year (not including inflation), and that is $90,000 for 30 years. Does anyone really want to keep paying that for the rest of their lives? I don't. Which is why I'm asking this question. Anyone?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 PM

So let me answer your question directly. I have made no preparations because the one I really want is unaffordable/unattainable. That would be an ICF, insulated concrete formation, house which is pretty much weather proof, highest energy efficiency, you name it.

Now if I sell my house, which I will not spend any money on upgrading, and buy a new place Meridian homes in my area has homes with spray foam insulation and low e windows.

But if you follow the news natural gas, which I use to heat, is going to tank in price with all of this fracking going on.

And wood burning is just about banned in Denver metro because of air pollution. Oh and it's illegal to collect rainwater.

That about cover it?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM

836 posts, read 1,620,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
So let me answer your question directly. I have made no preparations because the one I really want is unaffordable/unattainable. That would be an ICF, insulated concrete formation, house which is pretty much weather proof, highest energy efficiency, you name it.

Now if I sell my house, which I will not spend any money on upgrading, and buy a new place Meridian homes in my area has homes with spray foam insulation and low e windows.

But if you follow the news natural gas, which I use to heat, is going to tank in price with all of this fracking going on.

And wood burning is just about banned in Denver metro because of air pollution. Oh and it's illegal to collect rainwater.

That about cover it?
Not sure why you're even answering to this thread? But ok. I wish I could have ICF too....

Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM

I was just trying to address your questions as direct as possible and point out that a number of the things you mention aren't even possible to all. ICF is as much about storm/weather proof as it is energy efficient.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,837,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
Just curious, is anyone doing anything to prepare for predicted weather? They say that carbon has now reached 400 ppm (and growing). Seems the second year in a row where we didn't have much of a spring (although better than last year)...I dream of buying land and building a small home, but it seems nearly impossible to do because of 'rules' and regulations
Preparing for weather predictions is an effort in futility, is counter productive and does more harm than good. This might seem alarming but think it through. When you prepare for the worst of times that usually involves stockpiling resources, perhaps relocating or obtaining alternate living sites and so on. Lets take the stockpiling concern first. While stockpiling might be better associated with "preppers" is can apply to those preparing for weather predictions. When you stockpile resources you most likely not use those supplies, considering past weather predictions being so incorrect and unreliable. Say you stockpile food resources that have a shelf life of even 5 years. What happens if those 5 years go by and you didn't need them? Are you going to start using them and rotate them out and stockpile new food supplies? Highly unlikely because as the older stockpiled food reaches shelf life dates you 'd need to being consuming them too. That routine would need to continue unless you stockpiled only enough for a short period of time, say a month. Even so, you would go through period where you were consuming older stockpiles to make room or the new. That is the simple scenario but it allows for illustration and example.

So, by now, there should be quite a few people eating stockpiled end of shelf life food right? Anyone want to bet that doesn't happen and that most of that food goes to waste? Either that or the diets of all the people who stockpile food radically changed. Surely people were preparing for weather predictions 5 years ago.

Then lets consider the amount of energy and the carbon output it takes to properly prepare food reserves for long term storage. Have you ever seen a freeze dried food preservation business in operation? The amount of energy it takes to prepare food for long term storage is far out of proportion to the energy or benefit you obtain from it. Most people preparing for weather predictions or other calamities aren't storing jerky made the old fashioned way your know. The point is that the very act of stockpiling food resources creates more problems than it solves.

So ask your friends or those you know that stockpile food for preparation what they are eating tonight? I bet it isn't freeze dried anything or reconstituted meat or anything remotely similar. No matter what storage formula and schedule you devise, the stockpile rotation catches up to you and you either have to eat a lot of stockpiled food exclusively or dump it. Then consider that by stockpiling you are helping to create the very weather changes you are concerned about.

