U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:30 PM

12,520 posts, read 16,612,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
We use a wood pellet stove, they burn clean and heat the house nicely.
Same here in west Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
No moon tonite..Got a pile of tires that are getting burned up MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Today the tire shop wanted $20 to dispose of a small 28" tractor tire they changed out for me. Not that I blame the tire shop but I can burn the tire, or throw it into a landfill, as well as they can.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,565,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
'City dwellers' buy 'cheap rural land' to build homes on, and they do Ag burning? And this happens everywhere? You are describing a metaphor that I do not think I have ever seen.
You misunderstood what I was saying. City dwellers buy cheap Ag land to live on, and then complain about all kinds of Ag practices that were going on long before they were resident. That includes Ag burning, crop spraying, dust from cultivation, smells and insects from livestock, etc.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,565,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
No moon tonite..Got a pile of tires that are getting burned up MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Today the tire shop wanted $20 to dispose of a small 28" tractor tire they changed out for me. Not that I blame the tire shop but I can burn the tire, or throw it into a landfill, as well as they can.
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. Nothing like a good joke about polluting the environment, and damaging our grandchildren's heritage.

Proper recycling tires saves resources and reduces pollution. If that tire shop is charging a recycling fee but not actually recycling the tire they are not only breaking the law. but committing fraud.

As for burning tires tonight, it's not going to be dark, because it's actually a waning gibbous moon, just a skosh past a full moon, and so it should be pretty bright out tonight. Maybe a right-thinking neighbor will turn you in to the proper authorities.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 PM

30,652 posts, read 49,332,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
... As for burning tires tonight, it's not going to be dark, because it's actually a waning gibbous moon, just a skosh past a full moon, and so it should be pretty bright out tonight. Maybe a right-thinking neighbor will turn you in to the proper authorities.
If a neighbor is near enough to see it, then clearly the area is not rural. He/she should be turned in for burning in a urban neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. Nothing like a good joke about polluting the environment, and damaging our grandchildren's heritage.

Proper recycling tires saves resources and reduces pollution. If that tire shop is charging a recycling fee but not actually recycling the tire they are not only breaking the law. but committing fraud.
I have as much control over the laws that control the tire company as the laws that allow a wealthy city corporation to build their unsightly wind turbines all around my farm house simply because it's a politically-easier target than in their own backyard. I'm sure my grandchildren will do as well as I did in a world run by money and politics.

BTW, one can SEE 40 miles in any direction out here. My nearest neighbor is nearly 3/4 of a mile away and wouldn't care if I set fire to my house and barns except they would come running to see if my family was hurt.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 PM

6,512 posts, read 6,437,191 times
There are wind turbines that you can see because your neighbors want them.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 PM

I have ONE neighbor and they do not want them.

BTW, I can't see any turbines yet and hopefully I never will.

But this thread is about the Federal regulation of wood stoves. I personally think they are great ways to heat in some areas and should only be regulated locally if necessary.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-19-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 05:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 6,437,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have ONE neighbor and they do not want them.
Then apparently you've never heard to story of the boy who cried wolf. Wind turbines are installed with the permission and compensation of land owners.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM

I know from a decade of personal experience how D.C. folks like to draw broad assumptions based more on partisan politics than on knowledge but neither my neighbor or I will be compensated for anything.

OP, I apologize for the diversion which my comment seems to have started. I will refrain from pursuing this here further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living