U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,120,472 times

Advertisements

Incredible Natural Home Ordered to Be Destroyed | Charlie's Roundhouse

Quote:
This natural home has been ordered to be destroyed by planners in Wales

Today, justice has gone unserved. Photos and stories of Charlie’s roundhouse have been circulating the web for the past several months, especially when it was announced that Charlie and his family might have to demolish their incredible and artful home, since the house was deemed “harm[ful] to the character and appearance of the countryside” by Pembrokeshire County Council planners.

Once you see images and hear the story of the home’s construction, however, you will realize the true depths of the soullessness and inanity of the planners. True, the home was built without official permission, but the defense is groundless and faulty. Here is a couple that built an incredible and gorgeous shelter using natural materials, in a highly respectful and humble regard, stemming from a basic need for a healthy living space. And now? The order to demolish the home because it negatively affects “the character” of the landscape? Sounds like that is one kind of landscape that I would avoid, if it cannot accommodate a gorgeous and timeless structure such as Charlie’s roundhouse.....snipped......

I really hate this. I love this house and think it should be saved.

Last edited by AnnieA; 08-04-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,860,713 times
Can they obtain the proper permissions, in retrospect (pay fines or fees) to keep it?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM

22,706 posts, read 28,744,369 times
Isn't that the one that they built on public land and not on land they owned?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,120,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Isn't that the one that they built on public land and not on land they owned?
I don't know. In reading the article, they didnt get the permits to build. But, it says it doesn't fit in with the image Wales is trying to project........

Inside the house is beautiful. Of course, it isn't everyones style but it does have a place, especially using natural sources.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM

39,489 posts, read 40,805,534 times
That's unfortunate, that's a cool house but the article says they built it without permission which I'm assuming means they didn't have a permit. They should have followed the law.

Be aware there is similar laws here in the US, there are neighborhoods you need to build to local aesthetics. I'm on the fence about them becsue there is good arguments for both sides. People want to maintain their property values and if you wanted to build a house like that you can always do it somewhere.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,341,332 times
Yeh, you can't just pretend you can build anywhere and then expect the world to rush to your defense. I'm opposed to a lot of these laws. I think we imposed them on the Great Plains and destroyed a way of life many millenia old. But the fact is they are in place and courts will uphold them.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM

16,958 posts, read 22,274,224 times
Sometimes the law is just wrong and deserves zero respect.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM

6,530 posts, read 6,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
When you do that you lose your house.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,341,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But if you sue, the judge might not sympathize.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM

16,958 posts, read 22,274,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
But if you sue, the judge might not sympathize.
Having read enough of the nonsense they've written over the years, I don't care what many judges think. Most of them care more about precedents than what is right, which simply perpetuates injustice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living