Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Water has chemical bonds and what does chemical bonds have to do with it

What are you saying that water has no energy? Than why does hydrogen have energy?
A lesson in releasing chemical energy is beyond the scope of a message board. If you don't understand the fundamentals you lack the science to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, OK... but this is Science 101 material.

Water is a compound of oxygen and hydrogen, and is quite stable. Hydrogen is an element, and it is very reactive and easily oxidized, which releases energy.

To use hydrogen as a fuel it must be separated from water or from natural gas, etc., which requires energy, such as electricity from a solar panel. Hydrogen can be transported in a tank, electricity can't. So producing hydrogen to use as a fuel in a car is basically a way of transporting energy.

What is differnce if you burning element or molecule? What determine what is energy or not that you burning ?

Why does some have energy and others not?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What is differnce if you burning element or molecule? What determine what is energy or not that you burning ?

Why does some have energy and others not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
A lesson in releasing chemical energy is beyond the scope of a message board. If you don't understand the fundamentals you lack the science to understand.
Sweat, you won't get your questions answered here. It is not the purpose of this forum to give you a basic education.

If you don't have access to a school to learn basic science, or a public library, you may be able to find online resources to help. I suggest you start by looking up the basic concepts you're asking about on www.wikipedia.com. And for excellent free classes, register at https://www.khanacademy.org/

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
so what would be the cost of filling up my tank with hydrogen and how many miles can I go on a fill?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM

We won't know for sure until the production model specs are released, but preliminary figures are comparable to gasoline cars on both counts... fuel cost and range.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
A better question would be cost per mile - which I believe is your objective with knowing how to fill it up and how far you can go on a fill-up.

However, as I have found out with my truck, it isn't just the $4/gal diesel and 18 mpg (.22 per mile) that you need to look at. It is also the maintenance. The $300 oil change (every 5k miles or $.06 ) and $200 fuel filter changes (every 15k miles or .013 per mile). Once you get to the higher mileage, the tranny and coolant flushes are in the hundreds too probably both might add another .01 per mile. DEF use is anywhere from $.005 to $.01 per mile. Total without taking tires, brakes, and belts into account is around .30 per mile.

Compared to our Volt. Which we will only have one oil change every two years (because you HAVE to change it every 2 years and costs $19.95 to change or around ). Electric cost is $.03 per mile and fuel cost is $.10 per mile.

My point is to make sure that the "fill-up" of the hydrogen car represents the majority of the cost per mile of driving. So if I said $.50 to fill up for 300 miles, but every 5,000 miles you have to change a catalyst at a cost of $2000, it would cost more than my diesel truck to drive at $.40 per mile.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
I'm not close to fuel cell development this time around, but last time the developers never got membrane life to competitive levels.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I think going back to steam power (or a steam-electric hybrid) offers more potential at this point.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
How are you getting the "steam"? Burning wood or coal again?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
A better question would be cost per mile - which I believe is your objective with knowing how to fill it up and how far you can go on a fill-up.
I think that fuel cost per mile, total operating cost per mile and vehicle range are better questions, yes. Cost per fill up is a goody stat... "Well, lessee... it costs about $6 to fill up my motorcycle, and more than $70 to fill my pickup... but then again, the pickup truck gets better mileage... "

Another factor that I predict will be be disruptive is that EVs and Hybrids and Fuel Cell cars will all have different maintenance cycles and different effective service lives. And a lot of the factors which go into those won't be fully known until we've been using them for a while. But I'm betting that hybrids will last longer than straight ICE vehicles, and pure EVs will last twice as long at least, but that longevity will be offset by a couple of battery replacements, at least. Fuel cells I can't really guess at, because I have no experience with them, and field reports on the few on the road so far are pretty sketchy.

But the fuel cost per mile is the short-term look, while the total operational cost per mile is the more meaningful long-term look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living