U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
 
5,609 posts, read 8,522,048 times
Reputation: 7684

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Can you explain yourself a little better here?

Because I am apparently not the only one trying to figure out what your point is. Much less what waterless water is, and why we should avoid water.

That was a very confusing post.
It's an analogy people

I thought it was quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Reputation: 10573
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
If you want to know what you actually digest vs crap out, eat a big steak and some corn on the cob. Take a quick peek when you go to the bathroom the next couple of days. Do you see anything recognizable in the toilet? Of course. You see corn, not steak.
It's always strange to me to hear people with various dietary biases rant about the digestibility of meat when my own body says they're just making stuff up.

Recently PBS ran a BBC program with Michael Mosley called "Eat, Fast and Longer" in which he ate a dinner of Steak Frites, complete with french fries and a green salad, then swallowed a small video camera that transmitted a photo tour of the progress of the meal through his digestive system. It was fascinating to watch how rapidly the steak broke down in the stomach, while the green lettuce just danced around unchanged.

The reason corn kernels show up in your stool is that they're one of the foods from plants that does not break down easily in the human gut. They need to be broken down by long cooking, or by mechanical milling or grinding to break down the cellulose matrix that holds their nutrients.

There are good arguments, both environmental and health-based, for eating less meat than the average American eats today. But since our bodies evolved around 3 1/2 million years of meat eating I see no value in exhorting people to give up meat based on spurious health claims from the fringes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 AM
 
155 posts, read 301,260 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
???
What on earth is a drink with no water in it? I have no idea what you're talking about. I suppose you could drink mercury, but I wouldn't recommend it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Can you explain yourself a little better here?

Because I am apparently not the only one trying to figure out what your point is. Much less what waterless water is, and why we should avoid water.

That was a very confusing post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
It's an analogy people

I thought it was quite good.
- Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Thanks for the compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Federal Way, WA
530 posts, read 175,365 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Ha. If I eat a "big steak", nothing tends to come out. The fluid all gets sucked out, and there's this enormous stone-like thing sitting in there, unwilling to move. I've learned to sharply restrict meat protein. Fish is OK, but things like turkey and beef, unless swallowed with a ton of fiber, is guaranteed constipation.
All foods don't settle well with everyone. For people who feel like they ate a brick when they eat meat, don't eat it if you don't like it and it doesn't settle well with you. I have a friend that really likes the taste of steak, but it leaves her feeling rough for a day or 2, so she doesn't eat beef at all. Same thing with chicken, but not as bad, she can eat it if her options are too limited and she won't get another chance to eat for a long time. Other than that, she eats fish occasionally, eggs less often than fish, and is vegetarian otherwise. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM
 
1,176 posts, read 2,031,784 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Too bad for all he meat haters that there have been studies done on people who live in artic environments with little BUT meat.... And because people claimed "they must be special" they also studied "white men" living there too... Without generational adaptation.


They were perfectly healthy.


The problem is agrabusiness and all the unnatural concoctions we and the animals are fed.
NOT THE MEAT!
I've lived as a strict carnivore for a period a little over 18 months. I've never felt better and (forgive me for how much information you are about to receive) I've never, ever had better poops.

It's funny how you start to look at things as food that you never did before. Raw liver, which is rich in vitamin C, makes your mouth water and organ meats become very attractive. I ate eyeballs and liked them.

I've often been tempted to try a vegan diet just so I can contrast the two extremes, but I'm just not sure I want to subject myself to that. Carbs aren't really my thing and never have been. I've always been all about the fat and protein.

I'm not even sure it's the concoctions that the meat is injected with. I think it's more about living a sedentary lifestyle that's barely above your basal metabolic rate, but eating like a pregnant powerlifter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,823,145 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I've lived as a strict carnivore for a period a little over 18 months. I've never felt better and (forgive me for how much information you are about to receive) I've never, ever had better poops.

It's funny how you start to look at things as food that you never did before. Raw liver, which is rich in vitamin C, makes your mouth water and organ meats become very attractive. I ate eyeballs and liked them.

I've often been tempted to try a vegan diet just so I can contrast the two extremes, but I'm just not sure I want to subject myself to that. Carbs aren't really my thing and never have been. I've always been all about the fat and protein.

I'm not even sure it's the concoctions that the meat is injected with. I think it's more about living a sedentary lifestyle that's barely above your basal metabolic rate, but eating like a pregnant powerlifter.
Are you a wolf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM
 
1,176 posts, read 2,031,784 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Are you a wolf?
I'm a bipedal ape with opposable thumbs (which is probably the single most important trait to the establishment of our civilization, when you think about it). Interestingly, however, those of my genus and species share several traits and characteristics with wolves. Notably, humans scratching out an existence in a wild state are actually obligate predators. There isn't an ecosystem on this planet that will support humans in any number on foraged vegetation or mast through four seasons. A natural human has to kill or scavenge to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
 
34,242 posts, read 41,261,292 times
Reputation: 29719
I'm ok with eating a lot of cooked meat but raw meat can contain much in the way of harmful bacteria, do you ever worry about this aspect of your diet? what raw meats if any do you avoid because of the potential for bacterial contamination?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM
 
1,176 posts, read 2,031,784 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm ok with eating a lot of cooked meat but raw meat can contain much in the way of harmful bacteria, do you ever worry about this aspect of your diet? what raw meats if any do you avoid because of the potential for bacterial contamination?..
If you just killed it, most meat is perfectly safe to eat. The harmful bacteria of which you speak is due to the fact that the hamburger meat that you are pressing into patties from the supermarket may have been dead for a month or more and it has had lots and lots of different hands on it. Nasty stuff if you ask me. It may sound silly, but any creature with a cloven hoof that also chews the cud will be safe to eat raw unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Never eat bear raw. Never eat swine raw. Never eat horse raw. Never eat any canid or feline raw. You can eat most pinnipeds.

Anyway, that's all beside the point because we cooked about 99% of our meat at the time and since my return to civilization I have resumed my historical diet. It's just that over a fresh kill a bite of liver is actually a good idea for general health… When you're a carnivore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,823,145 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I'm a bipedal ape with opposable thumbs (which is probably the single most important trait to the establishment of our civilization, when you think about it). Interestingly, however, those of my genus and species share several traits and characteristics with wolves. Notably, humans scratching out an existence in a wild state are actually obligate predators. There isn't an ecosystem on this planet that will support humans in any number on foraged vegetation or mast through four seasons. A natural human has to kill or scavenge to live.
A carnivore only eats meat. I was asking if you were a wolf because wolves are carnivores.

Most modern humans are omnivores, the rest being herbivores. I assume that when you said that you were a carnivore you were either joking, you were confused as to what a carnivore was, or you were actually a wolf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top