U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,579,170 times

Advertisements

I live in the desert, so water is always an issue. I already have a pool, but fill it with the run-off from a water guzzling swamp cooler. I feel like we flush a lot of non consumable, but decent water down the drain. So I have been looking into ways to recapture gray water from the washer and maybe the shower and use it on our landscaping. From what I have read, you can use it just about anywhere except vegetable gardens. Even fruit trees are okay. I have grand plans to make as much of my modest one-third acre edible, which will include fruit and nut trees along with some grass.

Anyone with experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,928,445 times
My parents have a smallish farm and they reuse gray water for many things. They have a shallow dug well, so they have to cut corners on water consumption wherever they can. They have found that how well the fruit trees, grass and even some of the livestock do is based on what is in the gray water. All natural laundry soap (check the internet) as well as dish soap, shampoo, body wash, etc... is the key to reusing gray water. The bit of ick off your body and dishes won't matter as long as you aren't adding a bunch of caustic ingredients from soap and detergents.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM

I was going to start making my own laundry soap and thought that using the gray water from the washing machine would be a natural first step.

How do your parents collect it? I have seen everything from as basic as using buckets to complicated collection and filtration systems.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,928,445 times
The have a water tank (I'm sure you've seen them...looks like a short squat mushroom shape) that gets fed from simple plastic piping and rain gutters. The tank sits a bit downhill from the house so the flow is natural. They do not filter the water. At the base of the tank is a faucet that they connect a low pressure small pump and then a hose to. That gets the water back uphill to the garden / orchard / etc...

Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,118,808 times
My ex waters his fruit trees and the flowerbeds with the water from the washing machine. He just has a long hose attached and moves it around.

If you want to get fancy, you could set up a tank that would allow any solids to settle on the bottom and the 'clean' water would flow from the top.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM

9,154 posts, read 16,562,613 times
In my part of the country, watering the lawn just means mowing more frequently so I don't have much interest in trapping gray water for that purpose. I would like to use gray water for the toilet, though.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,382,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I live in the desert, so water is always an issue. I already have a pool, but fill it with the run-off from a water guzzling swamp cooler. I feel like we flush a lot of non consumable, but decent water down the drain. So I have been looking into ways to recapture gray water from the washer and maybe the shower and use it on our landscaping. From what I have read, you can use it just about anywhere except vegetable gardens. Even fruit trees are okay. I have grand plans to make as much of my modest one-third acre edible, which will include fruit and nut trees along with some grass.

Anyone with experience with this?
I read a while back that gray water from the washing machine makes excellent water for landscaping. First, I would hope that you've got a HE washer, so that you're not using much water at all. My washer is in the basement, so I'm not sure I could use the water, unless i emptied it into a barrel in the basement and then ran a hose outside.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM

10,205 posts, read 6,170,116 times
You can take a shower with a bucket on the floor. You'd be amazed at how much water you can collect and water your plants with. Those oblong shapped ones catch the most. Same with the dish sink. Many people will fill a cup up with water after use to aid in cleaning it later. You can save this water for indoor or outdoor plant watering. I see the op may be looking for a plumbing solution though, which would be cool.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 PM

f.2

You and I live in the same area so you get the importance of conservation here.

Because of change in job, I'm actually going to be moving out of state soon. So my little one-third acre is going to be going up for sale.

I would love to build my own home someday. If I ever get to, I will incorporate all kinds of green technology and reusing grey water will be one of them. It's so silly how much we waste.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 PM

10,205 posts, read 6,170,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
f.2

You and I live in the same area so you get the importance of conservation here.

Because of change in job, I'm actually going to be moving out of state soon. So my little one-third acre is going to be going up for sale.

I would love to build my own home someday. If I ever get to, I will incorporate all kinds of green technology and reusing grey water will be one of them. It's so silly how much we waste.
Water waste - I hear you loud and clear. Best of luck to you in your new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living