Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Not unless they drop prices. 9.75/hr and 90per day? Enterprise can get you a car from 20-50 per day.

They have a decent market but won't change the game by any means at this point. If there is massive scale growth to the point it exceeds taxi-like in presence and availibility, then a difference will be felt.

I agree it is ingrained in our culture. But it is also embedded in....no rather it is our infrastructure. There would have to be either some major improvements to public transportation and bike routes from today's levels or major infrastructure overhaul (which is a lot less likely).
Yet they'll add more lanes at the drop of a hat under the false notion it will some how improve traffic flow.
It seems like countries tend to be built along their lines of transport.
Wherever goods tended to move, that's where civilization tended to sprout up.
Waterways, horse-trails, railroads, and now freeways running all over the place.

As far as the car thing goes, I'm definitely going to see about leasing.
I'm not into putting useless and loud modifications/accessories onto vehicles and apart from road-trips every once a month, I don't see much mileage over the course of a year.

And while renting when needed is an option I like, it's a little hard when there's only an Enterprise that isn't open on weekends/past-5 in town.
Miss having Budget, Hertz, Avis, etc around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Again, using ones kids as a crutch.
I'm finding that these threads and arguing about it in public are becoming a one-sided battle.
All sorts of excuses for needing to drive every day and no way to get around it.

The car-kkkulture has been pretty much ingrained into almost the entire populations skulls.

Some say "go see a therapist" about this, but then I'll probably get kicked out of there for starting an argument about car use as well.

Guess I'm pretty much doomed
No one cares what method of transportation you choose for yourself. Ride a bike or go-cart or whatever mode of transportation you prefer. It's your choice and you shouldn't let anyone influence it. If you allowed yourself to be influenced and now regret it, that's on you not anyone else.

Bottom line - If you don't want a car, don't own one. Just don't attempt to push your choice on others. Do them the same courtesy you expect and don't question their preferences or attempt to shame them into living car free.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
IMO Zipcar and Car2Go are going to make a big dent in car ownership in the city.
Those are great services. If you live in a city with good public transportation, ZipCar and rail service, it makes being car free attractive. Unfortunately, that describes very few cities in the US.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Those are great services. If you live in a city with good public transportation, ZipCar and rail service, it makes being car free attractive. Unfortunately, that describes very few cities in the US.
That is because so few cities have citizens who demand options. It will happen there but more slowly. There are many lemming out there blindly following the two car garage suburban lifestyle no matter how sterile it is.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I live within a mile or two of everywhere I need to go on a regular basis, so when gas went above $1.50, I said I would wait until it went back down to that level. Now I am not sure if my car still runs!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That is because so few cities have citizens who demand options. It will happen there but more slowly. There are many lemming out there blindly following the two car garage suburban lifestyle no matter how sterile it is.
It's not about people being lemmings or the opinion you hold about suburbs. It's about personal preference. You have yours, others have theirs. Neither is right or wrong.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It's not about people being lemmings or the opinion you hold about suburbs. It's about personal preference. You have yours, others have theirs. Neither is right or wrong.
LOL, A lemming for sure.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
No one cares what method of transportation you choose for yourself. Ride a bike or go-cart or whatever mode of transportation you prefer. It's your choice and you shouldn't let anyone influence it. If you allowed yourself to be influenced and now regret it, that's on you not anyone else.

Bottom line - If you don't want a car, don't own one. Just don't attempt to push your choice on others. Do them the same courtesy you expect and don't question their preferences or attempt to shame them into living car free.
It's blowhards doing the same exact opposite to me when I was completely ignoring them in the first place.
"Winter's coming, you'll freeze to death on that bicycle." "Have you even gotten a car yet?"
Nothing but consistent hounding under the cover of "being concerned about well-being".

I'm preparing to also just go into more debt via voluntary-repo if need be.
The thought of just owning what I have now is giving me ulcers.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 PM

Until you own and build personal roads, it is other people's business what you use for transportation.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Until you own and build personal roads, it is other people's business what you use for transportation.
And this inevitably contributes to the breaking down of society as a whole.
People just can't leave others well enough alone and fight tooth and nail to get them to come over to their side of thinking.

You want to drive an over-sized pickup with an exhaust that can be heard 10 miles away?
As much as I hate them, I won't stop you from driving it.

But continually pester me to get some monstrosity as that will only lead me to drive my own into a ditch in order to finally shut you up.
Yeah, I'll probably be tossed into the nut-house after destroying my own vehicle like that, but at least people will now stop bothering me about owning a vehicle.

Life is a war, and this is just one of the many drawn out battles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living