Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 PM

19 posts, read 25,755 times

Advertisements

I know the conveyor belt/thermohaline circulation could shut down because more warming in the Arctic would mean the icebergs and caps, which are 100% fresh water, could melt and make the water too fresh to produce the dense, cold waters form into deep water currents, moving toward the equator. But a couple things confuse me about this scenario.

1. When the polar areas grow warmer, there is more evaporation, which leaves salt behind.

2. Warmer air can hold more water vapour, which means there would be greater potential for snow to form.

But another thing that would make the poles even warmer would be the release of methane from clathrates, which would happen more so than it already is, which also fits into the thermohaline shutdown scenario.

By the way...I saw the sticky which said it's not kay to talk about climate change. If a moderator sees this, could you tell me if I am going to have this thread closed, or be banned for speaking about issues related to climate change? Even if I am civil in my discussion? It's nice to have a forum to discuss these confusing matters. Asking about these sorts of things on Yahoo Answers never goes anywhere, as you can probably imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaanne View Post
I know the conveyor belt/thermohaline circulation could shut down because more warming in the Arctic would mean the icebergs and caps, which are 100% fresh water, could melt and make the water too fresh to produce the dense, cold waters form into deep water currents, moving toward the equator. But a couple things confuse me about this scenario.

1. When the polar areas grow warmer, there is more evaporation, which leaves salt behind.

2. Warmer air can hold more water vapour, which means there would be greater potential for snow to form.

But another thing that would make the poles even warmer would be the release of methane from clathrates, which would happen more so than it already is, which also fits into the thermohaline shutdown scenario.
You're already operating above my grade level on this topic. You might want to look for a more specialized discussion, on a more narrowly defined technical forum.

Quote:
By the way...I saw the sticky which said it's not kay to talk about climate change. If a moderator sees this, could you tell me if I am going to have this thread closed, or be banned for speaking about issues related to climate change? Even if I am civil in my discussion?
That isn't what it says. Read it again. What makes threads problematic for the moderators is when they get into contentious political wrangles, and unfortunately this is a topic area that has become highly politicized. As long as we speak respectfully there's no problem, but there's no controlling who else might show up.

Quote:
It's nice to have a forum to discuss these confusing matters. Asking about these sorts of things on Yahoo Answers never goes anywhere, as you can probably imagine.
I have no idea, because I don't ever use that site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living