Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Did you actually read the study or are you basing your comments on the short newspaper article you quoted?

Everyone I know in both the solar industry and the electric utility industry have acknowledged that widespread adoption of renewable energy will bring big changes in how our large utilities do business.
For many decades power companies provided both distribution and production. In the future your local power company will handle the distribution end and you will be free to buy production from multiple sources. Throughout this transition there will be changes in how rates are structured.

Improved technology has changed many industries. Cell phones have changed the communications industry and the internet has changed the TV industry. Renewable energy will change how the local power company operates.

Are you suggesting that because there will be changes in the industry, that renewable energy is a bad thing? Assuming you live in California, if you remember 30 cent per gallon gasoline, you must also remember $5.00 per gallon gasoline. In the time gas went from 30 cents to Five Dollars, how much did your electric bill go up? And how is having two options (gasoline & electric) for personal transportation worse than having one option?
Never gonna happen in the Public Power arena. If they don't like my Hz they can get a bucket and carry their own PUC prevents wheeling into my service territory .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Never gonna happen in the Public Power arena. If they don't like my Hz they can get a bucket and carry their own PUC prevents wheeling into my service territory .
That is probably what the TV Stations and Phone Companies thought.
Thought their monopolies would last forever.
Times change, evolve or die.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
That is probably what the TV Stations and Phone Companies thought.
Thought their monopolies would last forever.
Times change, evolve or die.

UMMM Study up on the difference between PUBLIC power and INVESTOR owned....
Allow me....
Public utility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Investor-owned utility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Public power is a collection of more than 2,000 community-owned electric
utilities, serving more than 47 million people or about 14 percent of the
nation's electricity consumers.

Public power utilities are operated by local governments to provide
communities with reliable, responsive, not-for-profit electric service. Public
power utilities are directly accountable to the people they serve through local
elected or appointed officials.

Some of the nation's largest cities – Los Angeles, San Antonio, Seattle and
Orlando – operate publicly owned electric utilities, but many public power
communities are small with their utilities serving 3,000 or fewer customers
http://publicpower.org/about/index.cfm?navItemNumber=37583

Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
MY54ford's retail member will open up their wires for retail wheeling. They have no love for their power supplier.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Study up on the difference between PUBLIC power and INVESTOR owned....
Very familar with Public utilities. Here in Colorado they will not be immune from the changes brought by renewable energy. In fact the one being set up right now in Colorado is because our local investor owned public utility is not embracing renewable energy quickly enough.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Very familar with Public utilities. Here in Colorado they will not be immune from the changes brought by renewable energy. In fact the one being set up right now in Colorado is because our local investor owned public utility is not embracing renewable energy quickly enough.

Better review the lesson.... Can't be an IOU and a Public owned Municiplal utility at the same time.. It's one or the other

Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Better review the lesson.... Can't be an IOU and a Public owned Municiplal utility at the same time.. It's one or the other
Better reread my post....A city in Colorado is setting up a City owned utility because the current
Investor owned utility is not embracing renewable energy quickly enough.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Better reread my post....A city in Colorado is setting up a City owned utility because the current
Investor owned utility is not embracing renewable energy quickly enough.

Quote:
In fact the one being set up right now in Colorado is because our local investor
owned public utility is not embracing renewable energy quickly enough

P.S. If you think Excel is gonna lose a fight, better think again......
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thebalan...utility/11059/
Minneapolis just went through the same thing....

http://www.startribune.com/local/min...217034911.html

Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
It's very expensive to convert an IOU to a municipally owned utility. While in most cases a city can condemn and take over the system, they then have to pay the IOU the fair market value of what has been taken.
With good expert witnesses setting a value, the IOU can make that very expensive. In addition, the IOU typically has some strong allies (think political contributions) at some level of state and local government that makes this politically difficult.

MY54Ford has a power supplier's perspective on PV, which is fear of a competitor. To see the attitude of a retail distribution municipal, you should check out Austin Energy.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's very expensive to convert an IOU to a municipally owned utility. While in most cases a city can condemn and take over the system, they then have to pay the IOU the fair market value of what has been taken.
With good expert witnesses setting a value, the IOU can make that very expensive. In addition, the IOU typically has some strong allies (think political contributions) at some level of state and local government that makes this politically difficult.

MY54Ford has a power supplier's perspective on PV, which is fear of a competitor. To see the attitude of a retail distribution municipal, you should check out Austin Energy.
Pretty sure we don't fear competition. I think our power sale agreements are safe. Actually I'm a renewable energy supporter, as long as it's managed as portion of a boad based energy portfoilo and not a headlong flight to dump one resource for the other.My employer as well as our Member communities have already installed several types of renewable energy resources. (a couple of which I personally developed and managed construction or implementation of.) The other side of the coin is that I get direct benefit from that fact that our wind and solar projects have driven us to modernize our distributed generation assets (120mws C-RICE) as well as to design and construct 2 modern intermediate load S-RICE powerplants. (Both of which I get to build and manage)....Job security baby!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living