Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times

Advertisements

Or maybe I should say "every meal?" I know people get all bent out of shape when someone says everyone should go vegetarian (or, worse yet, vegan). But my question is "why is every meal a meat meal?" I remember a fitness trainer at a gym I used years ago. He was telling a client that most of the protein that they ate went down the toilet. After a certain number of grams, the body just turns it into crap. And that means we spend thousands of dollars to make something we have to flush. Why? Because we haven't a clue how to eat a meal not containing meat. It is commercial brainwashing. Every industry in the food chain expects better profit with a meat item. So you never see anything vegetarian pushed.

Me, I'll never give up meat. I know all that the vegans tell me, but I feel I know better. But I've worked hard to deprogram myself from what industry has tried to propagandize. Food that has no meat has both taste and value. I could run down an endless list, but one of my favorites are spinach pies as made in Greece and Lebanon. Better tasting than a burger, not a speck of meat. Second, would be falafel. To me, the 3-meal meat diet is just a "safe diet" for people who fear experimentation. Though even they turn vegetarian at snack time with chips and popcorn.

So, my thought is that one or two meals a week should have no meat. Could be pancakes and syrup. Could be spinach lasagne. The options are endless. Most of the fasting religions promote it. I don't see why religion has to be involved. Stop equating beef with "food". It is better for internal and external environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
We don't have meat at every meal and never have and we are not even close to vegetarian let alone vegan. I've never read anywhere that says after so much protein the body does not process it. Where is the documentation to back up that statement? Even when I was a child we did not have meat at every meal and I honestly do not know one person who does so I am really not sure where you are getting your information.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Not sure what the point of this thread is - is it to simply share your revelation that you can eat a couple of meatless meals per week? Do you know people in the meat industry that would challenge that or something?

I think most people figure out what works for them.

I eat poultry a couple of times a week - the rest of the meals I make up for any protein deficiencies eating cheese or peanut butter.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
People eat what they are comfortable with. A well rounded meal used to always incorporate meat. It is only a recent development that meat has been omitted. For some people that works out well, for others it may not, but I don't see a problem with it either way. I don't tend to care much about what others eat, just what my family and I eat.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Even as a child in the middle of farm country in the Midwest we didn't eat meat every meal. Oatmeal for breakfast, cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch, chicken and dumplings for dinner. So I never developed any sense that meat was a requirement for a meal to be complete. But I do know people who have fallen into the 3-meats-a-day pattern simply because it is so darned easy to do in mainstream America. There are more meat choices than non-meat choices at Mickey D's and Burger King and the rest of the popular places where people go to eat. I think it's less a choice than a rut they fall into.

Mark Bittman, longtime food writer for the New York Times, has developed a new approach to combat this kind of unconscious or "default" meat eating, while reducing total meat intake, and he calls it VB6, or Vegan Before 6, the title of a new book he has recently published.

Mark Bittman Talks 'Vegan Before 6'

His claim is that by eating only vegan foods before 6 pm, then whatever you choose for the evening meal, you'll be healthier, and you'll lose weight and your diet will be healthier for the environment, without stress or strain.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We don't have meat at every meal and never have and we are not even close to vegetarian let alone vegan. I've never read anywhere that says after so much protein the body does not process it. Where is the documentation to back up that statement? Even when I was a child we did not have meat at every meal and I honestly do not know one person who does so I am really not sure where you are getting your information.
My "documentation" is that a body builder wanted advice on adding protein to bulk up and the coach said more wouldn't be better. You can always take the trouble to go find out things. The body only needs a given amount of ANY nutrient. Too much fat or carbohydrate and you accumulate fat. More protein than necessary for repair and other uses and what do you suppose the body will do with it? Seriously. Just think about it.

One final comment: Just because you happen to know nothing about something doesn't really tell much about whether it is so. Lots of people make no effort to find out things unless its an emergency. I do know that your kidneys suffer from too much protein. And your bones can demineralize.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 AM

Here's the CDC on protein: Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Protein | DNPAO | CDC

An adult man needs, on average, 56 grams of protein. A 4 oz burger has 20 g. So if you ate only ground beef, with no protein from any other source, you'd need 12 oz of burger. If you had a couple eggs, you'd need less. And of course wheat products and greens also have protein. Steaks have a lot more protein per oz.

4 ounces is 112 grams. So 92 grams of a burger are not protein. Some are fat, but some are just fiber. You'll digest the fat and protein, but we all know where the fiber goes. It isn't fiber like bran. It is simply everything but the amino acids. Upshot is that if you eat more than you actually need, the excess amino acid leaves in No. 1 and the rest in No. 2. Though some excess could be made fat or sugar, provided you didn't already have too much of either of those.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We always have meat of fish for dinner, but many times not for breakfast or lunch.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Or maybe I should say "every meal?" I know people get all bent out of shape when someone says everyone should go vegetarian (or, worse yet, vegan). But my question is "why is every meal a meat meal?" I remember a fitness trainer at a gym I used years ago. He was telling a client that most of the protein that they ate went down the toilet. After a certain number of grams, the body just turns it into crap. And that means we spend thousands of dollars to make something we have to flush. Why? Because we haven't a clue how to eat a meal not containing meat. It is commercial brainwashing. Every industry in the food chain expects better profit with a meat item. So you never see anything vegetarian pushed.

Me, I'll never give up meat. I know all that the vegans tell me, but I feel I know better. But I've worked hard to deprogram myself from what industry has tried to propagandize. Food that has no meat has both taste and value. I could run down an endless list, but one of my favorites are spinach pies as made in Greece and Lebanon. Better tasting than a burger, not a speck of meat. Second, would be falafel. To me, the 3-meal meat diet is just a "safe diet" for people who fear experimentation. Though even they turn vegetarian at snack time with chips and popcorn.

So, my thought is that one or two meals a week should have no meat. Could be pancakes and syrup. Could be spinach lasagne. The options are endless. Most of the fasting religions promote it. I don't see why religion has to be involved. Stop equating beef with "food". It is better for internal and external environments.
When I'm trying to lose weight I'll eat about six ounces of venison, moose or wild pork at breakfast (grass-fed beef is almost as good if you don't have the ability to feed yourself) along with half of an avocado. Starting the day with a large bolus of high-quality protein and some slow-absorbing fat means that I don't feel the urge to snack and smaller meals are more satisfying for lunch and dinner. Lunch may be exclusively fruit or something like sushi. Dinner is usually a salad with protein, whether that is poultry, red meat or something like almonds or pecans.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
It's said that Americans have the most expensive urine in the world. The average American eats more meat than is necessary and the kidneys filter out all the excess protein and it just goes down the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living