U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,326,278 times

Advertisements

Made one discovery. I don't like the taste of vegan mayonnaise substitute at all. Bought just a small bottle, but plan to use it up. Solution? Mix a fair amount of habanero pepper sauce in. It is just amazing how much that sauce improves any mayonnaise!!!

A friend of mine in Florida said all vegan stuff was bad. I think what he meant was things like Tofurky and soy milk didn't appeal to him. I think they all tend to be acquired tastes. But there are recipes you can make at home like grape leaves and falafel that taste better than just about anything I can imagine. Vegan stuff often includes ingredients meant to affect stability or mouth feel. And whatever improvement results is offset by how the taste buds and palate react. Unfortunately, anti-vegetarian people can portray vegan diet as typified by these products, not by the wonderful stuff like curry and Middle Eastern things like tabouli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Chili peppers are a partial answer to reducing meat. It is surprising to me how much improvement you can give to any vegetable mix with some pepper sauce.l

Old 08-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Gardenburger,fried in olive oil, a thick beefsteak tomato slice, a fresh lettuce leaf, honey mustard, and whole wheat buns makes a FANTASTIC sandwich!!! Made one this morning. As satisfying a sandwich as I've had in my 68 years.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM

208 posts, read 279,693 times
Nothing like the "real" thing!
In-N-Out Burger

Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
Nothing like the "real" thing!
In-N-Out Burger
Bleah.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,134,179 times
Not that I ever was a regular meat eater but I've cut my meat consumption by about 50% in the last couple of years. I eat more fruits, vegetables and meatless dishes. Steak dinners are a no-no for me but I will have an occasional carne asada burrito stuffed with diced tomatoes, diced grilled onions and diced avocado in a wheat tortilla. I don't trust fast food hamburgers anymore. Who knows what they put into our meat? I'll play it safe.

-Cheers.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Hey, there's no beef dinner I wouldn't eat. But I just don't consider it an everyday thing. I wouldn't eat chicken, fish, pork, turkey everyday, so why should I make beef an every day thing? Because I space it out, I don't mind paying a premium for the healthiest stuff. A lot of people settle for dubious meat to eat it more. To me, that's foolish. If you don't make it a daily thing, you (or most of you) can afford the best, healthiest product on the market. Every veggie meal I eat is savings for a higher quality beef dinner. I considered swearing off meat years ago, but in the end, I just didn't see the religious thing that some people see. No one I follow philosophically ever said to live on plants, so I won't. I don't know WHAT the vegans do with the biblical verse that says all of God's creations are good for those with a spiritual heart.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM

572 posts, read 180,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I remember a fitness trainer at a gym I used years ago. He was telling a client that most of the protein that they ate went down the toilet. After a certain number of grams, the body just turns it into crap.
Protein doesn't turn to crap after a certain number of grams, at least not literally crap. It breaks down into glucose and individual aminos. The aminos are used for different functions in the body. The excess go through a process called deamination then eventually end up excreted in urine, not in stools.

The thing with protein is that there is no magic formula for each person. The person's size, body fat percentage, physical activity levels, and hormonal balance play a big role in how much protein they can digest and actually use. For example, a 250 pound athlete that works out strenuously for 8-10 hours per week is going to use way more than a 120 pound secretary. A person doing 8-10 hours of manual labor per day is going to use a lot more than a person working a desk job who's main activity is walking to another office 10 feet away.
More importantly, the source of the protein will impact how much gets used vs. how much does not. For example, a whey protein shake is highly digestible and is broken down and processed VERY quickly by the body. A ribeye steak is much slower in being broken down as the aminos are locked up in the meat and require more time to digest. Point being, a person could have a 50g whey shake or a ribeye that contains 50g of protein. Their personal needs that are immediate will have an impact on both that is relatively equal, but their upcoming activity will make a big difference on how much gets used.

While its not really hard to take in more protein than a a person actually needs, the source and timing play a big role in how much is actually used.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:35 PM

In my personal experience, if you eat a one pound steak, you will have a crap that is a major fraction of a pound. Pure protein in, crap out. You can cite what should be the metabolism all you want. But experience has confirmed what I heard the guy say. Of course, part of it is what your protein demand is. People who really work their muscle tissue hard on alternate days are going to use fractionally more for tissue repair. But even that just doesn't require the massive amounts people want to consider necessary. Nor does it require "meat every day". You see those gigantic football line men. A lot of them didn't have the money for huge steaks in their youth. But it doesn't matter. Greens are full of protein too.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM

Here's commentary on protein need:

Quote:
Protein is in every living cell in the body. Our bodies need protein from the foods we eat to build and maintain bones, muscles and skin. We get proteins in our diet from meat, dairy products, nuts and certain grains and beans. Proteins from meat and other animal products are complete proteins. This means they supply all of the amino acids the body can't make on its own. Plant proteins are incomplete. You must combine them to get all of the amino acids your body needs.
It is important to get enough dietary protein. You need to eat protein every day, because your body doesn't store it the way it stores fats or carbohydrates. The average person needs 50 to 65 grams of protein each day. This is the amount in four ounces of meat plus a cup of cottage cheese.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dietaryproteins.html

The bottom line: Meat is only the beginning of a list of high quality protein sources. You may need to eat several every day, but not so much of any of them, and definitely not meat. Our beef growers have really done a bangup job of brainwashing the population into thinking eat red meat or wither away. Truth is that the Neanderthal followed that prescription and became extinct. Because they depended so completely on large game animals and couldn't adapt to the disappearance of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living