Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Dreams are fine, but reality has a way of wedging itself in there. Goats can smell. The male perfume is not something someone with health issues wants to be around. Rabbits are notoriously difficult to keep healthy. Larger animals can kick and wound. All animals require some money to keep them fed and healthy AND well kept farm animals require care EVERY SINGLE DAY. No exceptions. A budget that requires public transportation is not a sanguine start to an organic farm.
Buck goats smell; the girls and the wethers (castrated males) don't.

One does not have to keep a buck goat; in fact, I don't recommend it even for those who live out of town and who are only breeding one or two does a year.

I breed one doe a year (for the milk) and I use a quality buck from a friend's goat dairy. It costs me $35.00 and a trip in with the doe in the back of my station wagon. If I don't catch the doe at the exact right time, it might mean an extra trip to the dairy (it's guaranteed breeding, so no extra cost there). Well worth it and much less cost (and hassle) than if I were keeping my own buck.

And if the OP and her mom just want the goats for fiber, there would be no reason for re-breeding every year - just if and when they want babies (if ever).

A couple of fiber goats, if maintained well, shouldn't make too much of a mess on a city lot. There would be daily clean-up and maintenance, to be sure, but for a dedicated person and someone who's committed to making it work, it could be done.

Good fencing, shelter, feed, minerals, worming, hoof care, etc. would also have to be considered.

As far as larger animals, I don't believe the OP mentioned anything larger than goats.

Edited to add: I went back and checked and see the OP did mention alpacas. Probably not as doable on a city lot as goats or rabbits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Unless the OP can find a working livestock farm already within the city limits (ie, grandfathered in because it existed as a livestock farm pre-zoning/pre-city sanitation regs), I don't see the OP having much success with this. Most cities prohibit keeping farm animals. Many suburbans prohibit them from residential zones as well. People wanting to keep urban chickens have had long, hard fights to do so, and for every success in getting hens approved, there's probably at least 1 failure and perhaps more. While you can make very rational arguments for why allowing chickens or livestock in the city would not adversely impact the QOL of surrounding neighbors, many will still object.

Even if a city were to allow farm animals, it would require an area significantly larger than a city lot, probably a minimum amount of land large enough to be measured in acres NOT square feet. Most city lots are probably between 3,000 and 10,000 square feet. An acre is 43,560 square feet.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
For any sort of large animal yes, but I don't think chickens require an outsized lot. You could make your backyard their pen, so long as you fence them effectively. Not sure what method takes care of the droppings. Not being in the country, I don't think a chicken owner could just say "let nature take care of them". I have a neighbor who has some, so I could ask him. But it would take very little land to make them free range as long they aren't jammed inside some building.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
For any sort of large animal yes, but I don't think chickens require an outsized lot. You could make your backyard their pen, so long as you fence them effectively. Not sure what method takes care of the droppings. Not being in the country, I don't think a chicken owner could just say "let nature take care of them". I have a neighbor who has some, so I could ask him. But it would take very little land to make them free range as long they aren't jammed inside some building.
Many, many communities and cities are allowing a small flock of chickens now in residential areas.

There is usually a limit to the number you can have and roosters are usually not allowed because of the crowing.

There are building plans available for small, backyard coops, as well as ready-made coops that will hold three or four hens:

Tractor Supply Online Store - Enjoy searching:chicken coop pen hutch

There is also a forum dedicated to this topic called, what else? "Backyard Chickens."

BYC Forum

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Dreams are fine, but reality has a way of wedging itself in there. Goats can smell. The male perfume is not something someone with health issues wants to be around. Rabbits are notoriously difficult to keep healthy. Larger animals can kick and wound. All animals require some money to keep them fed and healthy AND well kept farm animals require care EVERY SINGLE DAY. No exceptions. A budget that requires public transportation is not a sanguine start to an organic farm.
I have had rabbits for over 20 years now, I bred them for meat at one time and now just keep a few for the manure. I never found them difficult to keep healthy and they have gone throught extremes from a low of 15º one winter week and a high of 118º one summer that had 2 months of temperatures from the mid 90's to the 110's. My oldest rabbit died last year at the ripe old age of 14 and he and all my rabbits have been outdoors in cages kept in an open shed structure.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Many small and medium sized cities allow farm animals. It’s all a matter of Zoning. Anyone considering farm animals will first have to check that city's zoning regulations to see what is allowed on what type zoned property. With that in hand, you will need to limit your property search to those with the appropriate zoning. There are cities of over 1.4 million people that have working farms within city limits.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Currently we have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 9 cockatiels of which one is 21 years old, a blue crowned conure, 13 budgerigars, a rooster, 7 chickens and 5 chicks. I may also be adopting a female patagonian conure if things work out. One of the rabbits is a small chocholate brown male bunny that showed up in my yard and one of the budgies is a blue male that also showed up in my yard. The blue crowned conure showed up at my boss' house back in 95. Our town is unincorporated and considered rural, most of Humboldt county is rural.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have had rabbits for over 20 years now, I bred them for meat at one time and now just keep a few for the manure. I never found them difficult to keep healthy and they have gone throught extremes from a low of 15º one winter week and a high of 118º one summer that had 2 months of temperatures from the mid 90's to the 110's. My oldest rabbit died last year at the ripe old age of 14 and he and all my rabbits have been outdoors in cages kept in an open shed structure.
Minnesota gets into negative temperatures, and we have an ever-growing popoulation of wild rabbits, so I guess I wouldnt worry about the hardiness of rabbits.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I doubt that there is any city that has a public transportation system good enough that no car is needed, that will also allow enough farm animals to produce fiber in a commercial amounts.

Alpaca farms in my area that produce fiber have more than 50 alpacas. Some have over 100 alpacas. You can't fit that into a back yard.

You can raise angora rabbits in a garage, in town, but a couple of dozen rabbits won't give you squat for fiber. It would take years to get enough for one sweater.

OP would be more successful to buy a small farm outside the city limits and figure out an alternate way to get Mom to the doctor.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM

I always say that transit runs out to the 'burbs, and you can find a place that allows a short trip to reach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living