U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM

39,172 posts, read 40,553,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If someone wants to live in a cardboard shack, what business is it of yours?
I think that depends on where you plan on living in your cardboard shack. If you're going to put your cardboard shack in the middle of ten acres have a blast. Now if you want to build it directly adjacent to my house then I have problem with that becsue your choices are now effecting my property value and the way I want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,896,993 times
It should take more than the government getting a little angry to demolish a house. Government is here to serve the people, not serve its own interests. Is the house unsafe? No. It's an innovative, good looking house that isn't hurting anyone. It should stand.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM

6,505 posts, read 6,423,574 times
Quote:
Having read enough of the nonsense they've written over the years, I don't care what many judges think. Most of them care more about precedents than what is right, which simply perpetuates injustice.
Breakin' rocks in the hot sun
I fought the law and the law won (twice)
I needed money 'cause I had none
I fought the law and the law won (twice)

Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,192,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think that depends on where you plan on living in your cardboard shack. If you're going to put your cardboard shack in the middle of ten acres have a blast. Now if you want to build it directly adjacent to my house then I have problem with that becsue your choices are now effecting my property value and the way I want to live.
Your property values are none of my concern and you do not have a right to have your property values remain high. A person living in a shack across the road from you in no way directly impacts your lifestyle. Buying real estate is a gamble if you're concerned with selling it again in the future and making a profit. This is the fundamental problem with our society, everyone wants to control everyone else.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM

20,385 posts, read 37,680,871 times
Quote:
There's a major difference between driving against traffic on an interstate, putting lives at risk, and building one's own home without a silly permission slip.

If someone wants to live in a cardboard shack, what business is it of yours? Everyone would be a lot healthier, and the environment would be better off, if we did away with this worrying over making sure everyone buys into materialistic notions of what a home must be.

The only difference is in which laws YOU have decided that YOU get to obey or not based on YOUR personal preferences. It's actually quite a good comparison.

A responsible, adult person, faced with a law that they feel is inappropriate, works to change that law.

A childish, self-entitled person decides that the law that they don't like shouldn't, and therefore doesn't, apply to them. We all go through this at a very young age; most of us grow out of it.

I personally think that demolishing that house was a mistake, and building it without the appropriate permits was a mistake. So there are two mistakes at work here.

That doesn't mean that I think that I get to ignore whatever laws I don't like (and there are some), by fiat. It means that I do my dead level best to expose the laws that I think should be changed and work to get them changed.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:09 AM

16,935 posts, read 22,192,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The only difference is in which laws YOU have decided that YOU get to obey or not based on YOUR personal preferences. It's actually quite a good comparison.

A responsible, adult person, faced with a law that they feel is inappropriate, works to change that law.

A childish, self-entitled person decides that the law that they don't like shouldn't, and therefore doesn't, apply to them. We all go through this at a very young age; most of us grow out of it.

I personally think that demolishing that house was a mistake, and building it without the appropriate permits was a mistake. So there are two mistakes at work here.

That doesn't mean that I think that I get to ignore whatever laws I don't like (and there are some), by fiat. It means that I do my dead level best to expose the laws that I think should be changed and work to get them changed.
We have two very different attitudes towards the law and governments. My knowledge of history has erased any respect for governments and their laws I ever had. I'd be happy if governments were largely abolished. Do you know how many people were killed by their own governments in just the last century? Governments perpetuate inequality, injustice and the destruction of the environment.

Going against traffic on a highway and building one's own home without permits is an apples and oranges comparison. One puts lives at risk, one only puts tax revenues and materialistic snobbery at risk.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 AM

39,172 posts, read 40,553,882 times
Quote:
This is the fundamental problem with our society, everyone wants to control everyone else.
I don't agree or disagree with you, there's a compromise here. There is places I can put the the type of house I want, there is places you can put your cardboard shack. We both have the options for what we want, what's the problem?

Property value may be a gamble but I can mitigate those risks for example by building in a place you can't build a shack next to my house.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,252,238 times
Quote:
We have two very different attitudes towards the law and governments. My knowledge of history has erased any respect for governments and their laws I ever had. I'd be happy if governments were largely abolished. Do you know how many people were killed by their own governments in just the last century? Governments perpetuate inequality, injustice and the destruction of the environment.

Going against traffic on a highway and building one's own home without permits is an apples and oranges comparison. One puts lives at risk, one only puts tax revenues and materialistic snobbery at risk.
I believe you have a very skewed vision of history if you believe that inequality, injustice and enviornmental destruction only occur at the behest of government. Government actually reduces these ill measurable and consistently regardless of government type or modality. Society and human nature perpetuates these evils against the pressures applied by government. As a result, government is less that 100% effective because human perseverance is so enduring. Man will not relent and government cannot react as quickly as necessary to overcome human nature.

That coupled with the whimsical nature of puplic opinion, government is often counter effective against itself due to public direction.

We will have to admit we do not agree with respect to the degree building codes and compliance affect public safety. I though multistory buildings collapsing and killing hundreds or thousands of people would break through your mindset and allow you to realize that poorly constructed buildings (and inspectors in my area do compare the lot location with the permit description as well as safe building standards) are as dangerous as driving down the wrong side of the road, but it seems that people killed by non-compliance don't count as dead or injured in your world so I will abandon the attempt to discuss that issue any longer.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,392,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't agree or disagree with you, there's a compromise here. There is places I can put the the type of house I want, there is places you can put your cardboard shack. We both have the options for what we want, what's the problem?

Property value may be a gamble but I can mitigate those risks for example by building in a place you can't build a shack next to my house.
Agreed, but keep in mind that these "compromises" lesson more and more as government grows bigger and bigger. I talk to my grandfather about his past and the present as it concerns what rights we have, what choices we have as it concerns things. They are becoming fewer and fewer and eventually, there will be no real compromise, just a "perceived" one that exists of having to choose between the options the powers specifically limit you to, ie the fallacy of "I am either right, or you are wrong. Pick one, you still have a choice".

Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,392,107 times
Quote:
Your property values are none of my concern and you do not have a right to have your property values remain high. A person living in a shack across the road from you in no way directly impacts your lifestyle. Buying real estate is a gamble if you're concerned with selling it again in the future and making a profit. This is the fundamental problem with our society, everyone wants to control everyone else.
I agree with this. Allowing people to dictate to a property owner because of some subjective view as to what is acceptable and of value to the public is a dangerous road. It is an appeal to mob rule over the individual.

What if society developed the opinion that the ideal home is living in tents? What if that became the trend and due to such, a traditional home we see today is considered "tacky, bad taste, etc... and detours from the value of the tent properties". I know it sounds "silly" but the example itself is not the point, it is the mob dictating to individuals based on mob belief.

Society becomes one that does not concern itself with the individual, only what the group think values and a society of such can commit extreme acts of injustice as we can see quite often throughout history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living