Then we have the secondary or change in primary living locations. If a secondary or backup location is the idea, think about the resources, most involving huge amount of carbon emissions and energy use it takes to maintain it. You are going to improve the location right? You will have to maintain it as well correct? Now you'll be using energy and producing far more carbon emissions than others. So factor your current carbon footprint by 2 at a minimum because you'll travel to and from that backup location so the 2 times amount is probably conservative.

Next is the change in primary living location. How much energy and other resources will be expended to locate, acquire and relocate? Remember, this is additional to normal living because the change is because you are preparing for something and wouldn't otherwise have the reason to do it.

Now consider all of this if the weather predictions aren't realized or as is almost always the case, the predictions bear little resemblance to what actually happens. Predictions 20 years ago often presented doom for the human race because by now all of California was supposed to be in the Pacific, major calamities involving the weather were supposed to come around from super tornadoes that sweep across the USA to dust and ash completely obliterating the sunshine for most of the planet. Strange how every year it is always 20 more years.

Don't take all this as advocating doing nothing. Far from it. However, the kind of preparation that will best improve your life or maintain in the future in most circumstances isn't stockpiling anything other than knowledge and skills. Knowledge to use in the identification of resources in a changing world and skills that allow you to use those resources in the new and better ways needed.

All of this probably applies more to "preppers" but it does apply to those preparing for any situation including weather predictions who stockpile or change or maintain backup living situations.

We can apply this in a very clear way to those that stockpile ammunition. Think that one through too. When you have more ammunition than you can move without drawing attention to yourself, you have too much. What good does it do to sit on tens of thousands of rounds when you are stuck there defending it? First, you can't defend it because unless you are in a bunker, anyone wanting it is going to take it from you and then take everything else too. If you have the bunker or "site" you are a sitting duck, ask the French. Bunkers or "sites" are where the stupid go to be eliminated by others. Underground? You have an air pipe that runs for miles so no one can find it right? Yup, right until someone miles away stumbles upon it and decides to put their outhouse on top of it. Think about it. For nearly every way a "prepper" prepares, it takes about 1 minute to figure out it really doesn't work or can easily be defeated or taken by others, even if you sit on top of half a million rounds of ammunition. Ammunition doesn't solve problems, ask the Russians in Afghanistan or the Americans in Korea. Contrary to popular sayings, you cannot kill them all and if only one gets you after you have gotten a thousand, what does it matter?

Back to weather though. They key to preparing for those predictions is adaptation as situations warrant. The weather calamity will never hit like the prediction says, when the prediction says it will or in the way the prediction say it will. Take all the weather predictions and see how accurate they are. Those making the predictions can't look outside to check the sky much less predict something a month, year or decades in the future. They can't even get trends right. You want proof?

Take the predictions of water shortages. What happened? People used less water. The result, the price for water went up in those areas where people used less. If predictions are used to change the way people "prepare" for them, the result is that the prediction becomes the cause of increased energy use and the increase of the carbon footprint of everyone. We have seen that happen. Just look at the resources put into developing electric cars because of predictions. Basically they are a failed experiment and the resources expended and increased carbon footprint to date far outweigh any benefits realized. Wait around a little while and see what happens when Eon Musk gets done with you. You think Madoff had something going? What is going on now with solar makes that look like a monopoly and checkers tournament.

Some more on preparing for weather predictions. Take gray water for example. All the rage these days. So what happens when most people have a gray water system in place? Take the average municipality. What do you think happens when there is no gray water to flush out the black water waste through the system? You really think that 1 gallon of water you flush is enough to maintain a sewer system? Think again. It is the gray water that goes down in gallons that does that job. That laundry water? Gallons at one time. Remove that and what will we have? Huge increases in sewer maintenance costs no one told anyone about but that every water treatment system operator knows about.

Knowledge and skills allowing you to adapt are the best preparation tools you can have. Those two things give you an exponentially better future in the face of changing weather than anyone running around changing where they live, stockpiling resources or failing to look outside to see what is going on instead of watching some TV show or listening to the radio or reading some online blog predicting something that is unlikely to happen the way it is presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living