Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

The article says ban, and I do think that's where this is heading, but for now they will pressure and offer cities incentives - they want us all on the grid - it's about control. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with health or particulates.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/1...urning-stoves/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
In fact it is entirely about health and particulates.

Wood smoke is a highly toxic substance. My brother built a house entirely heated by a wood stove, but within a few years he had to remove it and replace it with a propane furnace after his wife developed a severe repiratory condition from the woodsmoke.

In Asia about 8,000,000 people a year die from the effects of breathing smoke from their wood cooking fires. And even seconhand smoke from woodstoves can be dangerous to other people's health. I have neighbors who have put their house on the market because a neighbor's woodfires make them sick.

The EPA has no interest in controlling you. Their portfolio is really what their name suggests.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
EPA has required certified stoves for at least 20 years. The first ones made had issues, but the newer certified stoves work just fine

In Oregon, you can not sell a house with a non-certified wood stove. The stove must be replaced when the house changes hands. It's been that way since the mid 1990's.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In fact it is entirely about health and particulates.

Wood smoke is a highly toxic substance. My brother built a house entirely heated by a wood stove, but within a few years he had to remove it and replace it with a propane furnace after his wife developed a severe repiratory condition from the woodsmoke.

In Asia about 8,000,000 people a year die from the effects of breathing smoke from their wood cooking fires. And even seconhand smoke from woodstoves can be dangerous to other people's health. I have neighbors who have put their house on the market because a neighbor's woodfires make them sick.

The EPA has no interest in controlling you. Their portfolio is really what their name suggests.
How is the EPA going to regulate wood stoves in Asia? It can't and therefore even bringing it up isn't relevant. Lots of people die from lots of things in Asia which don't happen in the USA, so what?

If particulates and health was their true portfolio, explain grandfathered cement plants that are exempt from particulate emissions.

Properly constructed and used, wood stoves aren't on the top list of things killing people. You get respiratory problems from wood smoke if you are incompetent when selecting it, installing it and using it.

Nickles can cause cancer, they are still in circulation.

The bottom line is everything is dangerous under certain conditions. Many people die every year because they failed to allow for air exchange when using a propane heater. They still sell them and the low oxygen shutoffs don't prevent the brain damage from lack of oxygen.

The OP is right, try to build a house in certain places using a total off-grid energy system. Not going to happen, you'll be forced to include grid tied sources whether you like it or not.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
How is the EPA going to regulate wood stoves in Asia? It can't and therefore even bringing it up isn't relevant. Lots of people die from lots of things in Asia which don't happen in the USA, so what?

If particulates and health was their true portfolio, explain grandfathered cement plants that are exempt from particulate emissions.

Properly constructed and used, wood stoves aren't on the top list of things killing people. You get respiratory problems from wood smoke if you are incompetent when selecting it, installing it and using it.

The bottom line is everything is dangerous under certain conditions. Many people die every year because they failed to allow for air exchange when using a propane heater. They still sell them and the low oxygen shutoffs don't prevent the brain damage from lack of oxygen.

The OP is right, try to build a house in certain places using a total off-grid energy system. Not going to happen, you'll be forced to include grid tied sources whether you like it or not.
Sounds like a lot of whining and excuses, what exactly are you arguing for?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In my opinion, this has nothing to do with health or particulates.
Which, like auto emission tests, is about population density.

I wish someone would regulate my neighbors woodstove.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Sounds like a lot of whining and excuses, what exactly are you arguing for?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
EPA has required certified stoves for at least 20 years. The first ones made had issues, but the newer certified stoves work just fine
Exactly. The EPA began requiring certified stoves in 1988, so this is not even remotely a new issue. And the article cited is deceptive, because what is banned by the EPA is the sale of older, non-compliant designs.

Quote:
In Oregon, you can not sell a house with a non-certified wood stove. The stove must be replaced when the house changes hands. It's been that way since the mid 1990's.
This was already a heated topic (heh) when I lived in Colorado in the early 70s, and the air quality issues in Denver and other communities were beginning to come to the fore. There was already a moratorium in effect on the issuance of permits for new fireplace and wood stove installations in Denver maybe 20 years before they really started clamping down on all wood fires during Bad Air periods around 1990.

Since then many communities have clamped down on new installations of wood burning equipment of any kind, and on the use of fireplace and woodstoves because of the toxicity of their smoke. Missoula, Montana comes to mind, as does Salt Lake City, Utah, and towns like Quincy in Lower Michigan.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Obviously I was referring to the high toxicity of wood smoke, an absolutely undeniable scientific and medical fact, yet one that sadly, many Americans remain quite ignorant of. No reasonable person would infer that I was saying anything about the EPA regulating anything in Asia.

Quote:
Red herring fallacy. This has no relevance to the topic of wood stoves.

Quote:
Properly constructed and used, wood stoves aren't on the top list of things killing people.
No, but they are high on the list of controllable sources of air pollution, and in some areas in the US they are responsible for more air pollution than motor vehicles are.

Quote:
You get respiratory problems from wood smoke if you are incompetent when selecting it, installing it and using it.
You can also get respiratory problems from wood smoke even if you are completely competent when selecting it, installing it and using it, as my brother was. And you can also get respiratory problems from just living next door to someone who burns wood regularly. Even the very best wood stoves put some toxic pollution into the air. What the EPA is involved in is setting reasonable standards that must be met.

Quote:
Another red herring fallacy. This has no relevance to the topic of the EPA regulation of wood stoves because of the toxicity of wood smoke.

Quote:
Yet another red herring fallacy, which also has no relevance to the topic.

Quote:
In urban areas, yes, you're going to run into various requirements to be tied into community water and sewer supplies, and to the electrical grid, in order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. That primarily has to do with the public health standards and requirements of that community.

I happen to live in an area where there are literally thousands of people living off the grid, and in my village the US Census Bureau reports that fully one third of the houses use wood fires as their primary, or solitary, source of heat. Ironically, around here the biggest complaint seems to be people trying to get ON the grid, who can't, because of a current shortage of utility resources.

In neither case... "MUST grid-tie" or "CAN'T grid-tie"... is it logical to assume that the EPA is setting air quality standards and enforcing them for any other reason than to improve air quality across the US.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
if burning wood is so toxic, why are they letting so many wildfires burn. Seems to be a new policy not to clear the brush, just let the fires grow to thousands upon thousands of acres, while they watch n report - meanwhile we are all breathing that in, especially around here in northern CA. If wood is so toxic, maybe we should stop building houses out of it.
I read that when they started putting the regulations in, a lot of stove builders went out of business, because it's difficult to get it to burn or function with the increasing restrictions. We just got a new one, and I find that I have to leave the door open so it gets enough air, until it's roaring, then I can close it. This one is bigger than our old one, and the wood burns slower, but the flu has to be open all the way at all times or it dies.
We are not giving up our woodstove, we simply cannot afford to. We are being bombarded with particulates nano size from the chemtrails, my stove is not the problem. When we were in Taos, the smell from the fireplaces was wonderful, don't know what they burn, but it smells divine. One of God's blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living