Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

From what I've read, the only reason these are still being put up is that the govt. is still funding some of these ventures. Eventually, they will not be built anymore. Its nothing more than another govt. boondoggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
From what I've read, the only reason these are still being put up is that the govt. is still funding some of these ventures. Eventually, they will not be built anymore. Its nothing more than another govt. boondoggle.
You should read more broadly. Most state utility commissions require a portion of each utility's power to be sourced from renewable resources. Additionally the cost of both wind and solar energy is dropping dramatically as the government programs designed to spur innovation has succeeded. Finally technologies like coal that cause significant environmental and health problems are being forced to clean up their exhaust, reducing any perceived cost advantage.

Here's an example of the trend in pv costs. Think these things through and don't rely on silly Internet sites for all your information.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Guess again, ERCOT is actually connected to the grid in 4 places...............If one reviews the wind overlay you will see that much of the Eastern wind farms are Nationel grid tied as well......apVisualizing The U.S. Electric Grid : NPR
The DC ties that interconnect Texas with the other grids are quite small and insufficient to keep the markets for energy linked. It also prevents utilities in close physical proximity from assisting others in times of emergency.

From a purely economic standpoint, the larger the market, the more efficiently it will perform. Out of ego Texas choses not to interconnect. That's poor policy.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The DC ties that interconnect Texas with the other grids are quite small and insufficient to keep the markets for energy linked. It also prevents utilities in close physical proximity from assisting others in times of emergency.

From a purely economic standpoint, the larger the market, the more efficiently it will perform. Out of ego Texas choses not to interconnect. That's poor policy.
To imply that the Texas Interconnect stands somewhat alone out of hubris or ego or that the economics of the larger East/West interconnects are superior would, in my opinion, be a moderately egregious misrepresentation . The reality is not that a larger market will operate more efficiently at all. The reality is that a larger market necessarily incorporates several layers of independent bureaucracy, provides more opportunity for political malfeasance and is more vulnerable to unilateral action at the micro level that will have macro impact without recourse to the impacted. The Texas interconnect is far from perfect (and, in fact, needs to be totally overhauled), but it's a picture of efficiency and harmonious function when contrasted against its counterparts.

Also, "utilities in close physical proximity assisting others in times of emergency" isn't necessarily a good thing. Well, let me restate that - it's a good thing for the areas that are over-consuming. For example, why is Lake Mead so low?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Sorry Cleonidas, perhaps your not old enough to understand formation of ERCOT It was 100% ego driven.

Almost by definition larger markets are more efficient. Again probably not your fault, just a gap in your education.

For Lake Mead water level, it's spelled D R O U G H T

Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry Cleonidas, perhaps your not old enough to understand formation of ERCOT It was 100% ego driven.

Almost by definition larger markets are more efficient. Again probably not your fault, just a gap in your education.

For Lake Mead water level, it's spelled D R O U G H T
This is a fairly paltry response for having such a condescending tone.

Please explain how it is that you are so certain that the formation of ERCOT was 100% ego driven? I'm left wondering if that isn't what you heard your parents discussing at the breakfast table all those years ago and internalized it as beyond question.

I'm also left wondering how well you actually understand power distribution. Gap in your education?

With regard to Lake Mead, drought certainly plays a significant role, however, the power demands in California have the dam moving unsustainable rates in a "relief" capacity. If I was a Nevada resident with access to a great public resource like Lake Mead, I don't think I would be very happy watching the waterline recede to keep those folks in the valley air conditioned. In fact, I would probably be thinking something like "This is B.S., since we have this enormous capacity for hydroelectric why don't we have our own power grid and ERCON?"

Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Quote:
You should read more broadly.
Here's an example of the trend in pv costs. Think these things through and don't rely on silly Internet sites for all your information.
Yes, exactly. There was a time, years ago, when you might have said something like that and had a leg to stand on, back when it was uncertain whether wind or solar power could be made to work. Today, no, it's no longer a question. We already have wind and solar installations operating on a price parity with fossil fuel generation, with no carbon emissions, and costs are still falling.

Meanwhile stricter regulations are kicking in, and standards are being raised. See what I posted in another thread about the Tennessee Valley Authority closing down coal fired generators and replacing them with renewable energy. This is no fad. It's the future.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
This is a fairly paltry response for having such a condescending tone.

Please explain how it is that you are so certain that the formation of ERCOT was 100% ego driven? I'm left wondering if that isn't what you heard your parents discussing at the breakfast table all those years ago and internalized it as beyond question.

I'm old enough to have know the people who were involved. I'm also from the industry and got my EE degree in Texas.

I'm also left wondering how well you actually understand power distribution. Gap in your education? BSEE Power System + over 40 years experience. PE

With regard to Lake Mead, drought certainly plays a significant role, however, the power demands in California have the dam moving unsustainable rates in a "relief" capacity. If I was a Nevada resident with access to a great public resource like Lake Mead, I don't think I would be very happy watching the waterline recede to keep those folks in the valley air conditioned. In fact, I would probably be thinking something like "This is B.S., since we have this enormous capacity for hydroelectric why don't we have our own power grid and ERCON?"
Nevada residents may well wonder that but they can't legally stop the Feds from exporting power to California.

What's your background.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Nevada residents may well wonder that but they can't legally stop the Feds from exporting power to California.

What's your background.
That's actually exactly what I'm getting at.

BSE/JD... Still have my original hair color, though.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
That's actually exactly what I'm getting at.

BSE/JD... Still have my original hair color, though.
But not a professional engineer, right? Every work in the industry in a technical capacity or are you a lawyer with a technical undergraduate degree?

And what exactly are you getting at? That California utilities have as much right to the energy from Lake Mead as residents of Nevada? Or that even creating a ERCOT style fence around Nevada wouldn't keep power from being sent to California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living